Author Topic: Protection From The Heat Of Summer  (Read 14249 times)

Offline Spectrum

• BANNED
  • It's smaller on the outside!
  • Mood: Tired
  • SDC interest: SD partner
Re: Protection From The Heat Of Summer
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2011, 10:20:00 PM »
I use a tailgate lock on the back of my vehicle. It's handy when I want to leave the door wide open too but not keep the engine battery running. With this the engine thinks the door is shut. It's great as it keeps a space for air flow & keeps thieves out (depending on what size you get) They are pricey all over the net but well worth it!! Shop around though, I didn't get mine from this website - I just ran a quick google.
?Tailgate lock

Then there are these... I'm always, always, always, always, always being stopped & asked where I get these (did I mention I'm always being asked about this?) I keep spare in the boot with original receipt & sell them to people who ask. I sold one a couple days ago to a cop! lol I bought mine from Ray Allen They are pricey, but there's are the largest & most secure online. I have purchased the cheaper ones I've seen elsewhere to see the difference. They are much more flimsy & smaller. Ray Allens are strong I know for a fact... I locked myself out once & couldn't shake them loose.
?Ray Allen: for window vent guards eek, link isn't sticking. Go to Auto section & look for them.

Jeffers Pets has window vent guards for around $5. I have two, one for each back window. They don't so much if it's really hot out, but it's nice for when it's cooler at night and I leave a dog in the car while I grab a few things in the store. They're also good if you have a dog that tends to stick their head out the window when they're down (mine don't since they're buckled up and in a down when we're in motion).  They do interferes some with visibility so I tend to use them only when we're parked...but my car has terrible visibility to begin with.
"Truth is singular. Lies are words, words, words." ~Madame Vastra
AKC/UKC PT'D Moxie's Adamantium Man RA RO1 CA HIC CGC TT, SD
Gavroche de la Rue RA RO1 CGC, ESA

Offline FrostedAcres

• Old Timer
  • Mood: Evil
« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2011, 06:51:33 PM »
I have used the "pet Vent' but find that  if the window is not 'square' it does not seat very well. When  I had my pickup trucks-- I insulated the caps on the beds, Made a frame of wood and used 1/2 by 1 rabbit cage wire to make a 'screen door' for the back opening--Two sizes- one for tailgate up, one for it down-- Added to that, battery operated fans and frozen bottles of water for pillows!!!yes, Connor would lay down and use it as a pillow! Caution-- never put the dogs crate over the transmission!! The floor over the transmission get super hot!

Made a very long trip with  3 large dogs one  July- Virginia to Florida-- no AC in the car- at every rest stop- I took each dog out and doused it in water- the ex hated making all those stops-- but there were no issues with heat for the dogs-- it wasn't like he had me driving a brand new vehicle-- so a little water on a crumbly leather seat-- whats the harm?

My rabbits are experiencing a bit of trouble right now-- I place bottles of frozen water on TOP of their cages so that cooler air falls over them-- combined with the bottles to snuggle with-- they will do just fine!

Something from an agricultural experience-- keep animals under trees--in other words, if you need shade, and a tree is available, it is far cooler than under a canopy

There is a nice major vein on the inside of a dogs thigh-- cold compresses applied there can help  cool the body down.

NEVER plunge an overheated animal into cold water--instant heart attack!!!
Terry- I don't march to the beat of a different drummer. I AM the drummer.

Offline Spectrum

• BANNED
  • It's smaller on the outside!
  • Mood: Tired
  • SDC interest: SD partner
« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2011, 09:04:47 PM »
I have used the "pet Vent' but find that  if the window is not 'square' it does not seat very well.

This is true. I can only use them on my back windows, not the front.
"Truth is singular. Lies are words, words, words." ~Madame Vastra
AKC/UKC PT'D Moxie's Adamantium Man RA RO1 CA HIC CGC TT, SD
Gavroche de la Rue RA RO1 CGC, ESA