Author Topic: Solutions for the Stinky Dog  (Read 86 times)

Offline OlgatheGSD

• Loquacious Member
  • Michelle and Olga
  • Mood: Brain fog
  • SDC interest: owner-trainer
Re: Solutions for the Stinky Dog
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2017, 02:23:16 PM »
I did wonder if the Salmon had a lot to do with the sudden increase in oil. How and where do I get the hypoallergenic formula?

My only complaint is that we just hit the consistent poop too. I'm going to cry if I see another poop puddle ever again.

Rotten oil is the perfect way to describe the smell!! It's like olive oil that had green beans overcooked in it with a hint of dirt. Usually dogs smell like either fish because of anal glands or like whatever the live in. This is something else.
Potato quality human with a smarter-than-you-honor-student dog.

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Olga-the-GSD-1632466706793262/

Online SandyStern

• Official Welcomer
  • Mood: Happy
  • SDC interest: SD partner
Re: Solutions for the Stinky Dog
« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2017, 02:41:12 PM »
There are a couple of hydrolyzed kibbles, but my vet recommended Purina HA.  You will be shocked. The kibble looks and tastes like oyster crackers.  Basically, the food is derived from plant protein, it is stripped down to the amino acids, so Olga will be getting the building blocks of proteins and not the proteins themselves.  Get the chicken flavor so the poor dog doesn't feel like she's eating cream of wheat.  You'll need a prescription and then you can order from Chewy.

If I were you, I'd start subbing in small amounts (1/4 cup increments) to her salmon food.  Also, do not throw or give away the old food.  Women used to say you'd get pregnant if you gave away the highchair, and something like that happens with food and poop. As long as you keep the old stuff around, she'll be fine.  Check the calorie content so you're not starving her.  I'd give her three days before going up on the ratio of new to old.  And keep records.  Note what you fed and when, and use the Purina Fecal Scale (images on Google) to note time and type of poop.  You will learn a lot when you see the patterns in your notes.

Do let me know how it goes, fellow sufferer.  I have got my dog producing perfect poop, but on no particular schedule.  Travel plans on the horizon, so I am thinking about poop all the time.