Author Topic: The dangers of getting a mixed breed prospect...(breed oopsie)  (Read 255 times)

Offline Nala

• Mood: Brain fog
  • SDC interest: owner-trainer
The dangers of getting a mixed breed prospect...(breed oopsie)
« on: December 04, 2017, 01:34:02 PM »
I got my prospect, Nala, from a rescue situation (not a rescue though). Long story, but she was a multi-sire oops baby from a "pure-bred" litter of Staffordshire Terriers (a breed commonly mistaken for Pitbull Terriers). Nala was clearly not purebred, but I wanted something a bit bigger anyway. She had all the hallmarks of a staffweiler (Stafforshire/Rottweiler) except that instead of a solid black coat she was a very dark sable. Strange but not impossible. Except as she grew she started looking a little funny. She has way too much leg and her temperament isn't right. She has way too much energy and drive for a staffweiler. Staffies and rottweilers are both pretty chill. Chill is not even in her vocabulary. Long story short, at 6 months, she has grown enough for me to deduce some characteristics that she must have inherited from her sire seeing as I saw her dam in person.
  • long face
  • ears the size of a small country
  • short, wiry, double coat
  • dark sable coloring
  • black mask
  • slim waist
  • deep girth
  • extreme herding drive
  • extreme food drive

After consulting with my vet and several knowledgeable friends, it has been concluded that mama must have been cavorting with a belgian malinois.  :blink:

Fortunately we have been getting along fine. I've put off training classes until spring because she was just not mentally ready. We spent the last 4 months addressing potty training, impulse control, more impulse control, how not to chase the chickens, ducks, horses, cats, and pigs, and did I mention impulse control? She's doing really well for 6 months and I'm proud to say that she has not killed a single duck, chicken, or baby kitten (even by accident). The biggest thing she needs is time.

As long I take my time, I think she'll turn out great. I'm just lucky I moved back in with parents on their farm so she has 23 acres to run on. My parents are having a good laugh at my expense. They joke that she's my horse in dog form. I guess I'm just attracted to stubborn, drivey, too-smart-for-their-own-good animals. She and the horse adore each other. I go out riding and Nala runs along with. Great way to burn that mali energy!

I wish I could post a photo, but I haven't been on here long enough for that. Do you think I could get one of the mods to post it for me?

Online OlgatheGSD

• Loquacious Member
  • Michelle and Olga
Re: The dangers of getting a mixed breed prospect...(breed oopsie)
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2017, 01:53:56 PM »
You can upload the picture to Imgur and post the link here :smile:

Nala sounds like a good kick in the pants!
Potato quality human with a smarter-than-you-honor-student dog.

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Olga-the-GSD-1632466706793262/

Offline SandyStern

• Official Welcomer
  • Mood: Happy
  • SDC interest: SD partner
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2017, 01:57:44 PM »
Oh, geez. What a handful.
I'm told that DNA testing is cheap these days. Maybe it will become standard, just to assess breed. Later, we can hope for temperament prediction.

Offline Azariah

• Old Timer
  • Mood: Tired
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2017, 02:57:15 PM »
I'm very sorry that she didn't turn out how you expected. I'm glad that you two are getting along so well.

Have you taken a step back now that you know more about her personality and structure to evaluate whether she'll work well as a service dog for your needs? I know that is a hard question to have to answer but since things are changing from what you expected I think it is a good one. For example - impulse control is going to be absolutely essential in any service dog. You're working on that with her and she may end up with great impulse control but she doesn't have it now. She sounds like she has a lot more energy than you expected. As long as there is an "off" switch that might be just fine. I would struggle in public with a high energy dog without an off switch. My 3 year old Cosmo fits into that category (as well as having limited impulse control) and it is a key reason why he wasn't selected for my service dog in public. He helps my husband with tasks at home and does great there but I'd never want us to have to take him places with us!
Invisible physical and mental disabilities.
Advanced experience training obedience dogs. Very new to training service dogs.
Current Samoyeds: Rio (11), Cosmo (3), Serenity (SDiT)

Offline Nala

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2017, 10:54:56 AM »
Olga, I can't upload pictures until I've reached 50 posts. Understandable, but still a little frustrating. :sad: She is indeed a kick in the pants. :laugh: Sandy, it will be interesting to see what DNA testing shows once I save up enough for it. The problem is she was a multisire oopsie. I don't think they even wanted to know what she was. They just wanted her gone before people started to come look at her purebred siblings.

