Author Topic: Solutions for the Stinky Dog  (Read 101 times)

Offline OlgatheGSD

• Loquacious Member
  • Michelle and Olga
  • Mood: Brain fog
  • SDC interest: owner-trainer
Solutions for the Stinky Dog
« on: December 07, 2017, 11:57:20 AM »
I'm at my wit's end. I wash bedding once a week, I shampoo my carpets twice a year, I have spoken to the vet more times than I can count, I give baths once a week, I brush twice a week, Ive tried medicated shampoos. I have the most groomed dog in the world. But guys.

Olga STINKS. Like she smells worse than a gun dog who hasn't seen a bath in over a year, but she smells like this if I go almost exactly 8 days since her last bath. Vet ran panels and said she was allergic to specific proteins. We managed to find a protein that isn't giving her gut and obvious skin problems (salmon. Why does god punish me so?). But thanks to the oils in the food, she gets oily and stinky even faster now. It's every 5 days.

I need help. Is there some secret way to keep your dog smelling and feeling clean for more than 20 mintues that I'm missing? I even wash her comb and brushes because I'm afraid that at some point I'm just spreading oil everywhere. Grooming this freaking dog is an all day expedition.

Right now I am using Dr. Bronners lavender bar soap because SLS (a chemical in most soaps) gives me a rash that burns. I can use stuff with SLS if I need to but I have to be quick with it and I can't let it sit on my hands without the flames of Mordor making themselves at home. I used gloves when I did dog grooming.

I'm ready to take her to a professional groomer and sell my soul to afford it in fear of how frequently we need to go. Behaviorally she's a dream to groom so that isn't a problem. I want to try seeing if they can do a better job of keeping her smelling like a clean dog longer.

Meanwhile I'm going to try out a new soap for her and see where it takes me. Yay.
Potato quality human with a smarter-than-you-honor-student dog.

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Olga-the-GSD-1632466706793262/

Offline ccunnin3

• Little Win Guru
  • Old Timer
  • Nicer Once You Get To Know Her
  • Mood: Okay
  • SDC interest: SD partner
Re: Solutions for the Stinky Dog
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2017, 12:02:02 PM »
Have you tried fish oil or coconut oil? They are really helpful for skin and fur.

If you get really desperate, they make deoderizing sprays. They even come in nice scents to replace the stink.
Caitlin and AIRLIE
My Blog

Offline OlgatheGSD

• Loquacious Member
  • Michelle and Olga
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2017, 12:09:17 PM »
There's a lot of fish oil in her food from both the Salmon and extra added because its a sensitive skin formula. The food itself reeks like fish lol

I'll check out the spray. Coconut would mix well with her natrual aroma  :laugh:
Another problem I have is she is greasy to the touch after a week. I haven't been go the vet since we've had success with her bowel problems switching foods. She doesn't play outside alone and I make sure my house doesn't smell, look, or feel like a dog lives in it so I'm not sure where the excess oil is coming from. She's worse than a lab.

Offline Summertime.and.Azkaban

• Resident Terrier Wrangler
  • Old Timer
  • Holli and Azkaban
  • Mood: Tired
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2017, 12:33:01 PM »
We have a dog with chronic dermatitis, he is missing hair and we have to do rounds of antibiotics for skin infections periodically. Yes, he stinks to high heaven on any given day unless he's bee washed in the past four days.

With him my primary goal is stripping the gunk off his fur. I gave up on medicated shampoos and started using acne washes with salicylic acid. It's cheaper to buy a bottle of off-brand acne wash (specifically if you get it at dollar tree, I freaking love dollar tree) and I use it as shampoo. Salicylic acid helps with skin infections and irritations including dandruff and psoriasis. It's extended the time between baths with Chewy. It does make the fur dry, but I've yet to find a conditioner that doesn't harbor bacteria, even with raw eggs and oils in his food his fur is still dry and breaking. I have had moderate success with the tea tree/mint conditioner I use for my scalp psoriasis. Dermarest is a brand of psoriasis shampoo with salicylic acid sold at walmart, I started off with that but got sick of the price and moved to acne wash. T-gel worked great but it's so expensive. Selsun Blue also has salicylic acid, with allergies and resulting skin weirdness I've had way better success with various human dandruff/psoriasis shampoos than anything marketed for dogs. I've experimented with tar soaps but haven't used it enough to really know how well it works. 

After we wash him we use wahl lavender and chamomile waterless shampoo. It's also what I carry in my car for rainy days, it's the only thing I've found that helps with wet dog smell. Az's fur is not very oily but it is very thick and short so he stays wet (and stinky) for a long time. The waterless shampoo won't help when he's in need of a bath (it makes it so much worse  :puke: ) but it helps right after a bath and keeps things from getting super gross when it rains as long as I rub it in while he's still damp.

The excess oil is probably a mix between all the oil in her food and how dry her fur must be with such frequent washing. It could also be a symptom of her allergies.

-Azkaban, Rayner, and Chewy-
"I am not interested in picking up crumbs of compassion thrown from the table of someone who considers himself my master. I want the full menu of rights" -Desmond Tutu
PM me about being pen pals or receiving a holiday card in the mail!

Offline Azariah

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2017, 12:38:54 PM »
We use pure pet puppy spray on our dogs when we comb through them/brush them out. Samoyeds aren't a stinky breed at all but I do remember many years ago we used to housesit a friend's dog that was greasier and stinky (Rottie). Sometimes the extra spray would land on her when I was spraying my own dogs and I remember my friends commenting on how much better she smelled. A lab mix that we watched made the same comments.

I did a quick google search and I'm not seeing the puppy spray for sale anymore on pure pet's website. So you may have to hunt around or try different  varieties. I'm not a fan of pure pet's regular grooming spray as it is too thick for my taste. The smell is similar I just don't like how it makes the long hair clump together. More of a show type spray.

Invisible physical and mental disabilities.
Advanced experience training obedience dogs. Very new to training service dogs.
Current Samoyeds: Rio (11), Cosmo (3), Serenity (SDiT)

Offline Azariah

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2017, 12:40:32 PM »
Rio's breeder also recommended this shampoo for oily/hard to clean areas. I own a tub of it. Its rare I do my own grooming but I will say that it does the job when needed.

https://www.amazon.com/PurePet-D-Grease-Dog-Shampoo-16-Ounce/dp/B005GWWHIA

Offline Arrowcom

• Loquacious Member
  • Mood: Happy
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2017, 12:44:51 PM »
Oh my gosh! This sounds awful Olga! I thought I had it bad with giving Cindi a bath, plucking her ears, and a full trim every 6 weeks. But the rate at which you need to groom Olga is absolutely crazy! I also give Cindi a salmon based food, and I wash her with simple baby shampoo, and it seems to work fine. She doesn't start smelling for a good 5 or 6 weeks. I never realized a German Shepherd could be so much work! I guess I don't really have any advice for you, but I hope you figure out some solution soon!
Accept the things you can not change, have the courage to change the things you can, and have the wisdom to know the difference.

Offline OlgatheGSD

• Loquacious Member
  • Michelle and Olga
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2017, 01:10:38 PM »
It's definitely not dry skin, she doesn't have flakes or discoloring/rashes. Plus I only started bathing her this frequently out of need from the oil and stink. I prefer to do it around 4-6 months because it's just a pain and I've never met a dog this clean and stinky at the same time lol

I'm wondering if this has something to do with her not really having an undercoat. She has somewhat of a summer coat but for winter it's nothing but her butt mutton chops. She wears a big poofy down blanket outside now that its been in the 20's all week.

Offline RedSonia29

• No. We're not going for a ride....
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2017, 01:31:09 PM »
Olga STINKS. Like she smells worse than a gun dog who hasn't seen a bath in over a year, but she smells like this if I go almost exactly 8 days since her last bath.

I need help. Is there some secret way to keep your dog smelling and feeling clean for more than 20 mintues that I'm missing? 

My recently passed gun dog, Baxter, would probably stand and object to that statement.  :laugh: He always smelled like roses.  :wink:

Actually, the best thing we ever did for him was to purchase a dog bed with the stuffing infused with cedar chips. When I think of Baxter's fur, I'll always remember the smell of soft cedar.

