Author Topic: Potential outtage  (Read 1738 times)

Offline Kirsten

• Administrator
  • Have a flufftastic day!
  • Mood: Okay
  • SDC interest: owner-trainer
Potential outtage
« on: March 12, 2010, 08:23:38 AM »
I've had a falling out with the company from which I lease server space.  Though our agreement was for unlimited space, they have reneged and are now claiming that though I am still permitted to have an unlimited number of sites, I have too many files and all of my sites may be "deactivated."

I spent all night carefully backing up and downloading EVERYTHING.  There's 15 minutes remaining on the last piece to download to my 1 TB (terabyte, ie 1,000 GB) backup drive.  Yeah.  Not even close to using a tenth of it and they figure I'm storing my photos and personal stuff on my server space instead.  Hmmmmm.  No, I'm not in a terribly good mood right now.

Anyway, it looks like I'll be changing servers.  It's possible the change will be seamless.  It's possible there will be some DNS problems and some people may take up to a day for their computers to be able to find us again (we'll still be at the same URL, servicedogcentral.org--it's just our listing in that great internet directory in the sky may hiccup when we move).

My greater concern is if they suddenly decide to deactivate my sites before I get them moved.  Rest assured that if this site goes down it will be back up in a matter of days at most.  That's what I want you to know.  If you get error messages saying we don't exist, just be patient and try back later.  We may be changing servers, but we aren't going anywhere, I promise.
Kirsten and Tardis
In loving memory of Cole (1/11/99 - 6/26/12)  He gave me back my life.

"The one absolute, unselfish friend that man can have in this selfish world -- the one that never proves ungrateful or treacherous -- is his dog." -George G. Vest

Offline Kirsten

• Administrator
  • Have a flufftastic day!
  • Mood: Okay
  • SDC interest: owner-trainer
Re: Potential outtage
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2010, 08:41:15 AM »
Done.  compressed, my entire internet empire takes up a whole 1.5 GB.  Let's assume it's twice that expanded or 3 GB.  How much is that really?  For comparison, a DVD holds 4.7 GB.  So yeah.  This site and the seven others I host together would all fit easily on a single DVD, and I'm taking up too much space to suit them.  Grrrrr.
Kirsten and Tardis
In loving memory of Cole (1/11/99 - 6/26/12)  He gave me back my life.

"The one absolute, unselfish friend that man can have in this selfish world -- the one that never proves ungrateful or treacherous -- is his dog." -George G. Vest