Author Topic: Research organization wants SD handlers to take a survey  (Read 310 times)

Online SandyStern

• Official Welcomer
  • Mood: Happy
  • SDC interest: SD partner
Research organization wants SD handlers to take a survey
« on: October 31, 2017, 09:06:27 AM »
It seems legitimate. If you feel comfortable writing about problems with fake service dogs in the "other" blanks, please do!

http://www.surveygizmo.com/s3/3773597/be92cbe65c0d

Offline OlgatheGSD

• Loquacious Member
  • Michelle and Olga
  • Mood: Brain fog
  • SDC interest: owner-trainer
Re: Research organization wants SD handlers to take a survey
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2017, 09:28:09 AM »
I took it! It was short and sweet, plus mobile version worked well.
Just yesterday I went to the store and left Olga at home, and low and behold upon leaving an elderly lady with a pit mix was walking in, dog with zero gear on and was a good 3 feet in front of the lady. Granted it was calm, but it was clearly not trained to heel.
Potato quality human with a smarter-than-you-honor-student dog.

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Olga-the-GSD-1632466706793262/

Online SandyStern

• Official Welcomer
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2017, 09:52:51 AM »
I get a lot of e-mail on the topic because of news coverage of my lobbying efforts.  Just heard from a guy with MS, in a wheelchair, who does ADA compliance for a big concert management company.  He says that certain types of music performances are heavily attended by angry people with intact large bully breed dogs who refuse to answer the questions, yelling about invisible disabilities.  Lately he hears more "DPT," so he asks what those letters stand for and they don't know! 

Offline Ariel

• Scruffmaster Extraordinaire
  • Old Timer
  • Mood: Cynical
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2017, 10:00:50 AM »
I took it. Is it strange that I don't really hear disapproval of my SD? I mean, like I can't think of a single time in all the time I've had Jubi and all the time I've had Saxon that I experienced disapproval. Breed curiosity, but never scorn. I've never had anyone have a bad thing to say about behavior or anything. I did hear multiple times that Chessies were aggressive and that GWPs are nuts and mine must be broken, but I don't count that as disapproval, just stupid commentary from the peanut gallery.
Jubilee - Service Dog - German Wirehaired Pointer
Jubi's FB page!
In Loving Memory of Service Dog Saxon (6/5/13-12/2/15)

Offline RedSonia29

• No. We're not going for a ride....
  • Mood: Okay
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2017, 10:41:19 AM »
I took it! It was short and sweet, plus mobile version worked well.
Just yesterday I went to the store and left Olga at home, and low and behold upon leaving an elderly lady with a pit mix was walking in, dog with zero gear on and was a good 3 feet in front of the lady. Granted it was calm, but it was clearly not trained to heel.

I took the quiz, too. Fortunately, we haven't been directly discriminated against per se (refused access), but I can say that we have been seated in some interesting locations, well away from other patrons, while in restaurants. I'm also not a fan of the pet rooms in hotels. I usually ask to change if we get assigned one of those.

My previous SD, Clive, was a 55lb pit/boxer mix. The poor guy got the wrong end of the genetic stick and we retired him from public access young due to late-developing medical issues. We did get some interesting looks early on when we were doing public access training, but he was well behaved, friendly, and knew how to heel. He was an amazing (at home) diabetic alert dog until he passed last year.

Bowie is an AmStaff/Mini Poodle/Mutt (Staffoodle? Poostaff?) mix. The worst comment I've ever received about him is that he looks like a big (32lb) black cat. I definitely think people can tell that he has some bully in him, but the rest of his genetics left him with a calm, easily trainable, biddable demeanor, and a fantastic nose. We are frequently commended for his good behavior, mindfulness, easy-going attitude, alert/signaling skills, and how he is a good example of a service dog. We'll see how he does with his SD training (and behavior) as he matures. So far, so good, though.
In loving memory of Clive (CLASS, CGC, Diabetic Alert Dog). You saved my life countless times just by using your heart, nose, and your fat pit bull head. Our time together was too short and I miss you every day. 12/21/11 - 11/19/2016

Bowie's Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/BowietheDAD/

Online SandyStern

• Official Welcomer
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2017, 10:44:28 AM »
Ariel:
I envy your confidence.  I wrote about "disapproval" mostly based on facial expressions and overheard muttered comments.  And then I read your post and wondered why I pay any attention! I should stop surveying the universe to make sure I'm not exceeding my allotted space, or whatever.