Fortunately I already lead a very active life and Nala seems to be settling in nicely. While obviously her impulse control isn't perfect, it has come a long way since I got her.

Azariah, for all the energy she has, she also is developing a "working mode". As soon as we start training, it's like a switch flips and she has a laser focus. When we go away from home she loves to just watch everything around her. At 6 months I haven't really started doing public access yet, but sometimes if my mom needs to make a quick trip to the store or something, we'll hitch a ride and I'll stay outside with Nala and let her just watch the cars and the people coming and going. We just go over to the grass by the side of the parking lot so we're out of the way. She's a completely different dog. She just sits there and watches, drinking it all in like a sponge. She's alert, but not afraid. The first time we did this she was 10 weeks. That was the first time I realized she had that switch in her. At first she watched from the safety of my lap, but now she'll sit a foot or two away and just look and you can see the wheels turning. Sometimes someone will come over and ask to pet her. I'll usually say yes to a quick pat, no cuddles though. She just give a polite tail wag and goes back to watching. I think she's doing awesome. As long I stick to her routine, she's not bouncing off the walls much at all. I keep a huge stash of nyla bones and durable kong stuffing-free kong toys because she is a chewer, but when managed properly she's a gem. I think she is going to be one of those that is super focused on duty, no nonsense, but then as soon as that vest comes off she goes completely looney and needs to blow off all that pent up energy.

She lives a very structured life.

• 30 minutes of exercise with the flirt pole in the morning
  • 2-3 hours of supervised turnout with my parents dogs (a 9-year-old Cairn terrier and a 10-month-old Pit Bull Terrier) in the afternoon (includes inproptu impulse control sessions whenever a cat, chicken or duck catches her attention)
  • 3 meals a day all fed via Kong puzzle toys (20-30 minutes of chasing kongs around the kitchen per meal)
  • 30 minutes of fetch or running along side the horse on a trail ride in the afternoon
  • 10 minutes of structured training (sit/down/heel)
  • 10 minutes of impulse control training with human food

I am very proud of how far she has come. I play various group games with all threes dogs to practice impulse control around human food and Nala is actually showing up the older dogs. I can drop a piece raw chicken an inch from her face and she won't even look at it without my permission. We also are in the process of selling one of the horses, so we have perspective buyers coming to look at her. Nala is always getting compliments about how well behaved she is. She rarely jumps up anymore and never barks at strangers.

As long I don't do anything stupid and push her too fast, she'll be fine. But, yes, she takes management. She's got sass and attitude in spades. But then again, so does my horse. No wonder they get along so well. It would seem I have a type. :biggrin:

Online OlgatheGSD

• Loquacious Member
  • Michelle and Olga
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2017, 11:13:59 AM »
You sound like you are doing beautiful with her!!  I did the people watching with Olga for about 6 months to sort of temperament test her along the way while doing in home obedience and socialize her. Sitting outside a store gets them familiar with the sights, smells, and sounds while also learning to remain calm outside of one. I liked sitting outside of Petco because the dogs were better behaved than the ones going into grocery stores lol

As far as the pictures, I don't believe it is against forum rules to post a link to one below 50 posts. Imgur is free and safe to use. I post my pictures to private so they are only viewable with a link. There's the website and also a mobile app.
Potato quality human with a smarter-than-you-honor-student dog.

