Author Topic: Solomon has a swollen booby.  (Read 225 times)

Offline Solace

• Mood: Tired
  • SDC interest: owner-trainer
Solomon has a swollen booby.
« on: February 01, 2018, 01:42:22 AM »
The vet looked at it today and isn't sure what it is.  Here is a pic.  https://i.imgur.com/H5mLvIc.jpg

The tissue is swollen enough around his nipple that the nipple is inverted.  He's sensitive about it and doesn't want anyone to look, so I think it hurts a bit.  Of course I've taught him to let me poke and prod him as part of his SD training.  So, normally, he doesn't care if I poke and prod, but does not want anyone near that.  It was hard to even get a quick pic.

He's been scratching funny for a few weeks and it was finally to the point that I thought something might be wrong and I went looking.  I don't know what it is!  The vet doesn't either!  He's been scratching it a little too long for it to be a bug bite.  If it were a hormonal issue, it should be affecting more than one of his nipples.  There is no broken skin.

Does anyone have any ideas what it could be?

For now he's on 100 mg of benadryl morning and night and we're watching it.

Offline Kirsten

• Administrator
  • Have a flufftastic day!
  • Mood: Okay
Re: Solomon has a swollen booby.
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2018, 01:56:04 AM »
It looks possibly infected (red, inflamed, angry). Did the vet aspirate/culture it?

Males can get mastitis too. Any fever? Any symptoms like loss of appetite, change in thirst, depression that might suggest infection?

So mastitis would be a concern to me and I'd want to rule that out because it can be dangerous. Not because I think it is likely in this case, but because I would be concerned and take faster action if it was mastitis. Barring mastitis, I'd tend to watch and wait, to see what his own systems do with it with plain supportive care, like anti-inflamatories.

Tar is going in for a lump in the morning. It's probably a cist gone whackadoodle, but because it might be a tumor we're getting it checked. Odds are probably 9 in 10 it's just a really POed cist, but I'm still going to rule out the unlikely possibility that scares me. So I'm not trying to flip you out about mastitis, just that I'd want to rule out out as a possibility.

There's a whole lot of non-scary things it could be. Check out Dr Pimple Popper on YouTube for an overview on the wide range of benign lumps available in skin.
Kirsten and Tardis
In loving memory of Cole (1/11/99 - 6/26/12)  He gave me back my life.

"The one absolute, unselfish friend that man can have in this selfish world -- the one that never proves ungrateful or treacherous -- is his dog." -George G. Vest

Offline Solace

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2018, 02:13:48 AM »
I hope Tar is okay!  Let us know how it goes, okay?

The vet didn't want to do antibiotics yet.  There is no discharge or broken skin.  I hope it's not mastitis because I've had that when I was nursing my son!  Not fun!  Mostly I was relieved at the vet because she verified that the bit of blackness on the nipple was just his coloring.  He has other nipples that color.  My mind was worried that black skin=necrosis.  He's just a dark dog with dark boobs.

He's kind of sad on the benadryl.  We were in the kitchen and I rolled a cherry tomato to him.  Normally he treats them like a tiny ball and tosses them into the air and chases them until they break and he eats them.  He just laid there and let it roll into his face.  However, he didn't have his 7pm zoomies and that was kind of nice...  It's 8 pills a day.  I am sooo glad he takes pills well (also Pill Pockets are awesome)!  I think we'll try antiinflammatories if the benadryl doesn't work.  Ugh.  I hate not knowing what it is.

Offline Solace

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2018, 02:57:12 AM »
Oh.  I should add that there is no fever.  No change in behavior other than scratching.

Offline Kirsten

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2018, 09:50:11 AM »
Yes, I've seen black nipple tips too.  It's fairly common.  Makes them look like ticks at a glance, which is risky.  Yes, I've tried to de-nipple a dog or two.  :wink:

The important thing is that he's seen the vet and there's a plan.  No fever puts my mind at rest that observation and good nursing are the best route now.
Kirsten and Tardis

"The one absolute, unselfish friend that man can have in this selfish world -- the one that never proves ungrateful or treacherous -- is his dog." -George G. Vest

Offline Moonsong

• Dog Training Student
  • Old Timer
  • My SD is my Super (hero) Dog
  • Mood: Sad
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2018, 10:03:05 AM »
Boy, I feel pretty stupid. I didn't even know that male dogs had nipples (seems super obvious in hindsight, though), so I looked it up to learn more. Turns out that special spot that Max looooves having scratched more than any other spot? Yep; I've been scratching his nipple for the last two years :facepalm:.

I hope that Solomon and Tardis will both be okay!
Max - shih tzu/poodle- SDiT  Max's Facebook Page
Kirby - Pied Cockatiel - official bird of SDC
My YouTube channel (I love receiving feedback on my training methods!)

Offline OlgatheGSD

• Old Timer
  • Michelle and Olga
  • Mood: Exhausted
  • SDC interest: SD partner
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2018, 10:41:45 AM »
ROFL

best of luck to solomon and tardis!!! Long live the shepherds!
"Some people are like clouds; once they are gone, it's a beautiful day."

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Olga-the-GSD-1632466706793262/

Offline Ariel

• Scruffmaster Extraordinaire
  • Mood: Cynical
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2018, 11:12:53 AM »
Jubi got Mastitis after her spay. It was awful, I needed to milk out the pus after using hot compresses. Poor dog. She recovered just fine though.

Agreed with Kirsten, better to check something out and have it confirmed that it was nothing than to leave it and it be the one time it was something that shouldn't be ignored. Jubi had a growing lump in her armpit a year and a half ago and it was rock hard and pea sized. The vet couldn't aspirate with a needle and said he said he would guess it was something benign but couldn't say for sure. I had that sucker removed. Turns out to have been a lump of scar tissue. Jubi must have poked herself with a stick or something forcefully in the armpit and the scar tissue just kept growing inside with no external sign of injury. Another recovery she was fine with but she was very unhappy with two weeks of crate rest and pottying on leash.
Jubilee - Service Dog - German Wirehaired Pointer
Jubi's FB page!
In Loving Memory of Service Dog Saxon (6/5/13-12/2/15)

Offline Kirsten

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2018, 02:13:03 PM »
Tar's lump was examined and judged whackadoodle (weird looking but harmless) cist. Dr. B said that now that he's seen it in person, I don't need to come in if it changes again, just send him a photo. I love my vet. He's awesome.
Kirsten and Tardis

Offline Solace

« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2018, 02:16:15 PM »
That's good!  I am glad that Tardis is okay!

Offline mommagrizzly

• Loquacious Member
  • Mood: Happy
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2018, 12:25:05 PM »
Boy, I feel pretty stupid. I didn't even know that male dogs had nipples (seems super obvious in hindsight, though), so I looked it up to learn more. Turns out that special spot that Max looooves having scratched more than any other spot? Yep; I've been scratching his nipple for the last two years :facepalm:.

ROFL
Do what you think you can't do
Keturah's FB Page
PM me about being pen pals