Author Topic: dremeling nails on long haired dog  (Read 93 times)

Offline Kirsten

• Administrator
  • Have a flufftastic day!
  • Mood: Okay
  • SDC interest: owner-trainer
dremeling nails on long haired dog
« on: November 28, 2017, 11:30:59 AM »
No, nothing horrible happened to dear Tar but yesterday was so lovely we sprawled out on the patio and did mani/pedis for all the dogs.  I've been just trimming with my miller's forge bypass trimmers and not doing the tidy up I typically do with the dremel.  I got out of that habit with the neighbor's dogs incident because dremeling nails creates a noxious smelling grey toenail dust that really is best released outside in open air instead of distributed inside the house.

So we dremeled yesterday.  Ruby was my first volunteer and all went as usual (she's like all my previous dogs).  Then it was Tardis's turn and I was reminded that long hair dogs have to be done a bit differently or the long hair near the nails can get caught in the dremel and this is not pleasant for anyone.  And it occured to me this was worth mentioning to anyone considering dremeling who had a long haired dog or one who had longish hair near the nails.

You've basically got two choices, you can trim the hair around the nails and it does make the feet look nice and tidy or you can part the long hair and hold it away from the nail tip while dremeling.

I do trim the long hair that sticks down between the foot pads on Tardis because it just collects mud clumps and makes foot prints messier and sloppier.  Sometimes in summer I'll stop trimming it because the extra hair can act as a protection from hot pavement, but come fall I trim it flush with the bottom of the foot.  However, Tardis also has long hair that sticks up between his center toes like rhino horns which I find adorable so I leave those and call them "hobbit toes."  And he has some that sticks out on either side of each nail in his pencil marks which I sometimes trim and sometimes don't, depending on my mood (and his).

So yeah, if you're going to dremel a long haired dog's nails, be mindful that the long hair doesn't get wrapped around the dremel because it will cause the dremel to suddenly stop which is hard on the dremel and it yanks that toe hair which is at best alarming to the dog and at worst uncomfortable or painful.

If you have long hair, tie it back before dremeling nails or the same thing could happen to you.
Kirsten and Tardis
In loving memory of Cole (1/11/99 - 6/26/12)  He gave me back my life.

"The one absolute, unselfish friend that man can have in this selfish world -- the one that never proves ungrateful or treacherous -- is his dog." -George G. Vest

Offline Arrowcom

• Loquacious Member
  • Mood: Happy
  • SDC interest: SD partner
Re: dremeling nails on long haired dog
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2017, 11:51:15 AM »
Haha! I wish I'd seen this earlier. With my first dog, a pet Bichon Frise, I tried dremeling his nails. It went okay, but I ran into a few complications. Mainly that with my low vision I had to get so close to the nail that for starters I got nail dust in my eyes! And then I got my hair in the Dremel! And man is not fun! And I did get my poor dogs hair once or twice as well. But he was a trooper and it never really bothered him. I just didn't make a big deal out of it and made sure to cut the hair around his nails after that.
Accept the things you can not change, have the courage to change the things you can, and have the wisdom to know the difference.

Online Ariel

• Scruffmaster Extraordinaire
  • Old Timer
  • Mood: Cynical
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2017, 11:59:47 AM »
If you have long hair, tie it back before dremeling nails or the same thing could happen to you.

It's been several years since my shoulders were at a place that I could handle a dremel, but I could have used this warning maybe 3-4 years ago... You're a little late Kirsten. Thankfully that little bald spot has since grown back.  :wink:
Jubilee - Service Dog - German Wirehaired Pointer
Jubi's FB page!
In Loving Memory of Service Dog Saxon (6/5/13-12/2/15)

Offline KaeBee

• Loquacious Member
  • Mood: Excited
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2017, 01:02:24 PM »
I have a friend who keeps an old pair of nylons/panty hose around for dremeling her long haired dog's nails. The covers the paw in the material then pushed the nails through. The material holds the hairs back and allows her to dremel without worrying about catching them.

Online Ariel

• Scruffmaster Extraordinaire
  • Old Timer
  • Mood: Cynical
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2017, 01:36:16 PM »
I have a friend who keeps an old pair of nylons/panty hose around for dremeling her long haired dog's nails. The covers the paw in the material then pushed the nails through. The material holds the hairs back and allows her to dremel without worrying about catching them.

That sounds like a really fantastic idea that won't bother a dog who is used to having their feet messed with anyway.
Jubilee - Service Dog - German Wirehaired Pointer
Jubi's FB page!
In Loving Memory of Service Dog Saxon (6/5/13-12/2/15)