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Olga-the-GSD-1632466706793262/

Online Ariel

• Scruffmaster Extraordinaire
  • Old Timer
  • Mood: Cynical
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2017, 11:17:04 AM »
Olga, I can't upload pictures until I've reached 50 posts.

No one on SD can upload a picture directly to the forum, that's been a long disabled feature. What you can do is upload a picture to a host site (Imgur is a popular one) and post the link to the picture or album for us to view.

So like this:
https://imgur.com/a/lnUUD
Jubilee - Service Dog - German Wirehaired Pointer
Jubi's FB page!
In Loving Memory of Service Dog Saxon (6/5/13-12/2/15)

Offline Nala

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2017, 11:24:40 AM »
Oh, thought it said that in the rules. Must have been an old rule. Thought that's why i couldn't see a little button for attaching pics. :facepalm: Give me a few minutes to figure out this Imgur thing.

Online Ariel

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2017, 11:44:07 AM »
Another thing you can do is add Youtube videos. If you have a Youtube video that you're proud of, share the link!
Jubi's FB page!

Offline Nala

« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2017, 12:00:47 PM »
Ha! I think I figured it out!

Here you can see the long face. There are distinct staffie characteristics if you know what you're looking for, but it is way too long for a true staffie.
https://imgur.com/0p17GAu

Here's that lovely sable coloring across her back. It's actually not quite as dark as it looks, but my phone takes terrible pictures.
https://imgur.com/kbwai57

The best side shot I could find. Ignore the shaved belly, she is still growing the hair back from her spay surgery.
https://imgur.com/YqrZH3i

Those ears!!! They are the shape of staffie ears, which makes them flop over and will eventually produce that nice staffie rose ear, but they are way too big and thick for true staffie ears.
https://imgur.com/1RS6y32

Online Ariel

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2017, 12:22:30 PM »
I don't see any Malinois at all. Not a single Mal trait and I know quite a few Mals. You said she was sold to you as a purebred Staffie? I could actually see that. Not a well bred one (poorly bred doesn't always mean unhealthy or unsuited for service work) but I see all Staffie in her.

The ears and a few other little things wouldn't be traits of a dog that would be competitive in the breed ring, but that doesn't mean she wasn't purebred. They come in Sable, so it isn't like she's a color that the breed is not capable of producing.

Every single temperament and personality trait you listed were all ones common to Staffies as well. Regardless of whether she's purebred Staffie with a lot of big Staffie attitude and all that comes with or a random mystery sire came out of the woodworks and disappeared just as quickly, she's adorable and I'm glad she's working well for you.
Jubi's FB page!

Offline Nala

« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2017, 01:05:05 PM »
Hm. Well, we'll have to agree to disagree. She just hit 50 lbs at 6 months old and her mom was a very typey staffie and 45lbs full grown. There is no way she is purebred of even just poorly bred. As for what she is, mal is the current theory which is supported by the vet and several working dog experts who have seen her in person, but I'm hoping to get a DNA test at some point in the next year or two. Hey, maybe she's not or maybe she is only a 1/4 mal or something. I don't know. She's certainly not the rottweiler we first thought she was. :biggrin: But whatever she is, it doesn't really matter. I love her to bits and she's working out fine...even if she turns out to be something out of left field like a doberman (good heavens I hope not!).

Online Ariel

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2017, 01:11:03 PM »
She's not my dog and it doesn't matter to me one way or another what she is or what you think she is. If she's a good prospect, that's what matters.  :smile:
Jubi's FB page!

Offline Nala

« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2017, 01:25:17 PM »
Agreed. Now it's just a waiting game for her little puppy peanut brain to settle down enough to start real PA training. That'll probably take a few more months. *sigh* Patience has never been more of a virtue.  :closedeyes:

Online Ariel

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2017, 01:28:57 PM »
Owner training is a long ride full of literal blood, sweat, and tears. Enjoy the puppy brain, teenage brain comes next.  :wink:
Jubi's FB page!