Author Topic: Dog goes wild at Cats: Service pooch belonging to member of audience charges aft  (Read 247 times)

Offline responsiblek9

• Mood: Okay
  • SDC interest: SD partner
 :facepalm: :headbang:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5150375/Audience-members-service-dog-charges-Cats-character.html

Happened in NY
Dog goes wild at Cats: Service pooch belonging to member of audience charges after Broadway actress during musical's opening number Jellicle

By Dailymail.com Reporter
PUBLISHED: 01:57 EST, 6 December 2017
A thousand miles you walked with me ,
 Through the fields and streams
  Down many a lonely place, On darkened  paths and streets

Offline SandyStern

• Official Welcomer
  • Mood: Happy
Vest of the type advertised on Amazon: check.
Visible ID card attached to vest: check.
Mortified owner-- uh huh. 

Any guesses as to how much training and testing this dog has experienced?

Offline ccunnin3

• Little Win Guru
  • Old Timer
  • Nicer Once You Get To Know Her
I mentioned this in the fb group and I will repeat it here. I cannot believe this dog was not kicked out of the theater.
Caitlin and AIRLIE
My Blog

Offline Ariel

• Scruffmaster Extraordinaire
  • Old Timer
  • Mood: Cynical
I mentioned this in the fb group and I will repeat it here. I cannot believe this dog was not kicked out of the theater.

I'm going to echo this. I would be mortified as was mentioned the hander was (and rightfully so) if my dog got loose from me and ran after ANYONE in an attempt to attack them. You bet your Equus africanus asinus I wouldn't be staying. I'd be leaving and heading home to take my dog to the vet the first thing the next morning. That is NOT normal behavior of a service dog, and if that isn't in the dog's temperament, that's a serious symptom to a myriad of health conditions. If aggression IS the normal behavior of a service dog, it astounds me that the handler continued to use them a service dog. It's downright dangerous.

As a side note, you don't see many Kerry Blue Terriers. As a follow up side note, there's a reason they are not often used as service dogs.
Jubilee - Service Dog - German Wirehaired Pointer
Jubi's FB page!
In Loving Memory of Service Dog Saxon (6/5/13-12/2/15)

Offline OlgatheGSD

• Loquacious Member
  • Michelle and Olga
  • Mood: Brain fog
  • SDC interest: owner-trainer
Would it be possible that the dog was removed and it just wasn't mentioned?

That said, I would book it if my dog did that. Leave town, change my name, retire my dog, the works.
Potato quality human with a smarter-than-you-honor-student dog.

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Olga-the-GSD-1632466706793262/

Offline SandyStern

• Official Welcomer
Hah! Right there with you, Michelle. Witness protection program for me.

Offline Kirsten

• Administrator
  • Have a flufftastic day!
  • SDC interest: owner-trainer
I saw Cats live in a theater.  The cast members crept out among the audience in pitch black and then turned on glowing eyes.  I did not know they were going to do this, but I'd had a run in with Pa Ingalls the year before so now I make a point of telling the theater staff that I have a service dog and where I will be sitting and if the cast will be moving down the aisles or through the audience that the director should be made aware that there is a big dog at XX seat and the dog won't do anything but they should know it so they don't trip over him.

Mr. Maphisto (sp?) was the cat that came right up to our seat and turned his eye lights on.  Cole did nothing but look at him.  He thought the whole performance was rather boring.  He preferred the Ingalls one where his cousin was playing Jack, the dog and "School House Rock" where all the kids ran on stage at once squealing.  After that entrance though, he said it was boring.

Tardis saw a live action witch trial in Colonial Williamsburg.  He was young then, just two years old.  We were in the jury so he couldn't actually see the actress just hear her screaming and stomping on the stage.  Suddenly a fluffy head popped up between me and my sister to see what was going on, then he disappeared again because I was sooooo mortified that he broke his stay and paws-upped in my lap to see the action.  I had specifically asked about the ghost walk that we did before that and whether there would be anyone jumping out to scare us, because I didn't figure he was ready for that.  They said, "no," and then people did jump out.  Tar was cool about it, but he could also see the actors and wasn't just listening to them on the other side of a solid banister and feeling the floor shake.  I had to forgive him because Cole too had to peek over the solid banister at the high school to see the kids squealing and running on stage.  Then both settled down and chilled/snoozed for the rest of the performance.
Kirsten and Tardis
In loving memory of Cole (1/11/99 - 6/26/12)  He gave me back my life.

"The one absolute, unselfish friend that man can have in this selfish world -- the one that never proves ungrateful or treacherous -- is his dog." -George G. Vest

Offline ZombieFodder

• Certified Zombie Hunter
  • Official Welcomer
  • "Probably just a fever"
  • Mood: Weird
  • SDC interest: curious
Eh, Daily Mail is a tabloid. I need another source before I believe it. Not saying it didn't happen, I just don't really trust DM. I mean, I want to believe the National Enquirer really does have Sasquatch, but I don't.  :cool:
THE HARDEST PART OF A ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE
          will be pretending I'm not excited

Offline SandyStern

• Official Welcomer
I hate theater and movies, but I go with my sister sometimes because she does things for me. In one production the director came out before the play began and said that there would be loud noises and flashing lights, so anyone with a service dog should be forewarned.  Good for them! SD#2 never woke up.

Offline ZombieFodder

• Official Welcomer
This was the only thing I could find from a source I may trust about it. Daily Mail, Page Six = Tabloid and gossip stuff that I consider not news. Like if this story was in the National Enquirer I also wouldn't trust it. I'm still not sure I trust it even being in a Broadway article now that I've seen it on DM, lol. I fell for one of these once not knowing what DM was and it turned out to be fake. So if the one and only source is ever DM, I call it fake.

https://www.broadwayworld.com/article/Service-Dog-Runs-Amok-During-CATS-Opening-Number-20171206

Offline ZombieFodder

• Official Welcomer
Like half these use gossip rags as the source, but Broadway and the actual news from Portland I'll go with since the Cats spokesperson apparently confirmed it. I wouldn't trust DM for anything reliable. Page 6 is like TMZ, better but with a grain or two of salt.

Having a dog do this would cause me to never use them again. Couldn't handle everyone laughing at me. Half of me is like, WTF hold the dog on a leash and the other half is like...oh man this poor guy.  :mellow:

Offline qtrhorse89

• SDC interest: waiting
I don't think that image is of the actual service dog in question. It is copyrighted to Getty Images and that is a stock photo website.

Offline NMA

• Loquacious Member
My SD and I go to the theater regularly. We had a show with a real dog in it last season & someone (I think the house manager(?) came up to me to warn me about it. Tthe dog onstage didnít make any noise or anything to alarm my dog, but Iím guessing they either had an issue in the past or were being very proactive.

Offline Henry Kisor

Sometimes dogs will be dogs at the most unexpected and inopportune moments. Terriers, for one, make great hearing dogs because of their high energy levels. They also have a tendency to be noisily protective when startled. In my opinion it's incumbent upon the service dog's partner to watch out for situations in which the dog might be startled into reacting . . . and, when it happens, to refresh the training of the dog, to come closer to the ideal of behavior. No dog is perfect and we should not pretend they are.

All this said, we don't know what the partner's disability was, what breed the dog is, where it was trained, how it was trained . . . or if the dog is even a real service dog. Best to reserve judgment until we know. (And of course the disability is private information.)