Author Topic: Considering Puppy Raising Someday  (Read 127 times)

Online Moonsong

• Dog Training Student
  • Old Timer
  • My SD is my Super (hero) Dog
  • Mood: Sad
  • SDC interest: owner-trainer
Considering Puppy Raising Someday
« on: November 23, 2017, 08:22:56 PM »
As part of my dog training education, I thought that I should learn the best ways to socialize and train young puppies. I'm currently auditing a puppy obedience class, but it doesn't cover socialization/habituation. I thought, where better to learn it from than a well established program that's got puppy raising down almost to a science?

I just don't know if I can actually do it. Raise a dog for so long and then give them up, I mean. I get too attached. Is it possible to be involved in puppy raising, like being a puppy raiser's assistant or shadowing them or something, without actually raising the puppy yourself? Although...maybe the hands-on experience of actually living with the puppy would be better educational-wise. Any tips for dealing with having to eventually give the dog up if I were to full-on puppy raise?

How do I find and get into contact with a good program near me? And also, I want to do this so that I can learn to raise puppies for my future career as a dog trainer. Is it wrong to do it this way? I feel like I might just be using them for my own personal gain. That's certainly not my intention, but is that what's basically happening? Would they want to (for lack of a better word) hire me, considering that that's my end goal?

I wouldn't be able to puppy raise anytime soon. It'd probably be years off when I'm living on my own and financially stable enough. But I couldn't help wanting to learn about it now. Although, if I were to shadow or assist or something, I could do that much, much sooner. Then maybe full-on puppy raise later down the road.

Any information, advice, tips, answers, etc are appreciated.
Max - shih tzu/poodle- SDiT  Max's Facebook Page
Kirby - Pied Cockatiel - official bird of SDC
My YouTube channel (I love receiving feedback on my training methods!)

Offline Solace

• Mood: Tired
Re: Considering Puppy Raising Someday
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2017, 08:37:17 PM »
Programs need weekend people and babysitting people.  That sounds like a great place for you to start.

Offline Punktestern

• Loquacious Member
  • The amazing bouncing ferret!
  • Mood: Vulcans have no moods
  • SDC interest: curious
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2017, 09:58:03 PM »
You could start by just attending club meetings near you, if you wanted to. That'd get you some experience, you could watch the training sessions and maybe club outings, depending on how the program does things.

And then some programs do have puppy sitters, which are the people who just take puppies for anywhere from an hour to a few days, for whatever reason. I know ours usually got Cambrie when I had big animal labs or had to travel for interviews and such, stuff where she couldn't come along.

One thing to consider, though, is that some programs may not be happy with the idea of you working their pup alongside another dog, so you might have to choose between working Max or taking whatever puppy on an outing.
Canine Welfare/Training Technician - Guide Dogs for the Blind
Cambrie - Yellow Lab Female - Guide Dogs for the Blind - Completed Phase 8 of 8 - Waiting for a Match!
PM me for Holiday Cards!

Offline Punktestern

• Loquacious Member
  • The amazing bouncing ferret!
  • Mood: Vulcans have no moods
  • SDC interest: curious
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2017, 10:13:31 PM »
Here's a program specifically in Arizona (I don't remember exactly where you are, sorry!) that has puppy sitters: https://azpowerpaws.org/volunteer/ You could look into their program and see if it's something you can do, or even just ask to sit in on some of the training sessions before you commit. It might be nice to have the organization close by, then you can get a real feel for how the whole thing runs.

CCI has a chapter in Arizona with puppy raisers - They might also be a resource for you: http://www.cci.org/locations/southwest/valley-of-the-sun-chapter/

GDB has a few listed as being in that area, Tucson ( https://gdbtucson.blogspot.com/ ) and East Valley ( https://www.facebook.com/pg/4-Paws-Leading-the-Way-Guide-Dog-Raisers-of-Arizona-1470828122937281/about/?ref=page_internal ) if either of those is relevant to you.

I'm listing these links for your ease of google searching only. I make no comment about any of them, you know what my affiliation is but it is not my intent to sway you one way or the other. I've given them only a cursory glance to make sure they're in Arizona, not much else. :- )
Canine Welfare/Training Technician - Guide Dogs for the Blind
Cambrie - Yellow Lab Female - Guide Dogs for the Blind - Completed Phase 8 of 8 - Waiting for a Match!
PM me for Holiday Cards!

Online Moonsong

• Dog Training Student
  • Old Timer
  • My SD is my Super (hero) Dog
  • Mood: Sad
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2017, 10:42:29 PM »
Sitting and weekend work isn't something I can do yet, either. Parents and brother are allergic to shedding dogs. So that's why I'd have to wait until I moved out. That, and we already have three dogs and a bird, with possibly a fourth dog (and a big one at that) if Max washes and my parents allow me to get a program dog.

I could probably take the puppy by itself on outings. I'd actually probably prefer that to having to manage two dogs at a time :tongue:. It depends on current circumstances and where we'd have to go, is all. Like right now my personal public access is extremely limited due to a mixture of a seasonal increase in PTSD triggers and just a general flare-up of PTSD. So it'd be tough taking a pup out in public at the moment. But during the rest of the year I would likely be able to.

Thanks for the links and input, Punk! :smile:
Max - shih tzu/poodle- SDiT  Max's Facebook Page
Kirby - Pied Cockatiel - official bird of SDC
My YouTube channel (I love receiving feedback on my training methods!)