Author Topic: Good books about Guide dogs  (Read 5555 times)

Offline Smithcat

• Old Timer
  • Guide dogs, the model others emulate
  • Mood: Cynical
  • SDC interest: family
Good books about Guide dogs
« on: February 02, 2010, 01:14:04 PM »
2 that I have read.

One is "Follow My Leader", which I got at a scholastic book fair when I was in 6th grade. Good book for the intermediate grade school reader.

The other is "Hello, Goodbye, I Love You" which is about a youth puppy raiser for Guide Dogs for the Blind who raises Guide puppy "Aloha". It starts with the puppy raising and goes through to training at the school to working with the person who is awarded the dog to the "graduation" when the raiser "gives" the dog away to the recipient at the final class ceremony. There is a forward in the book from Michael Hingson, who with his Guide "Roselle", was in one of the towers on 9/11, and Roselle lead him safely down from the 78th floor and to safety just before the tower collapsed. Good reading and a real tear-jerker as well.

Offline k1maplewd

• Old Timer
  • Mood: Happy
  • SDC interest: SD partner
Re: Good books about Guide dogs
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2010, 01:37:12 PM »
I still have my copy of Follow My Leader which was actually my mother's  copy when she was a kid.  Good book except the Guide Dog bites someone rather severely and is then still kept as a guide dog after the kids "shake hands and make up showing the dog all is ok."  The other issue is the dog is for a young boy, teenager, and they did no prep with the high school that he is to get a guide so the school puts their foot down once he gets the dog and won't allow the dog on school grounds.  The dog instead has to stay with his aunt during the day. 

But really it is a pretty good story over all.  Just don't have all the facts right.  Writers licenses are like that I think.
Katrin & Tom

Offline Spectrum

• BANNED
  • It's smaller on the outside!
  • Mood: Tired
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2010, 02:43:56 PM »
I'm pretty sure I have read Follow My Leader...I didn't remember the name of it until now, but it sounds very, very familiar.

Also, I just got my copy of Eyes that Lead in the mail the other day, can't wait to read it  :biggrin:
"Truth is singular. Lies are words, words, words." ~Madame Vastra
AKC/UKC PT'D Moxie's Adamantium Man RA RO1 CA HIC CGC TT, SD
Gavroche de la Rue RA RO1 CGC, ESA

Offline k1maplewd

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2010, 03:57:42 PM »
Oh Spectrum that is a good book!  I think you will like it.  I really did.  Some parts are a bit dry, but the actual training sections are really good.
Katrin & Tom

Offline Sheenar

• Official Welcomer
  • Mood: Brain fog
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2010, 05:19:04 PM »
Partners in Independence is another excellent book. It was written by Toni and Ed Eames. We read it at the start of Team Training.
Sheena, Zeus, and Marzipan Anne the Kitty of Doom
http://thereisachronichope.blogspot.com/

Offline labs4ever

• SDC Book Club and welcome comittee Board Moderator
  • Official Welcomer
  • Opening the doors of life together as a team! ^_^
  • Mood: Tired
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2010, 02:41:47 PM »
A good kids book that is now out of print is called "Connie's  New Eyes"  It is a story about a guide dog from puppy raising through training and placement with her partner Connie. And a year or so into the dog's life with Connie.  It is mostly photographs with long capsions.  It was the book that inspired me to get a guide dog..  I read it in second grade.

I read "Follow My Leader"  after I got my first guide dog.  I agree it is a little off, but a good story, 
Another one kind of like that is "Light a Single Candle"  I think there is a companion to that book as well. 

A non fiction book for grades seven to nine probably is called "Maggie By My Side"  It is also out of print but it is good.  About a woman receiving her fourth or fifth guide dog.

I have read "Partners In Independence" too and I like that one.

Kerri and Sophie
Once a Stray now she saves the day! Guidedog/seizure response/wheelchair mobility
Flicks Sensational Mandy  Rue ML ESA.  QUEEN OF NICE

Offline Arrowcom

• Loquacious Member
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2016, 08:29:07 PM »
  As old as this topic is, I thought I would add two other books. Confessions of a Guide Dog was great. It made me laugh a few times and get a good sense of what life is like with a dog, even if the handler was a bit lax about a few service dog rules. And Thunder Dog was also excellent as it talks about a blind man and his dog escaping from the world trade center during 9/11.
Accept the things you can not change, have the courage to change the things you can, and have the wisdom to know the difference.

Offline BlindMag

• Donna Summer
  • Old Timer
  • Diva SD
  • Mood: Wired for sound
« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2016, 04:15:38 AM »
I have all of the ones mentioned except for the children's books and Eyes That Lead which I will go order.
Good topic; thanks for the reviews on these!
"Winds may come and winds may blow none can cure Summer Fever." -DS

Offline swimmergirl247

• Old Timer
  • hope my only reason for living
  • SDC interest: owner-trainer
« Reply #8 on: February 29, 2016, 11:57:32 AM »
First Lady of the Seeing Eye by morris frank about the first guide dog in U.S Buddy. is a great book as well.
Theodore(Teddy)SD you truly gods gift to me.
Abigail(retired SD you may not physically be with me but your wings and protection will always be in my heart.
"I may not have sight, but I'll always have vision- Alex S

Offline unicyclechick

• Loquacious Member
  • Mood: Giddy
« Reply #9 on: February 29, 2016, 06:19:30 PM »
There are also the books by Sheila Hocken. Her first book is Emma and I it was actually adapted into a movie called Second Sight A Love Story.
The book is about her as a blind child her then getting Emma and her regaining her sight.

Offline BlindMag

• Donna Summer
  • Old Timer
  • Diva SD
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2016, 09:51:07 PM »
Thanks, guys! I will check into those.

Offline Arrowcom

• Loquacious Member
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2016, 11:20:47 PM »
Oh, I'm reading Trust the Dog right now and I really like it so far. Next I'm reading one called the Leading Lady. So we'll see how that goes. But it has good reviews!~
Accept the things you can not change, have the courage to change the things you can, and have the wisdom to know the difference.

Offline BlindMag

• Donna Summer
  • Old Timer
  • Diva SD
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2016, 02:34:22 AM »
I have Trust the Dog but haven't read it yet.

Can we make this thread a sticky?

Offline Charlie Ann

• Old Timer
  • Sometimes I wonder why, I am taking the hard road
  • Mood: Vulcans have no moods
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2016, 03:52:25 PM »
I loved follow my leader growing up, and Thunder dog, and running with Roselle (same dog as thunder dog).

I have wanted to read trust the dog the though, Voc rehab here wants me to get set I up with audio books I think so I will check if they have it.
My eyes have four paws, she's a golden girl, who thinks nothing is better than a kind word and a ear scratch. With her harness in hand I remember what I didn't even realized I had lost, total freedom, without roadblocks or canes.
  Born in the month of pride with the name to match, June.