Author Topic: Ruled an accident/ Blind Pedestrian Fatally Struck By Train, Guide Dog Survives  (Read 157 times)

Offline responsiblek9

• Mood: Okay
  • SDC interest: SD partner
http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2017/11/07/blind-womans-death-at-rail-crossing-ruled-an-accident/

Blind Pedestrian Fatally Struck By Metra Train In Midlothian, Guide Dog Survives
November 7, 2017 6:24 PM By Dana Kozlov

Metra officials say Kelly Harris was standing too close to the edge of the platform with her dog.  The conductor tried but couldn’t stop.

Harris and her guide dog had been together for about five months.
A thousand miles you walked with me ,
 Through the fields and streams
  Down many a lonely place, On darkened  paths and streets

Online SandyStern

• Official Welcomer
  • Mood: Happy
  • SDC interest: SD partner
Harris and her guide dog had been together for about five months.

“He was a good boy, and he was just having a little trouble getting used to things, so they were having a little more trouble bonding because she wasn’t out every day,” Bobby Harris says.

Horrifying. The program must be wrecked.  It sounds like maybe she hadn't let the program help her get through whatever was causing her to not be "out there every day." I don't know. 

My first thought was that I should be extra nice to the people on the street who think I'm blind and say things like, "Miss, you're standing in front of a high curb," or "It's safe to cross now."  I wonder if anyone saw her and the dog, but felt inhibited to let her know how close she was to the edge.

Offline Ashany

• SDC interest: owner-trainer
This is so sad, my heart breaks for this husband. Reading that she wasn't out everyday with her dog. Reminds me of when I first got my dog. I was practically a shut in when I first got Mila. It was hard for me to trust the process I was going through while training her. I was afraid to go out in public and I was afraid I would have a seizure. That original leap of faith was really hard when I started. Maybe she was experiencing some trust issues. I live in Chicago and ride the trains everywhere. This is a terrible tragedy.

Offline qtrhorse89

• SDC interest: waiting
This is so horribly sad. How awful for everyone involved :sad: