Author Topic: Elbow calluses  (Read 422 times)

Offline SandyStern

• Official Welcomer
  • Mood: Happy
  • SDC interest: SD partner
Elbow calluses
« on: November 05, 2017, 01:54:59 PM »
At what point should I worry and start treating these? You all know the story -- you buy soft warm beds for the winter and cooling gel pads for the summer, and the dog walks past them and hits the wooden or ceramic tiled floor like a bag of bones.  My dog's calluses are not thickened or cracking, but I wondered if I should get on top of it before they get like that. If so, will A&D ointment be adequate, or does he need a specialized canine product?

He also gets what my trainer calls "concrete sores" on his back legs, just below the hocks. I don't understand how they get there since normal walking wouldn't cause that part of the leg to be in contact with the concrete. Maybe it happens from chasing the ball on a concrete patio? I put Neo predef powder on them if they bleed, but mostly they don't.

He deserves the absolute best. We're on the train back to NYC now after a nice visit to Massachusetts.

Offline Summertime.and.Azkaban

• Resident Terrier Wrangler
  • Old Timer
  • Holli and Azkaban
  • Mood: Tired
  • SDC interest: owner-trainer
Re: Elbow calluses
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2017, 02:24:37 PM »
 I always use a foot scrub exfoliater on the callous and scrub vigorously with a wash cloth and then put a thick cream like A&D or aquaphor on it. I do it once or twice a week and it keeps it soft. Az's elbow callouses are just hairloss and soft skin so I don't have to exfoliate his but our older dog gets them pretty thick even though we have mostly carpet.
-Azkaban, Rayner, and Chewy-
"I am not interested in picking up crumbs of compassion thrown from the table of someone who considers himself my master. I want the full menu of rights" -Desmond Tutu
PM me about being pen pals or receiving a holiday card in the mail!

Online Kirsten

• Administrator
  • Have a flufftastic day!
  • Mood: Okay
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2017, 02:48:33 PM »
When I was heavy into horses I used corona on healed wounds that were missing hair.  Maybe this is superstitious, but I believed it did help some hair grow back.  Now, I cannot guarantee or even suggest it's going to make these calouses go away, but my sister's dog was crated waaaaay too much before she got him and he had horrible calouses.  I suggested the corona and she used it and they did improve.

Corona is mostly lanolin, a natural oil from sheep.  It's meant to be used on wounds and hooves.  I think it works by softening the skin.  Wehther it encourages hair growth or not, it does soften the calous a bit without taking away it's protection.

You can get corona at a farm supply store or tack shop, or find it online.  It comes in a yellow container, either a tub or a tube, with black and red lettering on it.  It's marketed for veterinary use on wounds so should be safe even if licked, but you can check the ingredients yourself or ask your vet.  I've not had any problems with it and have used it many years on both horses and dogs.  It smells a bit like Bandaids to me, so not a strong odor or very chemically.
Kirsten and Tardis
In loving memory of Cole (1/11/99 - 6/26/12)  He gave me back my life.

"The one absolute, unselfish friend that man can have in this selfish world -- the one that never proves ungrateful or treacherous -- is his dog." -George G. Vest

Offline Summertime.and.Azkaban

• Resident Terrier Wrangler
  • Old Timer
  • Holli and Azkaban
  • Mood: Tired
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2017, 03:16:38 PM »
I used a lot of lanolin as nipple cream when I was nursing my son. Definitely the best thing for tough cracked skin.

A&D uses lanolin as a base, though it's probably not as safe to lick.
-Azkaban, Rayner, and Chewy-
"I am not interested in picking up crumbs of compassion thrown from the table of someone who considers himself my master. I want the full menu of rights" -Desmond Tutu
PM me about being pen pals or receiving a holiday card in the mail!

Offline Arrowcom

• Loquacious Member
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2017, 04:48:31 PM »
I wonder if poodle coats prevent this. I have seen it on a lot of labs and shepherds but have never seen it on any curly haired dog with growing hair. In fact, if anything, the hair is prone to get more matted at the elbows, not get rubbed off.
Accept the things you can not change, have the courage to change the things you can, and have the wisdom to know the difference.

Offline Ariel

• Scruffmaster Extraordinaire
  • Old Timer
  • Mood: Cynical
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2017, 06:40:21 PM »
Corona is mostly lanolin, a natural oil from sheep.  It's meant to be used on wounds and hooves.  I think it works by softening the skin.  Wehther it encourages hair growth or not, it does soften the calous a bit without taking away it's protection.

I wonder if by softening the skin it allows for new hairs to more easily penetrate upward through the skin.
Jubilee - Service Dog - German Wirehaired Pointer
Jubi's FB page!
In Loving Memory of Service Dog Saxon (6/5/13-12/2/15)

Offline SandyStern

• Official Welcomer
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2017, 07:02:17 PM »
Really helpful. Thanks, all.
And I suspect that Cindi secretly uses lemon halves and kosher salt to soften her elbows while her people sleep.

Online Kirsten

• Administrator
  • Have a flufftastic day!
  • Mood: Okay
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2017, 07:37:30 PM »
I wonder if by softening the skin it allows for new hairs to more easily penetrate upward through the skin.

That's my hypothesis.
Kirsten and Tardis
In loving memory of Cole (1/11/99 - 6/26/12)  He gave me back my life.

"The one absolute, unselfish friend that man can have in this selfish world -- the one that never proves ungrateful or treacherous -- is his dog." -George G. Vest

Offline Arrowcom

• Loquacious Member
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2017, 09:21:36 PM »
And I suspect that Cindi secretly uses lemon halves and kosher salt to soften her elbows while her people sleep.

Lol! She is a diva!
Accept the things you can not change, have the courage to change the things you can, and have the wisdom to know the difference.

Offline Moonsong

• Dog Training Student
  • Old Timer
  • My SD is my Super (hero) Dog
  • Mood: Sad
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2017, 10:45:31 AM »
Arrow - I've never noticed any calluses on any of my dogs throughout my life. All were non-shedding, hypo-allergenic dogs. Two bichons, a miniature poodle, and now our current three dogs: Oliver (shih-tzu, lhasa apso, pekengnese, poodle), Jack (bichon, shih-tzu), and Max (shih-tzu, poodle, mystery). So there might be a correlation.
Max - shih tzu/poodle- SDiT  Max's Facebook Page
Kirby - Pied Cockatiel - official bird of SDC
My YouTube channel (I love receiving feedback on my training methods!)