Author Topic: CAN / Via apologizes to Windsor woman with two service dogs and .  (Read 91 times)

Offline responsiblek9

• Mood: Okay
  • SDC interest: SD partner
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/windsor/via-apologizes-to-windsor-woman-with-two-service-dogs-and-provides-tickets-1.4436318

Via apologizes to Windsor woman with two service dogs and ...
CBC.ca-51 minutes ago
Emily Sadowski was set to take the train to Toronto Thursday, but was told by Via that the company's policy only allows for one service animal per passenger despite the fact she had travelled with two dogs before. She spoke out because she is unable to leave home without her service dog Priya, making travel with just ...
A thousand miles you walked with me ,
 Through the fields and streams
  Down many a lonely place, On darkened  paths and streets

Online OlgatheGSD

• Loquacious Member
  • Michelle and Olga
  • Mood: Brain fog
  • SDC interest: owner-trainer
Re: CAN / Via apologizes to Windsor woman with two service dogs and .
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2017, 05:12:48 PM »
Dude I can barely train Olga while out with my children. 2 dogs would make me pull my hair out. And I would have no hands.

Potato quality human with a smarter-than-you-honor-student dog.

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Olga-the-GSD-1632466706793262/

Offline Ariel

• Scruffmaster Extraordinaire
  • Old Timer
  • Mood: Cynical
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2017, 05:14:00 PM »
I know nothing about Canadian law, but are SDITs even recognized as SDs? I don't know the details of the story, but I question if the company was being slaughtered online and they figured just eating their stance (if correct) would make it stop, as it seems to have done.
Jubilee - Service Dog - German Wirehaired Pointer
Jubi's FB page!
In Loving Memory of Service Dog Saxon (6/5/13-12/2/15)

Offline SandyStern

• Official Welcomer
  • Mood: Happy
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2017, 06:22:16 PM »
The woman's story is that she has a service dog and is training another one, and since she can't go out without the service dog, she needs to have both dogs with her when she is training.

Just because you have the right to do something does not mean you should do it.

Offline Nala

• Mood: Brain fog
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2017, 04:05:31 PM »
Forgive the newbie question here, but I am genuinely curious. It does not say what the dogs were trained for. Is it possible there might be a medical necessity for such an arrangement if the SDiT has not yet mastered a task that is vital to the handler's health? Is there a situation where taking the SD out with the SDiT is ok?

Offline SandyStern

• Official Welcomer
  • Mood: Happy
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2017, 04:21:55 PM »
I'm an old cynic, Nala.
It's theoretically possible.

Offline Kirsten

• Administrator
  • Have a flufftastic day!
  • Mood: Okay
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2017, 04:34:41 PM »
Public access training is about proofing and generalizing behaviors learned first at home.  That's why generally speaking public access it trained last, after obedience and task training, and when the dog is mature enough to benefit from the proofing.

With younger dogs what you're doing isn't actually public access training (it's called habituation and socialization) and can and should be done in pet friendly locations.  Task training is easier than public access training and typically goes pretty quickly, quicker than either obedience or public access.

So suppose I've taught my dog to halt at intersections and curbs and to resist going forward without a special command.  I'm going to teach it at home first, walking around my neighborhood and then I'm going to gradually move out from my neighborhood to gradually more difficult places for him to practice that task.  So by the time he's training at a level 10 distraction environment, he's already operating at 80% reliability at a level 9 distraction environment and likewise he's already done a lot of generalization.

People without trainer's access rights, which is most owner-trainers, do fine fully training their dogs before getting public access rights. I did. So she wants to take both but it's not actually necessary.
Kirsten and Tardis
In loving memory of Cole (1/11/99 - 6/26/12)  He gave me back my life.

"The one absolute, unselfish friend that man can have in this selfish world -- the one that never proves ungrateful or treacherous -- is his dog." -George G. Vest