I've heard that over-bathing dogs or using oil-stripping shampoos can lead to a stink. Bowie also stunk when he was younger, so we backed off the bathing for a while and used a warm washcloth, occasionally infused with safe essential oils. Maybe consider reducing the bathing, use only conditioners (no shampoos), and try some safe essential oils or a cedar chip bed while her skin stabilizes?

(Note: After the first bed, we just went to the pet store and got cedar bedding from the pet rodent section and mixed it with the stuffing to refresh the cedar smell.)
In loving memory of Clive (CLASS, CGC, Diabetic Alert Dog). You saved my life countless times just by using your heart, nose, and your fat pit bull head. Our time together was too short and I miss you every day. 12/21/11 - 11/19/2016

Bowie's Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/BowietheDAD/

Offline Azariah

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2017, 01:32:38 PM »
My respiratory condition might object to that cedar....and stuffing...but probably would work for Olga!

Offline OlgatheGSD

• Loquacious Member
  • Michelle and Olga
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2017, 01:42:32 PM »
Her preferred object to sleep on is the couch, which is fine because it's pleather so I can disinfect it really easy.

I used the bronners because it doesn't strip body oil and had lavender essential oil in it, ended up making the stink worse. Also I didn't always bathe her this often and her vet told me I'm not using products that strip her moisture so bathe her as often as needed and through trial and error it's been once a week. I started with 4 months, did every other month, did every other week, then now i try to stretch it out as long as possible but she's always gotten gross after a week no matter what.

Offline SandyStern

• Official Welcomer
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2017, 01:52:04 PM »
Here's what I've done when my dog is overdue for a groom and I suddenly have an important meeting.  I mix a very weak solution of dog-safe shampoo, and I mean really weak.  Just strong enough to break down oils.  I dampen a cloth, not dripping wet, but not wetter than barely damp, and rub the dog briskly, against the natural direction of the fur.  Then I "rinse" with another cloth similarly dampened with plain water.  In my experience, using cover-up scents just makes it worse, like wearing perfume instead of showering.  Odor is always intensified with dampness, so make sure there's enough time for her to dry thoroughly.

I have heard that tiny amounts of rubbing alcohol in water will also break down the oils, but I wouldn't do that in case it dried out the skin too much or stung an abrasion.

Offline OlgatheGSD

• Loquacious Member
  • Michelle and Olga
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2017, 02:03:46 PM »
Here's what I've done when my dog is overdue for a groom and I suddenly have an important meeting.  I mix a very weak solution of dog-safe shampoo, and I mean really weak.  Just strong enough to break down oils.  I dampen a cloth, not dripping wet, but not wetter than barely damp, and rub the dog briskly, against the natural direction of the fur.  Then I "rinse" with another cloth similarly dampened with plain water.  In my experience, using cover-up scents just makes it worse, like wearing perfume instead of showering.  Odor is always intensified with dampness, so make sure there's enough time for her to dry thoroughly.

I have heard that tiny amounts of rubbing alcohol in water will also break down the oils, but I wouldn't do that in case it dried out the skin too much or stung an abrasion.

That might actually work the best.. that's actually ingenious. I wonder if I can bathe her less overall with a quick spruce up once a week. It would be my dream to do this less often!

Offline SandyStern

• Official Welcomer
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2017, 02:09:47 PM »
Yeah . . . I know changing diet is a whole can of worms, but maybe consider it, if the salmon food did this.  Did you ever try the hypoallergenic, hydrolyzed protein diet? If she's allergic to specific proteins, the hydrolyzed food might just fix that entirely, right?

Offline RedSonia29

• No. We're not going for a ride....
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2017, 02:17:04 PM »
My respiratory condition might object to that cedar....and stuffing...but probably would work for Olga!

LOL: I've got a pretty sharp nose and allergies myself and the cedar scent from his coat and bed were always very slight and non-offensive. Kind of like a gentle breeze. It wasn't anything like those cedar bureaus or sticks you throw into closets or "naughty smalls" drawers.

At the very least, it would make poor Olga smell better than rotten oil.  :yuk:
In loving memory of Clive (CLASS, CGC, Diabetic Alert Dog). You saved my life countless times just by using your heart, nose, and your fat pit bull head. Our time together was too short and I miss you every day. 12/21/11 - 11/19/2016

Bowie's Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/BowietheDAD/