Author Topic: Program that pairs service dogs with veterans booted from Fort Belvoir and Walte  (Read 316 times)

Offline responsiblek9

• Mood: Okay
  • SDC interest: SD partner
https://wtop.com/local/2017/11/program-pairs-service-dogs-veterans-booted-ft-belvoir-walter-reed/slide/1/

Program that pairs service dogs with veterans booted from Fort Belvoir and Walter Reed

A program that prepares service dogs for permanent placement with wounded veterans and their families has been booted from Fort Belvoir and Walter Reed without explanation, the program's executive director says.
A thousand miles you walked with me ,
 Through the fields and streams
  Down many a lonely place, On darkened  paths and streets

Offline Kirsten

• Administrator
  • Have a flufftastic day!
  • SDC interest: owner-trainer
Strange to shut them down with just hours notice and no explanation.
Kirsten and Tardis
In loving memory of Cole (1/11/99 - 6/26/12)  He gave me back my life.

"The one absolute, unselfish friend that man can have in this selfish world -- the one that never proves ungrateful or treacherous -- is his dog." -George G. Vest

Offline ZombieFodder

• Certified Zombie Hunter
  • Official Welcomer
  • "Probably just a fever"
  • Mood: Weird
  • SDC interest: curious
Why does it always have to be a negative assumption? It's the government. The reasons could be anything and them not giving an immediate reason wouldn't surprise me either. Because, government.

THE HARDEST PART OF A ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE
          will be pretending I'm not excited

Online OlgatheGSD

• Loquacious Member
  • Michelle and Olga
  • Mood: Brain fog
I'm confused. They were training service dogs to be in a medical center by visiting wounded veterans?

I also wasn't aware that the federal government gave grants to service dog programs. Now I'm wondering who is on the recipient list in my state if there even a program getting grants.
Potato quality human with a smarter-than-you-honor-student dog.

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Olga-the-GSD-1632466706793262/

Offline ZombieFodder

• Official Welcomer
Here, it looks like a contract dispute and is likely a temporary halt to WCC.

https://wtop.com/local/2017/11/popular-therapy-dog-program-walter-reed-contracted-halted-patient-care/slide/1/

Offline Kirsten

• Administrator
  • Have a flufftastic day!
This is a discussion of a news story.  It's not appropriate to bring up "insider" information that others are not privy to and that cannot be cited for review.  Gossip about programs is not appropriate on this forum, whether in the news area or any other.  I've chosen not to waste my meager personal resources supporting gossip at the risk of defamation.  I mean, I get it, I gossip too, but there is a time and place for it and because it puts me in a bad spot against my will in terms of Person X says Program Y is corrupt, incompetent, etc. and I publish it (which, as a forum owner I am automatically a publisher), then I'm exposed for litigation I can't afford to defend.

So the gossip needs to go through private channels, ie in your emails, PMs, or in the chat room and what is said about programs on the forum must be supported with evidence cited so that readers can review that evidence and arrive at their own conclusions.

Side note, not that this happened in this thread, but it is a related policy:  When speaking about human beings by name that speech must be neutral or complementary when the person is not present to respond to accusations or claims with two and only two exceptions:  when quoting a reputable news organizations published story or quoting a court's decision (in both cases with citation).  You can say to someone's face, "I don't think that it's right that you ordered a sandwich in a fast food joint under your dog's name to justify feeding the dog in the middle of the business for the sole purpose of upsetting the business and it's patrons."  That's fine IF the person just said they did just that and you're responding to that post.  Obviously we're open about constructive criticism here, but it has to be fair criticism and if it's behind someone's back it isn't fair and it sure as heck isn't constructive because it's purpose isn't to improve a bad situation.

Just a little side trip into my current moderating queue nightmare.

Yeah, so, I'll need to remove the derrogatory statements about programs without supporting proof (ie gossip) now that I've seen it or I risk becoming a party to defamation.  The chat room is your friend for all your gossip needs.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2017, 02:25:52 PM by Kirsten »
Kirsten and Tardis
In loving memory of Cole (1/11/99 - 6/26/12)  He gave me back my life.

"The one absolute, unselfish friend that man can have in this selfish world -- the one that never proves ungrateful or treacherous -- is his dog." -George G. Vest

Online OlgatheGSD

• Loquacious Member
  • Michelle and Olga
  • Mood: Brain fog
Noted. Sorry, Kirsten.
Potato quality human with a smarter-than-you-honor-student dog.

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Olga-the-GSD-1632466706793262/

Offline ZombieFodder

• Official Welcomer
Thank you I feel much better about the rule that you have for this.

Anyway, contract dispute is what I'm gathering from the article.

Offline SandyStern

• Official Welcomer
  • Mood: Happy
Oops. Mea culpa.

Offline ZombieFodder

• Official Welcomer
Gah, Sandy you are all sorts of cool no biggie.  :poo: happens man and I'm guilty of it too.  :biggrin:

Offline Suse

• Old Timer
At least the first article referred to Service Dogs.  The second article referred to Therapy Dogs unfortunately.

I hope the program gets up and running again.

Offline LolaMarigolda

• Hormonal sarcasm week
  • Old Timer
  • Mood: Evil
At least the first article referred to Service Dogs.  The second article referred to Therapy Dogs unfortunately.

I hope the program gets up and running again.

That is because the program trains both and both are walking the halls and lobbies at WR.
My relationship with my SD is like a marriage.  In fact, my two-legged husband calls Scooter "the other man".
KD & Remington Barrett (Remy)
Scooter (14 February 2004 - 16 September 2015)