Author Topic: UK/ Attacks on guide dogs reach record high  (Read 159 times)

Offline responsiblek9

• Mood: Okay
  • SDC interest: SD partner
UK/ Attacks on guide dogs reach record high
« on: November 19, 2017, 07:39:48 PM »
http://www.itv.com/news/anglia/2017-11-01/attacks-on-guide-dogs-reach-record-high/

November 2017 at 6:08pm
Attacks on guide dogs reach record high

Attacks on guide dogs - by other dogs - are at an all-time high in this region.

In the last 11 months alone, there have been 148 incidents across the country - including six in the East.

It has prompted a plea from guide dog owners for others to keep proper control over the pets.
A thousand miles you walked with me ,
 Through the fields and streams
  Down many a lonely place, On darkened  paths and streets

Offline Kirsten

• Administrator
  • Have a flufftastic day!
  • SDC interest: owner-trainer
Re: UK/ Attacks on guide dogs reach record high
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2017, 08:11:35 PM »
I wonder why they report that attacks are up but no one seems to be investigating why that is.
Kirsten and Tardis
In loving memory of Cole (1/11/99 - 6/26/12)  He gave me back my life.

"The one absolute, unselfish friend that man can have in this selfish world -- the one that never proves ungrateful or treacherous -- is his dog." -George G. Vest

Online SandyStern

• Official Welcomer
  • Mood: Happy
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2017, 08:18:19 PM »
Right. News outlets are desperate for content; reporters are not doing as much work to clarify and explain, let alone investigate.  My guess as to the reason for the increase is that more dogs are being kept as pets, and the British, once famed for well behaved dogs, are starting to act more like Americans, taking ill-mannered pets everywhere and failing to control them.

Offline responsiblek9

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2017, 07:00:25 PM »
One gal in the article mentioned being attacked by street dogs. Made me go and look up what country she was in because I did not figure the UK would have street dogs running loose like that. But indeed was the case. Seems like I am hearing more cases of dogs at large attacking service/guide dogs in the UK than say 15 years ago.
A thousand miles you walked with me ,
 Through the fields and streams
  Down many a lonely place, On darkened  paths and streets

Offline Arrowcom

• Loquacious Member
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2017, 07:28:39 PM »
I can definitely relate. It's so scary to hear a dog bark or growl and not be sure where it is or if it has moved or if it's running towards you. Small dogs are nightmares because they run all around you and your dog's feet and you can't just punt them away like so many talk about if you can't see them. They nip at your dogs nose and tail and paws and because they're little their owners rarely come to help out. Ugh. People need to learn how to handle their dogs.
Accept the things you can not change, have the courage to change the things you can, and have the wisdom to know the difference.

Offline Kirsten

• Administrator
  • Have a flufftastic day!
  • SDC interest: owner-trainer
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2017, 11:34:48 PM »
Arrow, that's when you whip out the stun gun and start zapping it.  The sound alone may run off the pint sized villains or it may put enough fear into their owners to come and collect them.

Okay, I'm being cynical.  I'm just so fed up with other people inflicting their dog's behavior on me and not doing anything about it.  (ie neighbor's dogs). It's made me less tolerant and patient and a lot more reactive and hostile.
Kirsten and Tardis
In loving memory of Cole (1/11/99 - 6/26/12)  He gave me back my life.

"The one absolute, unselfish friend that man can have in this selfish world -- the one that never proves ungrateful or treacherous -- is his dog." -George G. Vest

Offline Arrowcom

• Loquacious Member
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2017, 11:38:11 PM »
Arrow, that's when you whip out the stun gun and start zapping it.  The sound alone may run off the pint sized villains or it may put enough fear into their owners to come and collect them.

I have pepper spray, but I'm considering upgrading!
Accept the things you can not change, have the courage to change the things you can, and have the wisdom to know the difference.