Author Topic: Protection From The Heat Of Summer  (Read 14253 times)

Offline Ilghaus

• "TJ"
  • Axel vom Riverhaus CGC "Karl" 01/10/01-03/29/13
  • Mood: Okay
  • SDC interest: owner-trainer
Protection From The Heat Of Summer
« on: May 22, 2006, 02:33:07 AM »
Since summer is right around the corner (here in FL we are already into 90+ days), I thought it would be a real good idea to share info on this topic.

Please post what has worked for you in the past, share links to products that you have used or are thinking of using, and if you feed your dog differently please share that.

For now I am going to make this a sticky as it is so very important to keep our dogs safe from the heat.
TJ
Kaleb, Candidate Level. Born 12-19-2014
:tj:  :karl:

Offline Ilghaus

• "TJ"
Re: Protection From The Heat Of Summer
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2006, 02:49:37 AM »
Here is a product that I am going to look into. I have seen cooling coats before but most look shorter then this one. Possibly it is just the picture or the dog is shorter through the back. Has anyone here used this particular item before or maybe one like it. If so what did you like about it.

Another feature I like about this jacket is the colors and reflective strips.

http://www.coolk-9.com/

Prices are hard to find but I was able to locate this
Quote:
Jackets cost approximately $40 for dogs smaller than 30 pounds,
$50 for a 30- to 60-pound dog and $60 for a 60- to 100-pound dog.
An extender is available for dogs larger than 100 pounds for $6.

http://www.coolk-9.com/Downloads/BoulderCounty.pdf

I use to have a source to purchase these crystals but am not able to anymore. We use to make neck scarves for ourselves and they felt great while out mowing or doing other outside work.
TJ

Offline Kirsten

• Administrator
  • Have a flufftastic day!
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2006, 02:52:09 AM »
I worry about burning pads on hot asphalt.  You can toughen (thicken) pads for some added protection and/or you can use booties.  Either way it is important to keep an eye on your dog and notice when he is having trouble with hot surfaces.

All of my dogs are mostly black.  I need to be careful even on a cool day.  Last year, on a comfortably cool day (low 70's), my solid black bitch, Luna, overexerted herself (playing frisbee) right into a seizure.  Any dog/person can have a seizure if their bodies are pushed hard enough.  Anyway, Luna doesn't have the good sense to stop and rest when she gets hot, and because I felt comfortable I didn't notice how hot she was getting.  By the time I got her to the vet her temperature was 103 and dropping.

In an emergency you can cool a dog quickly with rubbing alcohol, especially applied to the pads.  This is hard on the skin, so it should be reserved for an emergency.  That's what the vet had me doing with Luna.

Cole carries a folding water bowl in his cape so I can give him water from fountains or bathroom sinks.  I carry water for each of us when we'll be away from plumbing.

Melissa, of Melissa and Dharma/Tao, used to make cool capes.  I've seen a few other versions as well.  They're capes made of a cotton mesh that can be wetted to cool a dog.  Those cordura nylon vests can get quite hot.  I make summer capes for Cole out of cotton prints for that "designer" look.   :laugh: 

A very fine mist can be cooling as well.

I saw a crate fan in the Pet Edge catalog that has a removable core you can freeze to cool the air being blown at your dog.  It's battery operated, so you can easily take it with you.  I don't handle the heat well because of some of my medication so Cole doesn't wind up in the heat either.  If he did, I'd seriously consider this ice core fan.

I've tried the cooling neck wraps myself.  I'm speaking of the kind filled with crystals that hold a lot of water.  Personally, I didn't find them helpful, but your mileage, and your dog's, may vary.
Kirsten and Tardis
In loving memory of Cole (1/11/99 - 6/26/12)  He gave me back my life.

"The one absolute, unselfish friend that man can have in this selfish world -- the one that never proves ungrateful or treacherous -- is his dog." -George G. Vest

Offline Ilghaus

• "TJ"
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2006, 02:59:09 AM »
Here is a hot day treat that many dogs love after playing in the sprinkler.  :biggrin:
One of my buddies in PA makes this for her dogs.

Frozen pumpkin/yogurt treats.

