Author Topic: UK/ ‘Inconsiderate’ Guy Tries To Get A Blind Man To Move His Guide Dog Out Of Th  (Read 142 times)

Offline responsiblek9

• Mood: Okay
  • SDC interest: SD partner
http://www.craveonline.com/mandatory/1369341-inconsiderate-guy-tries-get-blind-man-move-guide-dog-way
‘Inconsiderate’ Guy Tries To Get A Blind Man To Move His Guide Dog Out Of The Way
Read more at http://www.craveonline.com/mandatory/1369341-inconsiderate-guy-tries-get-blind-man-move-guide-dog-way#UQBDhZ0imcfFzuiQ.99
Has a video of the incident from a camera on the dog .
Story image for guide dog from Crave Online
'Inconsiderate' Guy Tries To Get A Blind Man To Move His Guide ...
Crave Online-4 hours ago
Instead of punching a blind man like Natasha Claus once did, it's best to be patient with blind people and try to make life easier on them. It's probably not best to urge them to get the hell out of the way so you can go down an escalator. But you know what? That's exactly what happened to a blind man and his guide dog ...

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/guide-dog-camera-angry-commuter-blind-man-tube-escalator-london-bridge-a8202301.html
Guide dog camera captures moment angry commuter confronts ...
The Independent-7 hours ago
A blind man used the camera on his guide dog to capture the moment a commuter ordered him to move on an escalator in a tube station. Amit Patel, a 37-year-old former doctor who became blind five years ago due to a haemorrhage behind his eyes, was standing on an escalator going down to the tube in London Bridge ...

Patel describes the man as well dressed and in his late 40s. “I think he expected me to move, but I held my ground,” he told the Standard.

The former doctor explained that Kika is trained not to move on escalators.

http://www.itv.com/news/london/2018-02-09/london-tube-passenger-demanded-blind-man-and-guide-dog-move-out-of-the-way-on-escalator/
Londoners have been quick to show support for Patel and their dismay at the rude commuter with a flurry of posts on social media.

Mark Evers, Chief Customer Officer for London Underground also showed support for people with guide dogs, saying: “It is important that customers wait behind anyone travelling with a guide dog on the escalator and not push past, so that customers with guide dogs can travel safely.

A thousand miles you walked with me ,
 Through the fields and streams
  Down many a lonely place, On darkened  paths and streets

Offline SandyStern

• Official Welcomer
  • Mood: Happy
How I love the British:

"I didn't think I was being inconsiderate."

Bystander: "You were being very inconsiderate."

Not a single cuss word uttered.

On the other hand, what's with all the cameras being mounted on working dogs?  Does everyone want to be a YouTube star?

Offline Kirsten

• Administrator
  • Have a flufftastic day!
  • SDC interest: owner-trainer
While it is in fact unsafe to ask a guide to be moved to the side (can result in toes getting ripped off, which is why they ride in a very specific way and position) I have to wonder if this is the same guy who previously posted video of subway workers he felt weren't responsive enough to him. I don't think it's okay to film people without their consent to humiliate them by publicly posting it later.
Kirsten and Tardis
In loving memory of Cole (1/11/99 - 6/26/12)  He gave me back my life.

"The one absolute, unselfish friend that man can have in this selfish world -- the one that never proves ungrateful or treacherous -- is his dog." -George G. Vest

Offline RedSonia29

• Loquacious Member
  • No. We're not going for a ride....
How I love the British:

On the other hand, what's with all the cameras being mounted on working dogs?  Does everyone want to be a YouTube star?

I love the Bob and Doug McKenzie version of name-calling: "Take off, hosers!"

Nobody I know gets the random movie reference unless I tell them where it's from.

I'm not sure about why exactly people like to mount cameras to dogs, BUT I'd wager that it has something to do with seeing from a dog's perspective (a few pet dog owning friends love it because the hike a lot and want to see what their dog "sees"). Also, for some teams, they might do it for liability reasons, just in case something happens, they have a record of it.

Oh, and yes, EVERYBODY wants to be a YouTube star.  :cool:
In loving memory of Clive (CLASS, CGC, Diabetic Alert Dog). You saved my life countless times just by using your heart, nose, and your fat pit bull head. Our time together was too short and I miss you every day. 12/21/11 - 11/19/2016

Bowie's Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/BowietheDAD/

Offline ccunnin3

• Little Win Guru
  • Old Timer
  • Nicer Once You Get To Know Her
I would never mount a camera on my dog. Too many shots of my butt would be involved. :wink:
Caitlin and AIRLIE
My Blog

Offline Solace

• Mood: Tired
  • SDC interest: owner-trainer
How I love the British:

Me, too.  I've learned some gems from Top Gear.  Wedding vegetables.  That's probably my favorite.  You get your point across without being embarrassed.

Offline Arrowcom

• Loquacious Member
  • Mood: Happy
On one hand, no, it's really not cool to film others, and especially uncool to point them out on a mistake. On the other, as a blind guide user who was trained to use escalators, people trying to push past is scary! We purposefully wait a few seconds before walking on to make sure there is enough space for us to both feel the stairs even out with our feet and to give our dog room to jump off. If we get confused or mixed up, we won't know when to get off, our dog will get turned around and not have a way to jump off, and injuries will happen. Very scary. This is much more then just someone being rude.
Accept the things you can not change, have the courage to change the things you can, and have the wisdom to know the difference.