Author Topic: Mall Santa Sends Away Girl With Service Dog  (Read 170 times)

Offline responsiblek9

• Mood: Okay
  • SDC interest: SD partner
Mall Santa Sends Away Girl With Service Dog
« on: November 24, 2017, 10:56:39 PM »
http://boston.cbslocal.com/2017/11/24/mall-santa-sends-away-girl-service-dog/

Mall Santa Sends Away Girl With Service Dog
November 24, 2017 11:36 PM
NASHUA, New Hampshire (CBS) A holiday festivity was ruined for one New Hampshire family after a mall Santa denied a special needs girl because of her service dog.
A thousand miles you walked with me ,
 Through the fields and streams
  Down many a lonely place, On darkened  paths and streets

Offline Kirsten

• Administrator
  • Have a flufftastic day!
  • SDC interest: owner-trainer
Re: Mall Santa Sends Away Girl With Service Dog
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2017, 11:28:42 PM »
Dog is wearing a SDWR patch.
Kirsten and Tardis
In loving memory of Cole (1/11/99 - 6/26/12)  He gave me back my life.

"The one absolute, unselfish friend that man can have in this selfish world -- the one that never proves ungrateful or treacherous -- is his dog." -George G. Vest

Offline Candy3

• Loquacious Member
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2017, 11:41:35 PM »
Santa is allergic to dogs. Does that mean that, if he gets near a dog, he could have an allergic reaction that could ruin the experience for all the other kids? I thought that dog and cat allergies had more to do with inhaling, than touching.

Offline SandyStern

• Official Welcomer
  • Mood: Happy
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2017, 06:35:28 AM »
There are some medical conditions that should be taken into consideration before accepting employment. If Santa had allergies that would be so exacerbated by having a dog near him, then he shouldn't have done the job.  I doubt that he needed the income to survive, anyway, but the whole job is to have kids in your lap.  Lots of kids are going to be covered in dog dander even without the dog. I was looking at one of my wool coats yesterday and thinking I could provoke asthma by sitting next to someone.

Frankly, I think people lie about allergies. If my experience is representative, 70% of Uber drivers are at death's door from allergy-triggered asthma. Too bad for them. I give big tips.

Offline Ariel

• Scruffmaster Extraordinaire
  • Old Timer
  • Mood: Cynical
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2017, 09:28:55 AM »
If Santa had allergies that would be so exacerbated by having a dog near him, then he shouldn't have done the job.

I agree, but I don't know that even a genuinely severely allergic Santa would consider that a person may have a service dog, and I don't know that the employer would have made it very clear that a child or parent may have a service dog and he'd need to sit through it anyway as a job requirement. This is not to say it's ok, but I do genuinely doubt all mall Santas are well educated about service dogs by their employer prior to beginning.
Jubilee - Service Dog - German Wirehaired Pointer
Jubi's FB page!
In Loving Memory of Service Dog Saxon (6/5/13-12/2/15)

Offline ZombieFodder

• Certified Zombie Hunter
  • Official Welcomer
  • "Probably just a fever"
  • Mood: Weird
  • SDC interest: curious
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2017, 10:48:05 AM »
No one has ever said I may come into contact with animals during a job interview. I mean I guess the majority of people are aware of "seeing eye dogs", but I doubt most people are thinking of animals when they accept a job in a mall. I don't understand why they couldn't just let the dog sit off to the side with the parents to just make it work. Then everyone is happy.

Uber states to potential employees (I guess they are contractors technically) about the possibility of encountering working dogs. They also may encounter wheelchairs although they can turn those down if it doesn't work.

I'm sure plenty of people say they have an allergy to avoid dealing with a dog. Although there really are people out there who suffer significantly. The people I know who have asthma caused by allergies its always been cats. It really can turn into an emergency. I'm not sure if dogs cause that type of reaction commonly. I never encountered someone who had a serious allergy to dogs over the 20 years I had them. I tended to move if someone said they were allergic or they would move if I was already there 1st. In this Santa situation I would have given the dog to a family member to wait, but that is just me and I don't have seizures.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2017, 10:49:36 AM by ZombieFodder »
THE HARDEST PART OF A ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE
          will be pretending I'm not excited

Offline Moonsong

• Dog Training Student
  • Old Timer
  • My SD is my Super (hero) Dog
  • Mood: Sad
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2017, 11:31:56 AM »
Even if Santa wasn't aware of service dogs (which I agree he probably wasn't), if he's severely allergic enough to warrant an exception to the ADA then I doubt that he isn't aware of issues like dog dander on children's clothing.

I am mildly allergic to cats. Mild. I change whatever clothes I was wearing when I interact with cats because I know that the hair will stick to it and cause me issues later. I also shower after being in direct contact with cats to get hair and dander off of my skin and out of my hair. I did this even back before I had developed the allergy because my mom and brother have always been allergic. So even when it didn't effect me directly, I was aware that hair/dander is carried on clothing and even skin and human hair (and this was back when I was a little kid, at that. Like, elementary school young).

If Santa was sooo allergic that the dog couldn't even sit and wait on the red carpet, several feet away, he would likely have been aware of how dander and hair sticks to the clothing of pet owners. I mean...maybe he truly wasn't aware of that, but I doubt it. I think it's much more likely that they used allergies as an excuse so that he wouldn't have to deal with the dog.

Edit to add: but maybe I'm just feeling extra cynical today. I'm also not entirely sure how the ADA applies to mall Santa photo shoots.
Max - shih tzu/poodle- SDiT  Max's Facebook Page
Kirby - Pied Cockatiel - official bird of SDC
My YouTube channel (I love receiving feedback on my training methods!)

Offline ZombieFodder

• Certified Zombie Hunter
  • Official Welcomer
  • "Probably just a fever"
  • Mood: Weird
  • SDC interest: curious
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2017, 11:55:37 AM »
Yeah the only people I've known with severe animal allergies it always seems to be cats. Cats can send people to emergency rooms. Not sure why its so different with dogs as I never met anyone with that level of allergy to dogs. Although direct contact or close proximity seems to be much worse than dander. At least for the people I've known who are allergic to cats. I think the easy compromise could have just been a dog stays off to the side. Employers definitely don't mention animals unless it is commonly part of the job. But if you take your cashier job and then you happen to meet an unexpected dog you can hopefully just ask another employee to deal with it unless you are solo. Then you sort of need to work around it. I commonly ran into this issue when the dog paid for something. Multiple people would not do it and I'm pretty sure their employer didn't mention they may have to accept payment from a dog. Normally the answer was to have an employee come around and take the money and goods from me or another employee would handle it with the dog. Then everyone stopped building 20 foot tall counters and the issue largely went away as I could reach it.
THE HARDEST PART OF A ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE
          will be pretending I'm not excited