Author Topic: How did Eugeneís downtown dog ban work? Letís look at the numbers  (Read 108 times)

Offline responsiblek9

• Mood: Okay
  • SDC interest: SD partner
http://registerguard.com/rg/news/local/36175033-75/how-did-eugenes-downtown-dog-ban-work-lets-look-at-the-numbers.html.csp
How did Eugeneís downtown dog ban work?

Letís look at the numbers
City Council to see data Monday on the initiative, which some say improved safety and others say targeted the homeless
NOV. 27, 2017

Officer Bo Rankin, a member of departmentís downtown patrol, said another frustration was that everyone claimed their dog was a service animal.

Smith had said that before the ban took effect, that claim would not ≠preclude an officer from writing a citation.
A thousand miles you walked with me ,
 Through the fields and streams
  Down many a lonely place, On darkened  paths and streets

Offline OlgatheGSD

• Loquacious Member
  • Michelle and Olga
  • Mood: Brain fog
  • SDC interest: owner-trainer
Re: How did Eugeneís downtown dog ban work? Letís look at the numbers
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2017, 10:52:38 PM »
So this is near where I live and it's where I go to college.

I did not notice a significant difference in dogs downtown, but I did see several large dogs off leash with their owners while they were running. None directly posed a threat to us but it was still alarming. I never got stopped with Olga even though I was inside the ordinance every day, sometimes with her naked.

I have mixed feelings about this ordinance. On one had, homeless people do own aggressive dogs and sadly have no where safe to put them, and most don't use leashes. On the other hand, it does aim itself towards the homeless because it's just hard to tell who lives and works there so you'd either be stopping everyone, or you'd stop people you'd try to find something else illegal. Eugene has been trying to kick out their homeless population for ages by putting up fences around the typical camp sites and making it illegal to hang out in certain areas overnight. It targets people who are already down on their luck.

I'd rather they just crack down on existing leash laws and aggressive dog laws.
Potato quality human with a smarter-than-you-honor-student dog.

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Olga-the-GSD-1632466706793262/

Online SandyStern

• Official Welcomer
  • Mood: Happy
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2017, 07:27:44 AM »
Goodness.  Difficult situation.  The ACOs in Cambridge try to enforce the leash law in Harvard Square, but the angry young men who hang out there claim the dogs are SDs and cannot do their tasks on leash.  Seizure alert is the task most often claimed. I told the chief that I've never known a seizure alert or response dog to be off leash and that as far as I know, the off-leash reference in the regulations was never intended to mean all the time, just when the dog had to go away from the handler to perform a task.

Does the area where the ban is in effect have housing?  I mean, if they did this in Harvard Square, there would be a huge number of people who could not own dogs.

Offline OlgatheGSD

• Loquacious Member
  • Michelle and Olga
  • Mood: Brain fog
  • SDC interest: owner-trainer
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2017, 08:50:55 AM »
The ban was only for dogs not residing in eugene, hence why it heavily targeted the homeless. Without a local address, they were viilating the ban by being downtown with their dogs. It is a rather large housing area as it has a lot of upscale and student housing.
Potato quality human with a smarter-than-you-honor-student dog.

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Olga-the-GSD-1632466706793262/

Online SandyStern

• Official Welcomer
  • Mood: Happy
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2017, 10:19:53 AM »
Ah. Okay.