Author Topic: ‘She Had Her Vest On’: Woman With Service Dog Attacked At Grocery Store  (Read 338 times)

Offline responsiblek9

• Mood: Okay
  • SDC interest: SD partner
‘She Had Her Vest On’: Woman With Service Dog Attacked At Grocery Store

http://denver.cbslocal.com/2017/11/27/woman-service-dog-attacked/ 
Burds says she was shopping for Thanksgiving at the King Soopers at 136th Ave & Colorado Blvd when a man she did not know tried to pull her dog out of her hands.
A thousand miles you walked with me ,
 Through the fields and streams
  Down many a lonely place, On darkened  paths and streets

Offline responsiblek9

http://www.wtol.com/story/36942461/man-started-fight-over-service-dog-woman-says

Man started fight over service dog, woman says
Tuesday, November 28th 2017,

Burds said she never got the man's name and therefore couldn't file a police report.

The Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act protects service dog owners from having to detail why they need their dog, but some people abuse the system.

Offline Suse

• Old Timer
Her dog was a SDiT  (Service Dog in Training), not a Service Dog.  Unless Colorado has a law giving SDiT's the same rights as SD's.  it is my understanding they are not protected under the ADA.

I do not know, maybe it is late (11:30 pm)  and I am just not understanding?

Whatever, the man was awful.

Offline responsiblek9

Yes Colorado has laws allowing for service dogs in training to have public access. Just have to be clearly marked . But I did not see a service dog in training patch on the dog .

Online Moonsong

• Dog Training Student
  • Old Timer
  • My SD is my Super (hero) Dog
  • Mood: Sad
  • SDC interest: owner-trainer
Suse, regardless of whether the dog was an SDiT, SD, or full-on fake that man has no right to call her out on 'faking' and certainly has no right to attempt to take the dog away. Only a judge can decide if a person is disabled and their dog legitimately trained, and if they require public access accommodations as a team. Nobody gets to make themselves the 'service dog police'.
Max - shih tzu/poodle- SDiT  Max's Facebook Page
Kirby - Pied Cockatiel - official bird of SDC
My YouTube channel (I love receiving feedback on my training methods!)

Offline Suse

• Old Timer
Interesting, I have not been to Colorado for several years and did not know that their Service Dog laws had changed to allow SDiT's the same rights.  ...............Do you have a link for this? 

I would really appreciate it as I may be moving to Colorado.I hope I will not need to have another SDiT, but one never knows.

Absolutely agree the man had no right to do what he did! Terrible...   

Offline Kirsten

• Administrator
  • Have a flufftastic day!
What makes you say the dog is a SDIT?  What difference does it make if the dog is?

======

I sent the writer an email with the following message:

re: ‘She Had Her Vest On’: Woman With Service Dog Attacked At Grocery Store

It's HIPAA (Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996), not HIPPA and it's about what information medical providers can give out about their patience (has nothing to do with service animals).  The law you wanted was the ADA (Americans with Disabilities Act).

I hate autocorrect.  It changed patients to patience.  Why?  Patients is a word.
Kirsten and Tardis
In loving memory of Cole (1/11/99 - 6/26/12)  He gave me back my life.

"The one absolute, unselfish friend that man can have in this selfish world -- the one that never proves ungrateful or treacherous -- is his dog." -George G. Vest

Offline Arrowcom

• Loquacious Member
  • Mood: Happy
No matter the circumstances surrounding the dog, the fact that someone tried to grab it from this lady is terrifying. Living in Las Vegas, you get a lot of odd balls around here. And I have had one or two people mention how Cindi looks 'so sad' while working. If i had someone try to take my dog I'll pepper spray them, or else fight tooth and nail to keep her. I'd rather someone take my purse then my friend and my partner.
Accept the things you can not change, have the courage to change the things you can, and have the wisdom to know the difference.

Online SandyStern

• Official Welcomer
  • Mood: Happy
I'm still cracking up about the reference to HIPPAA. 

Offline ZombieFodder

• Certified Zombie Hunter
  • Official Welcomer
  • "Probably just a fever"
  • Mood: Weird
  • SDC interest: curious
Interesting, I have not been to Colorado for several years and did not know that their Service Dog laws had changed to allow SDiT's the same rights.  ...............Do you have a link for this? 

I would really appreciate it as I may be moving to Colorado.I hope I will not need to have another SDiT, but one never knows.

Absolutely agree the man had no right to do what he did! Terrible...

Not that it matters, because regardless you can't put your hands on people or steal their stuff. They said SDiT, but the harness says otherwise. They may have just made a mistake like they did with the hipaa thing.

https://www.animallaw.info/statute/co-assistance-animals-colorado-assistance-animalguide-dog-laws

(2) A trainer of a service animal, or an individual with a disability accompanied by an animal that is being trained to be a service animal, has the right to be accompanied by the service animal in training without being required to pay an extra charge for the service animal in training in or on the following places or during the following activities:

(a) Any place of employment, housing, or public accommodation;

(b) Any programs, services, or activities conducted by a public entity;

(c) Any public transportation service; or

(d) Any other place open to the public.
THE HARDEST PART OF A ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE
          will be pretending I'm not excited

Offline RedSonia29

• No. We're not going for a ride....
Re: ‘She Had Her Vest On’: Woman With Service Dog Attacked At Grocery Store
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2017, 01:36:16 PM »
Yes Colorado has laws allowing for service dogs in training to have public access. Just have to be clearly marked . But I did not see a service dog in training patch on the dog .

It said "Service Dog - Do Not Pet" on one side of the vest and "Service Dog in Training" on the other side.
In loving memory of Clive (CLASS, CGC, Diabetic Alert Dog). You saved my life countless times just by using your heart, nose, and your fat pit bull head. Our time together was too short and I miss you every day. 12/21/11 - 11/19/2016

Bowie's Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/BowietheDAD/

Offline RedSonia29

« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2017, 01:37:57 PM »
They said SDiT, but the harness says otherwise.

Posted this on @responsiblek9's response as well: The harness said "Service Dog - Do Not Pet" on one side of the vest and "Service Dog in Training" on the other side.
In loving memory of Clive (CLASS, CGC, Diabetic Alert Dog). You saved my life countless times just by using your heart, nose, and your fat pit bull head. Our time together was too short and I miss you every day. 12/21/11 - 11/19/2016

Offline ZombieFodder

• Certified Zombie Hunter
  • Official Welcomer
  • "Probably just a fever"
  • Mood: Weird
  • SDC interest: curious
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2017, 02:07:04 PM »
Missed it. Maybe it's right on the line between the 2 or something? Doesn't really matter anyway in CO. People still can't try to take your stuff regardless.
THE HARDEST PART OF A ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE
          will be pretending I'm not excited

Offline Solace

• Mood: Tired
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2017, 02:47:50 PM »
I don't understand why she couldn't do a police report because she didn't have his name.  If a stranger tries to take your purse and then runs off you can make a police report.

There was a guy in our county grabbing women's butts and then running off.  They were able to make police reports.  Because of the police reports, they could put the info together and then catch the guy.

Hit and run driver?  You can make a police report.

Offline RedSonia29

« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2017, 02:51:34 PM »
Missed it. Maybe it's right on the line between the 2 or something? Doesn't really matter anyway in CO. People still can't try to take your stuff regardless.

Yeah, it was a bit hard to see in the video and it was only on one side of the vest. The only reason I caught it was because we have the same patch.  :wink:

Definitely agree. Honestly, who (other than the BSL cops in Denver County) comes up to a person and tries to take their dog?