Use cnd. plain pumpkin (make sure it is not the type with spices already added) and stir in plain unflavored yogurt. Just put spoonfuls on wax paper, use muffin tins, or whatever size you want.
Serve right out of the freezer for a refreshing snack for a hot pup.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2006, 03:00:52 AM by Ilghaus »
TJ

Offline Ilghaus

• "TJ"
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2006, 03:04:14 AM »
And speaking of sprinklers, when it gets real hot I will take the guys outside and do our obedience work in the outer edges of the water. No one minds doing down stays with a cool mist of water blowing on them.  :laugh:

Sometimes for a cool workout I just take the dogs out and let them chase the water from the hose around. They leap and run and use up some energy while they stay cool in the water from the hose. Once in awhile they stop for a drink so I will hold the hose still with a little kink in it to slow the pressure down then after a few sips it is off to the races again. When I think they have had enough I then tell them enough and will then go on to do some watering. While they wait for me to finish they usually lay down in a shady spot (of course in the dirt  ::smile: ). I don't want them to attack a water stream from a hose whenever they see one so sometimes they can play in the water and sometimes they are not allowed to.

« Last Edit: May 22, 2006, 03:11:26 AM by Ilghaus »
TJ

Offline Stefani

• Old Timer
  • RRsss are the best
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2006, 09:43:03 AM »
I don't want them to attack a water stream from a hose whenever they see one so sometimes they can play in the water and sometimes they are not allowed to.

*hangs head* I created a monster doing this with Roxie.  We go to a friends house for playtime very often.  She was using the hose for something, and we found out Roxie loves to chase the water.  We did this, for weeks and weeks.  Now, the last time I went over, Roxie refused to play with dog, and decided to chase the hose, even though it wasn't on.  She went to where the hose lives, and bit at the hose, pawed the hose, barked at the hose.  She will do a stay while my friend uses the hose, but she is still very into the hose.  After we didn't play with it for a bit, she did eventaually play with my friends dog, though, as soon as someone came near where the hose lived, she ignored the dog and ran for the hose.  Though I did work the snot out of her when my friend used the hose.  I made her heel, sit, do turns, go backwards, and made her understand just becaue a hose is there, does not mean it is playtime.  So yes, be warned, play time with hoses may cause obsession  :tongue2:  I did, however, learn that water can be used as a very good reward for training.  I use a spray bottle and when Roxie does something good, and I really want to get her to od it again, I just spray her with the water.  Oh, another positive about her loving water.  She is the first dog I have ever met, that actually ENJOYS taking a bath.  When I say it is bathtime, she runs into the bathroom, jumps into the tub and waits for me. 
:paw: Stefani
IHOSD- Razel
:razel:

Now, lets not forget the ones who didn't make it, they will always be in my heart.
Peace, the Golden Retriever
Roxie, the German Shepherd

Offline Stefani

• Old Timer
  • RRsss are the best
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2006, 10:11:15 AM »
Anyway, Luna doesn't have the good sense to stop and rest when she gets hot, and because I felt comfortable I didn't notice how hot she was getting.  By the time I got her to the vet her temperature was 103 and dropping.

I've calculated that in the hottest part of the day, at least right now, she can play around 15 minutes of SERIOUS running after the toy.  I don't mean a throw down the yard, but a serious throw, over halfway down the soccer field.  Some days we play longer than 15 minutes, but only because after we play for a little bit, I put her on a stay, in the shade, then play/work with Razel.  Or I'll work her for a few minutes, use her brain, let her cool off some, like doing stays.  They don't get water until after the play time, so sometimes, Roxie will run right past me, to where I keep the water bottle.  Or she'll run to the toy, and stop with it in her mouth, and I know it is time to stop.  I keep an eye on her tongue and how she moves, when she starts dragging her feet or if I can see the black spot on her tongue very well, other signs that it is time to stop.
:paw: Stefani
IHOSD- Razel
:razel:

Now, lets not forget the ones who didn't make it, they will always be in my heart.
Peace, the Golden Retriever
Roxie, the German Shepherd

Offline magolin

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2006, 11:51:45 AM »
Here are a whole bunch of products made from those cooling crystals.  Some are for people and some are for dogs.  All of them are pretty cheap.
http://www.tuffrhino.com/MiraCool_s/45.htm

Here is somewhere to get those crystals if you sew and want to make stuff yourself, they're not too expensive either.  Unless you're making TONS of stuff I don't know why you'd need much more than a pound of these.
http://www.soapcrafters.com/category.gc?ID=820

As far as keeping a dog cool?  My parents' dog is obsessed with ice cubes when its hot. 
Maggie
SDIT - Diesel

Offline Trilby

• Old Timer
  • Mood: Weird
  • SDC interest: SD partner
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2006, 04:00:14 PM »
I use a tailgate lock on the back of my vehicle. It's handy when I want to leave the door wide open too but not keep the engine battery running. With this the engine thinks the door is shut. It's great as it keeps a space for air flow & keeps thieves out (depending on what size you get) They are pricey all over the net but well worth it!! Shop around though, I didn't get mine from this website - I just ran a quick google.
?Tailgate lock

