Author Topic: New Haven police detective using dog claims disability discrimination  (Read 79 times)

Offline responsiblek9

• Mood: Okay
  • SDC interest: SD partner
http://www.nhregister.com/news/article/New-Haven-police-detective-using-dog-claims-12367315.php
New Haven police detective using dog claims disability discrimination
 November 17, 2017

department’s drug coordinator, a job he does by himself involving handling drug evidence. According to the complaint, McFarland applied for a service dog through an organization called Dogs for Deaf and Disabled Americans and after a “significant” wait, he received a 20-month-old Golden Retriever named Hobbs.
The department had raised concerns over McFarland’s handling of evidence while Hobbs was assisting him, according to Duprey’s memo. The memo included several stipulations, including keeping Hobbs 5 feet away from all drug evidence and directing the canine to wait outside the room while McFarland retrieved drug evidence.

A thousand miles you walked with me ,
 Through the fields and streams
  Down many a lonely place, On darkened  paths and streets

Offline Kirsten

• Administrator
  • Have a flufftastic day!
  • Mood: Okay
  • SDC interest: owner-trainer
Re: New Haven police detective using dog claims disability discrimination
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2017, 11:37:55 PM »
It all depends on how this evidence is collected and what evidence is collected.  I mean if it's the sort of evidence collection where he has to use gloves and protective clothing to avoid contaminating the scene with fingerprints, body fluids such as saliva or blood, hairs, various types of particulate materials, then yeah, I can definitely see them wanting to keep the dog a certain distance away from evidence and out of the room while it is being collected.

If it's go in and find the bag of cocaine and photograph it in situ before bagging and tagging and they aren't interested in trace evidence then it's no worse than a drug dog being used to find it in the first place.
Kirsten and Tardis
In loving memory of Cole (1/11/99 - 6/26/12)  He gave me back my life.

"The one absolute, unselfish friend that man can have in this selfish world -- the one that never proves ungrateful or treacherous -- is his dog." -George G. Vest