Author Topic: Families pay thousands for service dogs they say misbehave in public  (Read 171 times)

Offline responsiblek9

• Mood: Okay
  • SDC interest: SD partner
http://www.wusa9.com/life/animals/service-dog/families-pay-thousands-for-service-dogs-they-say-misbehave-in-public/490556464
Families pay thousands for service dogs they say misbehave in public

WUSA9 has learned of serious allegations of improper training in connection with a Las Vegas-based service dog business that shipped several animals to our area.

Andrea McCarren, WUSA 11:49 PM. EST November 13, 2017
A thousand miles you walked with me ,
 Through the fields and streams
  Down many a lonely place, On darkened  paths and streets

Offline OlgatheGSD

• Loquacious Member
  • Michelle and Olga
  • Mood: Brain fog
  • SDC interest: owner-trainer
Re: Families pay thousands for service dogs they say misbehave in public
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2017, 09:25:04 PM »
WOW that is bad!!! The ESA's and pets we've had problems with in public suddenly look like soft little cuddle monsters.

That guy sounded so fake. "I think I'm one of the best dog trainers in the country". So why aren't you refunding people?
Potato quality human with a smarter-than-you-honor-student dog.

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Olga-the-GSD-1632466706793262/

Offline RedSonia29

• No. We're not going for a ride....
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2017, 09:32:53 PM »
Yeah, there are several companies specializing in Diabetic Alert Dogs that those of us "in the know" generally avoid. We don't discuss them publicly because a few of them are quite litigious. I'll only discuss via PM. I believe that's the policy on SDC, as well.
In loving memory of Clive (CLASS, CGC, Diabetic Alert Dog). You saved my life countless times just by using your heart, nose, and your fat pit bull head. Our time together was too short and I miss you every day. 12/21/11 - 11/19/2016

Bowie's Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/BowietheDAD/

Online Kirsten

• Administrator
  • Have a flufftastic day!
  • SDC interest: owner-trainer
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2017, 10:09:34 PM »
We have a policy that includes trying to connect people with members who have first hand experience with specific programs for private discussion.  So you could say in your signature that you have a dog from Acme Service Dogs and are willing to field PMs concerning your experiences with that program.
Kirsten and Tardis
In loving memory of Cole (1/11/99 - 6/26/12)  He gave me back my life.

"The one absolute, unselfish friend that man can have in this selfish world -- the one that never proves ungrateful or treacherous -- is his dog." -George G. Vest

Offline SandyStern

• Official Welcomer
  • Mood: Happy
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2017, 07:30:24 AM »
The fact that these people would fork over money without testing out the dog just goes to show the measure of desperation they feel, and also the deeply ingrained and completely erroneous belief that dogs have magical abilities.  Dogs can smell things we can't, and since they don't understand conversational English, they can be more accurate about reading "tells" about how we are really feeling. In his book "The Gift of Fear," Gavin de Becker wrote that we know more than we think we do. He commented that people will tell him their dogs are good judges of character; a woman said she did not hire a contractor because her dog growled at him, and later she learned that he had defrauded homeowners.  de Becker told her that she probably picked up on aspects of the man that raised her suspicions, and by her own subtle behaviors let her dog know that she did not trust the man, hence the growl. We all know that the growl could have been caused by a host of different things, but I think we can all agree that the dog did not possess the ability to detect the intent to defraud.

And I'm really troubled by the comment about fundraising-- some of those defrauded are afraid to speak up because they solicited donations to help cover the cost of the dog.  I would like to see an alternate form of accreditation for training programs (because ADI is not responding to changes in the industry) followed by state law requiring accreditation for any person or program that supplies a service dog. Consultants and private trainers are different. When an organization solicits donations and charges more than a nominal fee to supply a dog, they've got to be accountable.

Offline RedSonia29

• No. We're not going for a ride....
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2017, 09:38:05 AM »
One of my dear friends went through an [unnamed] organization for her first diabetic alert dog. They fundraised and paid the full amount for the promised dog, which was never delivered. As I understand it, owners of the organization found out that her family were active in the show (conformance), obedience, and rally circuits, so they are experienced dog trainers and handlers. They had only one pet dog at home, which was included in the application (and not forbidden by contract), but they show or trial dogs on the owner's behalf.

Because of their dog training and handling experience, the organization refused to send her the dog or refund their money. My friend was initially devastated by that loss, but now has a wonderful Long Coated Retriever named Bruin who was trained under our diabetic alert dog trainer. His Facebook page has several cool videos of Bruin signaling both lows (bow) and high (paw) blood sugars. In the upcoming year, Bowie will start to learn how to do individualized alerts, rather than the "Hey! There's a problem. Check your blood sugar now!" that's he's doing right now.

Bruin's Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/diabetic.alert/
In loving memory of Clive (CLASS, CGC, Diabetic Alert Dog). You saved my life countless times just by using your heart, nose, and your fat pit bull head. Our time together was too short and I miss you every day. 12/21/11 - 11/19/2016

Bowie's Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/BowietheDAD/