Then there are these... I'm always, always, always, always, always being stopped & asked where I get these (did I mention I'm always being asked about this?) I keep spare in the boot with original receipt & sell them to people who ask. I sold one a couple days ago to a cop! lol I bought mine from Ray Allen They are pricey, but there's are the largest & most secure online. I have purchased the cheaper ones I've seen elsewhere to see the difference. They are much more flimsy & smaller. Ray Allens are strong I know for a fact... I locked myself out once & couldn't shake them loose.
?Ray Allen: for window vent guards eek, link isn't sticking. Go to Auto section & look for them.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2006, 04:03:50 PM by Trilby »
Duchovny Jan '01-May '14 :heart:, Krycek '03-'11 :heart:, Snitch SD, Dimka, Murtagh '15-'16 :heart:, Mavis
"I saw the angel in the marble and carved until I set him free" ~ Michelangelo

Offline fledchen

• Budgie Wrangler
  • squeak! chirp!
  • Mood: Dazed
  • SDC interest: curious
Caution about crystals
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2006, 04:03:34 PM »
Make sure you check items made with water-absorbing crystals every so often. They can grow mold after a while, even if they are dried out thoroughly because the mold spores remain in the crystals even when dry.
:betsy:
:budgie: :bat:

Offline BlindMag

• Donna Summer
  • Old Timer
  • Diva SD
  • Mood: Wired for sound
  • SDC interest: SD partner
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2007, 03:07:49 AM »
http://www.precious-pets-paradise.com/p-CANINE-COOLER-PET-BED.html
This is a favorite of my longhaired dachshund.
"Winds may come and winds may blow none can cure Summer Fever." -DS

Offline Ilghaus

• "TJ"
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2011, 07:00:14 PM »
Time to bring this old thread up again because of upcoming heat. Anyone want to add new hints or suggestions?
TJ

Offline Ilghaus

• "TJ"
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2011, 07:16:23 PM »
Talks of possible heat stroke or worse of animals left in cars.

How to Save Dogs From Death in a Hot Car
http://www.ehow.com/how_4920118_save-dogs-death-hot-car.html

quotes:
LEAVING A DOG LOCKED IN A HOT CAR IS FATAL! Partially open windows do not allow enough heat to disperse, as the temperature within a car can rise to 120 degrees Fahrenheit WITHIN LESS THAN 10 MINUTES.

and

Most people think that if they leave the windows open, they are not putting their pet's life in danger. THAT IS NOT TRUE! Dogs can only cool themselves by panting and sweating through their paw pads.

Even if the outside temperature is mild, say 70-75 degrees F, the temperature inside a car will rise to 120 degrees F or more within 5-10 minutes. No dog can withstand those temperatures unharmed.
TJ

Offline Amber

• Old Timer
  • Mood: Weird
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2011, 09:27:25 PM »
Maigee is living with me at the Y in town, and I realized I need to be doing some research about pavement and things because having lived in the country, we don't have much experience with that.  I do have Musher's Wax (something to that effect, can't remember the right name), and when she is "in public" when it is hot (ie. the business parts of the Y) she wears a bandana rather than her vest.  I do hope to make her a small, lightweight vest.  I obviously won't be using the heavy quilted vest!

Any other suggestions for dealing with the pavement?
Maigumi of Liberty Acres CGCA ITD - Maigee :paw: Therapy Dog and Retired Service Dog
Knight in Chocolate Armor CGCA NTD - Luie :ball: Lab Mix, Service Dog in Training

Offline Magesteff

• Eater of books
  • Old Timer
  • I want to be a mysterious Woman...
  • Mood: Annoyed
  • SDC interest: waiting
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2011, 12:32:58 PM »
Maigee is living with me at the Y in town, and I realized I need to be doing some research about pavement and things because having lived in the country, we don't have much experience with that. 

Max is pretty much a pavement dog as I have been using my scooter to walk him. He goes in the grass next to the sidewalk. As long as you keep tuned in to Maigee I think you will both do fine. The only time I used anything on Max's paws was this winter as the temps were below freezing and I wanted to protect his paws. When it is very hot (like last summer) I just don't take him out for long walks during the day - I'd take him out early - before 10 am for a longer walk, a very short walk for potty only between noon and 3,and at Sunset and then a longer walk at night time (10 pm ro midnight).
The added benefit of walking mainly on pavement is it acts as a natural nail file, and helps keep the nails short.
Steffeny, with Hobbes. In memory of Spike (1989 ~ 12/14/2014) my little old gentleman, and Max (9/21/2006 ~ 6/2/2015).  Dog camp postponed until I am in a better situation.
FB:http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/Magesteff