Author Topic: The dangers of getting a mixed breed prospect...(breed oopsie)  (Read 246 times)

Offline Summertime.and.Azkaban

• Resident Terrier Wrangler
  • Old Timer
  • Holli and Azkaban
  • Mood: Tired
  • SDC interest: owner-trainer
Re: The dangers of getting a mixed breed prospect...(breed oopsie)
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2017, 04:40:37 PM »
Owner training is a long ride full of literal blood, sweat, and tears. Enjoy the puppy brain, teenage brain comes next.  :wink:

I don't know that I'll ever get a puppy again, Rayner was a holy horror as a teenager. Adult dogs are so much easier.  :doublethumbup:

For what it's worth I'm not super familiar with staffies, but her coat does look odd to me. I'm not sure if it's just a poorly bred coat (outside of breed standard) or what, but it looks longer than most staffies I've seen.

Her face doesn't look remotely mal-ish to me. She looks like a straight bully girl in the face to me.

I would die if I found out I had a mutt with a large percentage of mal in there. I avoid mals like the plague, too much dog for me.
-Azkaban, Rayner, and Chewy-
"I am not interested in picking up crumbs of compassion thrown from the table of someone who considers himself my master. I want the full menu of rights" -Desmond Tutu
PM me about being pen pals or receiving a holiday card in the mail!

Offline Nala

• Mood: Brain fog
« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2017, 03:36:47 PM »
It's hard to see in the pictures, but she is developing a full on double coat. There is no way daddy was a staffy, pit, rott, or any of the usual suspects. She is shedding so bad I have to take a lint roller to my bed every night before I go to bed (sensory issues). I'm just waiting to see how soon she stops growing. I think we've hit another growth spurt because her butt shot up again. All I know is I have never met a staffie, pit, or rott with this temperament. She sure seems to have the activity level and energy requirements of a mal at least on paper and from the people I've talked to. It's not that bad now that I'm used to it and I've figured out what makes her tick. She'll do anything for food, including leaving the food, if that makes any sense. I've ingrained in her since day one that when you see food, you don't touch it because you're more likely to get some of it as a reward than if you had tried to eat it without permission.

I probably wouldn't have gotten so much dog on purpose, but now that I have her she's grown on me. I love her to bits...most days (except for that time she chewed up my one pair of nice leather dress shoes :dry:). We'll just have to wait and see how she turns out. I'm saving up for a DNA test because I'm really curious, but being a PWD on a limited income that might be a while. My parents have started calling her Clifford because she won't stop growing! :biggrin:

Offline punstersquared

• Mood: Brain fog
« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2017, 04:02:49 PM »
She's very cute. I just want to caution you that it's hard to tell in the pictures but it looks like she might be on the chunky side for a puppy. Being a Staffie mix who was poorly bred and having those straight hind legs, she's already at higher risk of having joint problems like hip dysplasia, elbow dysplasia, cruciate ligament degeneration in the future. You'll want to keep her on the skinny side for life but especially during development. Calorie restriction has been shown to decrease the risk of developing orthopedic problems like hip dysplasia and also making them less apt to have progression of and pain from these developmental orthopedic diseases. You should be able to see the last rib or two in a short-coated dog who's in their major growth phase. If you look up Body Condition Score scales, the veterinary orthopedists I learned from want to see pups that age at 4/9. Here are a few puppy pictures of Cricket to illustrate. He had good muscle but essentially NO intra-abdominal fat as a puppy and very little subcutaneous fat, hence the profound tuck inward of his abdomen. When you rest your hand on the back of her ribcage, you should feel ribs with no padding. As an adult, you can let them get up a bit more towards 5/9, but you greatly reduce their risk of joint problems by keeping them lean as pups.

https://i.imgur.com/3Uz0J03.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/6kWrXgX.jpg?1

https://i.imgur.com/nHCT1Mx.jpg

I'll be curious to hear what she turns out to be if you ever do the DNA test. Malinois are smaller than GSDs and females should be only 40-60 lbs when fully grown. Whatever she is, she sure if cute! I hear you about the trials and tribulations of puppyhood. Part of me has puppy fever but really I do not miss that phase. :wink: