Author Topic: UK / Blind man with a guide dog claims he was forced to sit on the FLOOR of a Vi  (Read 163 times)

Offline responsiblek9

• Mood: Okay
  • SDC interest: SD partner
https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/4936370/blind-man-guide-dog-told-to-sit-virgin-train-floor/

'IT'S A JOKE' Blind man with a guide dog claims he was forced to sit on the FLOOR of a Virgin train by conductor and ignored by heartless passengers

"Passengers were ignoring me, happy-as-larry. You just get used to it. It shows the ignorance that's about towards disabled people.
It's a joke. It happens regularly. Iíve had to sit on the floor before. Iím used to it.

A thousand miles you walked with me ,
 Through the fields and streams
  Down many a lonely place, On darkened  paths and streets

Offline responsiblek9

http://www.deadlinenews.co.uk/2017/11/17/shocking-picture-shows-blind-man-forced-sit-train-floor-passengers-took-disabled-seats/

Shocking picture shows blind man forced to sit on train floor ďafter passengers took disabled seatsĒ

On his return trip, this time with London Midland, he was again unable to find an available disabled seat because they were occupied by able-bodied passengers.

He used a regular seat meaning Nevin had to sit in the aisle resulting in complaints from other passengers.

A thousand miles you walked with me ,
 Through the fields and streams
  Down many a lonely place, On darkened  paths and streets

Offline SandyStern

• Official Welcomer
  • Mood: Happy
Has anyone figured out a good way to ask the person sitting in the accessible seating if they need it?  I HATE this. I get on a city bus of a subway and every seat is taken.  I make my way to the accessible seating, ("Please give up this seat if an elderly or handicapped person needs it," says the sign) and there is a person without visible disability, behind a newspaper or engrossed in a phone.  Maybe he has a terrible back injury. Or TBI and bad balance. I don't know, and I never ask. I have been known to stand near them and hope they look up and notice.

I can't think of a better way to handle this. I wouldn't want the transportation authority to issue badges, for crying out loud.

Offline ccunnin3

• Little Win Guru
  • Old Timer
  • Nicer Once You Get To Know Her
I'd ask "are you using the accessibiity features of this seat?" It doesn't ask about disability or why they need the seat. It also doesn't assume if someone does or does not have a disability.
Caitlin and AIRLIE
My Blog

Offline Solace

• Mood: Tired
  • SDC interest: owner-trainer
I looked up Richard Branson because he was mentioned in the article.  He is a British business magnate.  He also has oddly orange hair.  He is Britain's Trump.

Offline Arrowcom

• Loquacious Member
If I don't get a seat, I just stand there with CIndi in a down behind me. If it was a long ride, I guess I might sit down next to her. Whatever, I get cuddles with my pup. She's warm and fluffy.

But really, I am a bit shy and am obviously disabled. I assume people can see me when I come in and ask Cindi to find me a seat. And if she can't find one and no one gives it up, I just stand and pretend like I'm riding a roller coaster.  :biggrin:

I understand why this would upset some people, but I don't really mind too much as long as my dog is safe.
Accept the things you can not change, have the courage to change the things you can, and have the wisdom to know the difference.

Offline Kirsten

• Administrator
  • Have a flufftastic day!
He's not reviled the way Trump is, and he's probably not the villian in this situation.  I have the same problem on our city bus that is not owned by a billionaire. 

I've flat out asked people to move and let me have the seat designated for the elderly and disabled and I've gotten up and given my seat to an elderly person when no one capable of riding the bus standing will surrender their seat to someone who obviously can't.  I don't have the balance or stability to ride standing up any more, but I'll do it before I'll watch a senior citizen fall and break a hip which is pretty much a death sentence to them.  So long as I don't land on my head I'm going to survive a fall, even if I break something.

The problem is Gen X are more self-centered and entitled than previous generations.  :2cents:
Kirsten and Tardis
In loving memory of Cole (1/11/99 - 6/26/12)  He gave me back my life.

"The one absolute, unselfish friend that man can have in this selfish world -- the one that never proves ungrateful or treacherous -- is his dog." -George G. Vest

Offline SandyStern

• Official Welcomer
You know, Kirsten? I think that's right.  I should just say, "Would you mind letting me have that seat since I have a hard time standing?"  That balances the equation. I mention my own disability, and I'll apologize if the person says, "Sorry, I can't stand either." 

Offline Kirsten

• Administrator
  • Have a flufftastic day!
They don't always yield, even if you ask.  I got into an argument with one woman who was taking up three seats in the designated area because her stroller had a broken wheel.  I needed the wheel chair seat because there was empty space under it where my dog would fit and not be in the aisle.  She wanted all three of them because it created a convenient corner for putting her stroller that she didn't want to fold up or deal with because it was broken.  Fortunately I got the bus driver to intervene but I'm not always that lucky.

To my way of thinking, I'm entitled to those wheel chair seats over anyone but a wheel chair user because there is no other seat on the bus where my dog will fit well.  These are the two sets of three seats on each side of the bus at the front that fold up to make room for wheel chairs.  Because they fold up and the floor under is clear for wheel chairs, the space under them is roomy and clear for a large dog.  Naturally I will always yield those seats to an actual wheel chair user since that's the only place where their chair can be secured, but it may mean part of my dog is in the aisle and people are going to have to step over or around him. 
Kirsten and Tardis
In loving memory of Cole (1/11/99 - 6/26/12)  He gave me back my life.

"The one absolute, unselfish friend that man can have in this selfish world -- the one that never proves ungrateful or treacherous -- is his dog." -George G. Vest