Author Topic: Woman says she was bitten by emotional support dog in JetBlue check-in line  (Read 316 times)

Offline responsiblek9

• Mood: Okay
  • SDC interest: SD partner
Updated: 4:01 AM PST Nov 14, 2017

http://www.ksbw.com/article/woman-says-she-was-bitten-by-emotional-support-dog-in-jetblue-check-in-line/13562206?utm_campaign=KSBW&utm_content=5a0b874204d3012b321dc717&utm_medium=facebook&utm_source=trueAnthem%3A%20New%20Content

Even though passengers traveling with emotional support dogs have to check them in, no proof of vaccinations is needed for domestic flights. Langlois said she starts her rabies shots Tuesday.

A thousand miles you walked with me ,
 Through the fields and streams
  Down many a lonely place, On darkened  paths and streets

Offline responsiblek9

Online OlgatheGSD

• Loquacious Member
  • Michelle and Olga
  • Mood: Brain fog
  • SDC interest: owner-trainer
How is it not a police problem that she was bitten? No one at TSA remembers a woman with a pitbull or even has it on camera?

I feel so bad for that woman. I wouldn't wish rabies shots on my worst enemy.
Potato quality human with a smarter-than-you-honor-student dog.

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Olga-the-GSD-1632466706793262/

Offline Ariel

• Scruffmaster Extraordinaire
  • Old Timer
  • Mood: Cynical
It's stuff like this that will result in the eventual banning of ESAs loose in cabin on airplanes. There are people who genuinely do benefit from well-behaved and well-adjusted ESAs and it sucks for them.
Jubilee - Service Dog - German Wirehaired Pointer
Jubi's FB page!
In Loving Memory of Service Dog Saxon (6/5/13-12/2/15)

Offline Arrowcom

• Loquacious Member
  • Mood: Happy
I always wondered why it isn't a requirement that people couldn't just get a CGC test to show at check in with an ESA. They have to show a note anyhow. That would be proof enough of training without disclosing a disability. I mean, there has to be something that can be done to stop people from getting hurt.
Accept the things you can not change, have the courage to change the things you can, and have the wisdom to know the difference.

Offline Solace

• Mood: Tired
How is it not a police problem that she was bitten? No one at TSA remembers a woman with a pitbull or even has it on camera?

I feel so bad for that woman. I wouldn't wish rabies shots on my worst enemy.

They're not as bad as they used to be.  I got them after being bit in Mexico.  They're just normal shots now.  I think the first visit was immunoglobulin in one arm and the rabies vaccine in the other (well, it was like 4 am or something and that did suck).  After that I think it was just one shot at a time over a few doctor visits.

The video in the second link... that's a nasty bruise and set of holes... ouch!
« Last Edit: November 15, 2017, 09:50:45 PM by Solace »

Offline responsiblek9

http://start.att.net/news/read/article/fox_news-jetblue_passenger_bit_by_dog_at_orlando_airport_sa-rfoxnews/category/news#.WgnpPJhb3IU.facebook

no luck tracking down the animalís owner after JetBlue employees scuttled the other passenger from the line ó leaving Langlois uncertain of whether or not to seek treatment for rabies.

Online OlgatheGSD

• Loquacious Member
  • Michelle and Olga
  • Mood: Brain fog
Requiring basket muzzles would be a super effective fix, too. Easy to spot (enforce), and it would prevent bites nearly completely. You'll always have the people who will put on a poorly fitting one or take it off mid flight, but at least it would be easy to implement. I'd stress basket muzzles heavily so you don't get idiots showing up with clamp style muzzles.

Oh that doesn't sound too bad then. Still sucks, but not bad.
Potato quality human with a smarter-than-you-honor-student dog.

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Olga-the-GSD-1632466706793262/

Offline responsiblek9

http://www.fox25boston.com/news/woman-claims-she-was-bitten-by-dog-while-boarding-jetblue-flight/646301767

Nov 13, 2017 - 8:13 PM

"She's like, 'there's nothing we can do, we can cover your medical bills but that's about it,' and then she provided me with a $50 voucher. Like, I don't know if I'm ever going to fly again," Langlois said about the response she got from JetBlue's customer service representative.

Offline Azariah

• Old Timer
  • Mood: Tired
A CGC test isn't going to cut it. I watched a dog get her companion dog title at a show this weekend. That is far harder than a CGC. And one steward spent her entire day separating people and dogs from this dog. Every time anyone walked near the dog it lunged and growled. The owner held it back but it is proof to me that an obed title does not equal good in public. I literally would not have let my dog go in a sit line up if it had been in the same class. I would have chosen to fail and pulled my dog. Another gal almost did. 
Invisible physical and mental disabilities.
Advanced experience training obedience dogs. Very new to training service dogs.
Current Samoyeds: Rio (11), Cosmo (3), Serenity (SDiT)

Offline Ariel

• Old Timer
Re: Woman says she was bitten by emotional support dog in JetBlue check-in line
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2017, 11:27:37 PM »
A CGC test isn't going to cut it.

Agreed. I know of a dog and human aggressive dog that is very well trained and the owner spends a lot of time managing. She trained the dog to focus on her while passing other non-reactive dogs (neutral) and to accept the types of examination you'd get in a CGC or CD. I know the dog has his CGC. I don't believe she's done further obedience with him formally, but that just goes to show that a dog doesn't necessarily have to be safe to be around. All it would take would be for a child to touch that dog's butt before he'd be trying to kill the kid.

For the record - I don't agree with testing these types of situations. I personally think dogs with the severity of aggression towards both dogs and people especially should be euthanized for everyone's safety, but my personal feelings do not carry over into what others can and should do with their own dogs in their own situation.
Jubi's FB page!

Offline responsiblek9

« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2017, 12:30:26 AM »
Service and emotional support animals on JetBlue flights
Guidelines/requirements - service animals on JetBlue

mobile.jetblue.com/mt/help.jetblue.com/SRVS/CGI-BIN/webcgi.exe?New,Kb=askBlue,case=obj(1095) paste in this if the below link goes awry.

http://mobile.jetblue.com/mt/help.jetblue.com/SRVS/CGI-BIN/webcgi.exe?New,Kb=askBlue,case=obj(1095)

Quote from site
 "Currently there are no vaccination requirements for service animals on domestic flights."
« Last Edit: November 16, 2017, 12:38:59 AM by responsiblek9 »

Offline Arrowcom

• Loquacious Member
  • Mood: Happy
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2017, 11:07:08 PM »
Oh wow! I thought a CGC tasted basic socialization and behavior around unfamiliar dogs and people as well as basic obedience. I can't believe a dog could pass the test with serious aggression!
Accept the things you can not change, have the courage to change the things you can, and have the wisdom to know the difference.

Offline Ariel

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2017, 11:10:43 PM »
Oh wow! I thought a CGC tasted basic socialization and behavior around unfamiliar dogs and people as well as basic obedience. I can't believe a dog could pass the test with serious aggression!

It does. That doesn't mean a dog can't be trained to tolerate very specific artificial set ups, such as sitting to be pet gently and briefly by a dog savvy stranger and passing by a neutral dog who has no interest in causing trouble.
Jubi's FB page!

Offline KellyColleen

• Newly arrived
  • SDC interest: waiting
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2017, 05:16:50 PM »
I feel so bad for this woman.

At our international airport we have police everywhere who would come to this woman's aid.

This should definitely be a police matter.