Author Topic: AU/ Complaints of three attacks by dog living on US embassy property  (Read 119 times)

Offline responsiblek9

• Mood: Okay
  • SDC interest: SD partner
https://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/national/act/complaints-of-three-attacks-by-dog-living-on-us-embassy-property-20171114-gzko56.html

Stirling dog attack victim Livia Auer, pictured with her service dog Pepper, is disappointed that the dog owners are claiming diplomatic immunity.

A thousand miles you walked with me ,
 Through the fields and streams
  Down many a lonely place, On darkened  paths and streets

Offline SandyStern

• Official Welcomer
  • Mood: Happy
Re: AU/ Complaints of three attacks by dog living on US embassy property
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2017, 12:43:40 PM »
Boo, hiss.
Terrible behavior on the part of the humans.My dad was in the foreign service and I was never allowed to forget that we were guests in other countries. My parents made it clear that if I behaved badly, reflecting poorly on the United States, I would probably be left by the side of a road in a third-world country.

Offline Kirsten

• Administrator
  • Have a flufftastic day!
  • SDC interest: owner-trainer
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2017, 01:32:36 PM »
I'm thinking one cannot claim diplomatic immunity for a dog and that the dog can be deported regardless of whether it is claimed as a service dog or emotional support dog for conduct unbecoming.  A human diplomat would be expelled or recalled for assault on a citizen.
Kirsten and Tardis
In loving memory of Cole (1/11/99 - 6/26/12)  He gave me back my life.

"The one absolute, unselfish friend that man can have in this selfish world -- the one that never proves ungrateful or treacherous -- is his dog." -George G. Vest

Offline ccunnin3

• Little Win Guru
  • Old Timer
  • Nicer Once You Get To Know Her
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2017, 01:52:04 PM »
I'm not sure diplomatic immumity works on dogs. But I guess it covers the owner since dogs are technically property. If I regularly hit and run people with my car I am covered by diplomatic immumity and no one can take away the car.

(Not that this person shouod be covered. This is embaressing to me as a US citizen).
Caitlin and AIRLIE
My Blog

Offline Kirsten

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2017, 02:17:33 PM »
If you keep assaulting people they can expel you from the country or you could (should) be recalled by your own country.

Why does diplomatic immunity exist?  How does it work?  It's there to keep that diplomat on mission.  If the diplomat is in route to a meeting necessary to their mission and they get arrested for speeding or illegal parking, that disrupts the mission.  That's what it is intended for, to protect them from arrest and detention while in the service of their country's mission.  But if their pet dogs keep getting loose and attacking people, it does not interfere with the diplomat performing the functions of his job to tell him the dogs have to be returned to the US.  It wasn't very long ago that they wouldn't have been allowed in the country in the first place because GSDs were a banned breed in Australia until recently.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diplomatic_immunity
Kirsten and Tardis

"The one absolute, unselfish friend that man can have in this selfish world -- the one that never proves ungrateful or treacherous -- is his dog." -George G. Vest

Offline responsiblek9

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2017, 11:28:32 PM »
 :thankyou2: :score: :score: :rocket: :happydance: :happydance:

https://www.stuff.co.nz/world/australia/99469463/us-embassys-dogs-deported-from-australia
US embassy's dogs deported from Australia
Stuff.co.nz-Dec 1, 2017
Canberra's Livia Auer pictured with her assistance dog, Peppa was attacked in October by one of the dogs, and believes diplomatic considerations have ... Two dogs living on a property owned by the US embassy in Australia's capital will be deported after attacking two more people, the latest in a string of attacks linked ...
« Last Edit: December 08, 2017, 11:33:54 PM by responsiblek9 »
A thousand miles you walked with me ,
 Through the fields and streams
  Down many a lonely place, On darkened  paths and streets

Offline Kirsten

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2017, 01:00:08 AM »
Good news!

Sadly GSDs do not have a good reputation in Australia and were banned until recently because they were considered too wolf-like and a danger to wildlife and the ecosystem if they were to go feral.  Not actuallly true, but that is a widely held belief.
Kirsten and Tardis

Offline SandyStern

• Official Welcomer
  • Mood: Happy
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2017, 07:08:22 AM »
As a former foreign service brat, I applaud this decision.
Can the reputation of the USA get any worse in the international community?
I received a photo of a sign outside a London pub: "No Americans permitted unless accompanied by an adult."