Author Topic: Nails bleeding after play outside  (Read 110 times)

Offline OlgatheGSD

• Loquacious Member
  • Michelle and Olga
  • Mood: Brain fog
  • SDC interest: owner-trainer
Nails bleeding after play outside
« on: November 27, 2017, 09:05:47 PM »
I have played with Olga in my backyard with the chuck it twice this week, and we have a concrete pad that runs in the middle of my yard and thus is unavoidable. I noticed her nails were flaking and worn down to the quick on some of them when I went to do the weekly nail trim, and her nails are SOFT. I could break them with my own nails. We are on the purina pro plan sensitive skin and stomach, and she is doing amazing on it, aside from this issue.

I will have her wear her boots and probably keep her home tomorrow instead of coming to class with me so she can rest and rebuild her nails. I know it's the food that's causing this, but I'm not sure how to go about it. I can add a biotin supplement to her food, just have her wear boots full time on concrete, switch foods (but I really don't want to because this food is affordable and is working wonders for her allergies), or take her to the vet to see if there's something underlying that's causing the soft nails with this food.

I'm freaking out a little. She's doing fine other than licking her paws, and she's not bleeding anymore. I noticed a few bits of pink when I gave her a bath after playing ball but I thought it was from her ripping her webbing again as she does that when she's running around excited, but now it's just obviously raw in some places. I can post pictures if needed.

My poor baby :sad:
Potato quality human with a smarter-than-you-honor-student dog.

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Olga-the-GSD-1632466706793262/

Offline Summertime.and.Azkaban

• Resident Terrier Wrangler
  • Old Timer
  • Holli and Azkaban
  • Mood: Tired
Re: Nails bleeding after play outside
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2017, 09:48:27 PM »
How about some nail caps like the kitty "soft paws"? They're just little pieces of vinyl that you glue over the dog's nail. They're supposed to help with scratching but they would also protect her nails from concrete. They may wear down faster than intended, so you may end up replacing them every week or every other week instead of every month (I think that was the interval suggested, but maybe that was on the kitty ones).

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=1408
-Azkaban, Rayner, and Chewy-
"I am not interested in picking up crumbs of compassion thrown from the table of someone who considers himself my master. I want the full menu of rights" -Desmond Tutu
PM me about being pen pals or receiving a holiday card in the mail!

Offline Kirsten

• Administrator
  • Have a flufftastic day!
  • Mood: Okay
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2017, 09:53:55 PM »
Mine don't get soft nails on the same food.  I feed mostly salmon and rice (sensative skin and stomach) because I can get it without the shreds that I don't like through the program that donates my dogs' food.

Nails toughen and soften based on how they are used.  They can also change the rate at which they grow out in response to wear.  Cole, for example, spent a number of years in his prime never needing a nail trim at all, but that's because he was going to dog school at night (on concrete floors) and working during the day (sidewalks).  His nails wore off at exactly the same rate as they grew.

So what you could do is decrease the exercise on the concrete for a little bit and build up on it gradually so her nails have a chance to catch up and compensate.

You can also add Knox unflavored gelatin to her food.  I'd float the kibble when adding gelatin to prevent her inhaling the powder.  So pour the gelatin in the bowl, add some water and swirl until wetted, then pour in kibble and swirl again to coat kibble.  Then feed.  Or, if she likes hoof chews, that's what gelatin basically is (hooves).
Kirsten and Tardis
In loving memory of Cole (1/11/99 - 6/26/12)  He gave me back my life.

"The one absolute, unselfish friend that man can have in this selfish world -- the one that never proves ungrateful or treacherous -- is his dog." -George G. Vest

Offline OlgatheGSD

• Loquacious Member
  • Michelle and Olga
  • Mood: Brain fog
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2017, 10:06:11 PM »
She get's hoof chews as a treat once in a while, I'll go pick a couple up since they are everywhere here from ranches all over.

I'll build up gradually. I only noticed her nails being soft when I switched to the food (tiral bag of the pro plan), then they got hard again on the diamond naturals lamb and rice large breed that she was on to begin with because I couldn't get another bag at the time and this was left over, then when I finally ran out of that and put her back on the pro plan and her nails are soft again. I know the food isn't deficient in anything, but I'm wondering if there was a difference in biotin between the two bags and her nails haven't adjusted.

I'd rather her wear her boots than nail protectors just because I already own them. It'd help keep her feet clean since right now my backyard is a mud pit. I do like the nail caps though. I wonder if it would make it easier to be stealthy on hard floors. I put boots on her when we go out so people don't hear dog feet and come running.
Potato quality human with a smarter-than-you-honor-student dog.

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Olga-the-GSD-1632466706793262/

Online Moonsong

• Dog Training Student
  • Old Timer
  • My SD is my Super (hero) Dog
  • Mood: Sad
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2017, 10:08:31 PM »
I put boots on her when we go out so people don't hear dog feet and come running.

Huh. I've always gotten the opposite effect with Max. He sounds like a little horse when he wears his boots. It's obvious that it isn't a human walking through the store going "clippety clop, clippety clop, clippety clop". They come running to see what it is and gush over how 'cute' it is that "he's wearing little shoes!!!" Ugh.
Max - shih tzu/poodle- SDiT  Max's Facebook Page
Kirby - Pied Cockatiel - official bird of SDC
My YouTube channel (I love receiving feedback on my training methods!)

Offline Solace

• Mood: Tired
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2017, 10:20:15 PM »
Oh gosh.  Poor Olga!