General Discussion > In the News (publicly viewable board)

Servicemember Claims Discrimination Over Service Dog On ...

(1/2) > >>

responsiblek9:
http://denver.cbslocal.com/2017/12/01/discrimination-claim-over-service-dog/
Servicemember Claims Discrimination Over Service Dog On ...
CBS Local-Dec 1, 2017
Shortly after, he started using a certified service animal. Brode says things started to escalate when a gate agent criticized him for not alerting the airline that he had a service animal for his flight. The confrontation continued onboard. Brode says he was constantly harassed for having a service animal and ...

ccunnin3:
He didn't tell them in advance he had an SD as legally required. So they asked him more questions. How did he find a lawyer to take this case? Is he just hoping the airline will settle?

SandyStern:
I'm pretty sure you don't have to give advance notice, but you'd be foolish not to since it helps the airline accommodate you.  I suspect that what happened here is that the gate agent said something, and the handler got huffy about it, and then it was all downhill from there.  As I heard a judge say to a defendant once, if you go looking for trouble, you'll usually find it. 

I wish the airlines weren't so quick to settle this kind of case because it fosters the mistaken belief that if anyone makes an ill-considered remark to a SD handler, the handler gets a free pass to behave badly. In court, it wouldn't matter so much how you got to the point where the person was removed from the flight.  If he was yelling or making a scene, he gets removed.

ccunnin3:
Sandy, I'm not positve about other types of service dog but PSDs are legally obligated to notify the airline at least 48 hours in advance of the flight.

SandyStern:
Ah. I missed that part of the story.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Sitemap 
Go to full version