Author Topic: How Often To Vaccinate  (Read 13600 times)

Offline k1maplewd

• Old Timer
  • Mood: Happy
  • SDC interest: SD partner
Re: How Often To Vaccinate
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2007, 04:49:57 PM »
Here in MA you have to rabies vaccinate every 3yrs, well there is actually a tiny glitch in the system.  The 1st and 2nd cannot be more than 364 days apart (so if you are at 365 days apart and they get the 2nd vax it is NOT considered a 3yr but still a 1 even though it is the SAME vaccine!!!)  Then technically once you get on the 3yr protocol your dog stays on it.  But some vets will try to convince you otherwise, if you screw up and miss the 3yr booster by even a day, that the dog is now back to 1yr, even if that dog has had 3yr boosters for his whole life and he is now 11yrs old!  A vet did this to my sister with her 11yr old BC mix, and I had to walk in there with the law in hand and give them an education. 

AFAIK, no other vaccines are required in MA by law.  Training schools can make up their own rules.  I just titer for Distemper/Parvo/Lepto and if the dog comes back with a titer saying he's got immunity then I don't vaccinate.

Interesting story, I have flat coats, who tend to die young due to cancer.  It is known that some dogs can develop tumors at injection sites of vaccines.  So I decided with Niche, I was just going to titer and never vax other than rabies (because MA is so neurotic and I didn't have the energy to fight with my town/state about it.  Basically here your dog has to nearly die from the rabies vax to be considered exempt from it with titers as acceptable).  He is now 3yrs old and never been vax other than an initial rabies vax at 6months and the booster a year later to get on a 3yr protocol.  His titers come back positve every time they are done. 

Now this was a CHANCE I TOOK.  It very well could have back fired in my face and he could have gotten parvo or distemper or lepto.  But I did a LOT of research before I decided to just titer.  And when he was a pup I was very careful to what dogs and places he was exposed to.  He still got tremendous amounts of socilization, just very careful about it.  I DO NOT recommend you do it without vet supervision!!!!!!

Katrin 
Katrin & Tom

Offline k1maplewd

• Old Timer
  • Mood: Happy
  • SDC interest: SD partner
Re: How Often To Vaccinate
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2007, 05:01:57 PM »
Forgot to add, Niche is NOT a SD or SDIT.  He is a pet/performance dog.  My protocol with James, my SD, is different due to the fact that he IS out in public places so often.  I just think it is interesting that a dog can keep immunity to things from being exposed to dogs that have been vax and are still shedding the vax.  My vet thinks it's interesting too.   

Katrin 
Katrin & Tom