Offline Ariel

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2017, 10:49:10 AM »
Ariel:
I envy your confidence.  I wrote about "disapproval" mostly based on facial expressions and overheard muttered comments.  And then I read your post and wondered why I pay any attention! I should stop surveying the universe to make sure I'm not exceeding my allotted space, or whatever.

I guess I was thinking about disapproval in a very vocal, obvious sense. I've never had anyone complain to me or to anyone that could do anything  that my dog was poorly trained, or stunk, poorly groomed, nuisance, slobbering, acting in an erratic or concerning manner. I guess that's what I was thinking of. Of course there have been the "Why is there a dog in here?" comments but I've never thought about that as disapproval. I guess I just don't care. I can very clearly think of one woman with a hijab who was absolutely terrified of Saxon in a grocery store and I did my best to turn around and and go the long way around aisles out of respect to avoid her. Again, I don't consider that to be disapproval or scorning though.
Jubi's FB page!

Offline OlgatheGSD

• Loquacious Member
  • Michelle and Olga
  • Mood: Brain fog
  • SDC interest: owner-trainer
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2017, 10:59:49 AM »
I've never had access issues with businesses either. Every poor experience I've had with access is other customers making really rude comments about dogs being filthy. Not once have I had a comment about her behavior other than people not understanding that she's not a finished dog, regardless of how well behaved she is. My college adores her and thinks she may as well be fully trained. Compliance and calmness aren't what makes a dog fully trained lol

I have no complaints about breed. I have had people afraid of GSD's ask me to get away from them because they thought she bites. I tell them I wouldn't take her with me and bother with training if she bites, especially unprompted. She's never even offered to fight back when dogs lunge at her so I consider her as safe as they come.

Overall my only issues are with the general public not knowing any better and businesses not being educated on what service dogs look like (DOGS! :facepalm: ) or that they are allowed to remove the dog if it is peeing all over or aggressive. Olga is an expert at pointing out pee puddles in stores.

When I had Zelda, people assumed she was a lab mix, with a few asking if she's attacked anyone. Every chessie I've met has been amazing but that could also be the work of a local breeder. They keep puppies until 12 weeks for training and socialization. Best dogs I've ever had the pleasure of meeting.

I honestly don't think DPT should be a task. I carry a heavy blanket because Olga moves too much for it to be therapeutic. Dogs have to settle first and I've never known a dog to get it right on the first try. Wiggling around makes my anxiety and sensory issues worse, but that's just me.
Potato quality human with a smarter-than-you-honor-student dog.

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Olga-the-GSD-1632466706793262/

Offline RedSonia29

• No. We're not going for a ride....
  • Mood: Okay
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2017, 11:04:58 AM »
I can very clearly think of one woman with a hijab who was absolutely terrified of Saxon in a grocery store and I did my best to turn around and and go the long way around aisles out of respect to avoid her.

Archaeologist/Anthropologist here: That was likely a cultural/religious reaction to dogs in public buildings, not necessarily scorn or fear of the dog. In Islamic custom, dogs are generally seen as impure and the Qur’an advises people not to come into physical contact with dogs. This doesn't necessarily mean that Muslim's can't touch dogs, use them in the field, or keep them as pets, but just to generally avoid physical contact with them. For example, if the woman were touched by Jubi, she would need to go and wash herself and the article of clothing that was touched by the dog.

What you did in response was the right thing to do, anthropologically speaking, though she may still have some apprehension about touching things that Jubi may have touched, including the floor or a cart, or even you, if the two of you were to meet and shake hands.
In loving memory of Clive (CLASS, CGC, Diabetic Alert Dog). You saved my life countless times just by using your heart, nose, and your fat pit bull head. Our time together was too short and I miss you every day. 12/21/11 - 11/19/2016

Bowie's Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/BowietheDAD/

Offline Ariel

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2017, 11:27:43 AM »
What you did in response was the right thing to do, anthropologically speaking, though she may still have some apprehension about touching things that Jubi may have touched, including the floor or a cart, or even you, if the two of you were to meet and shake hands.

It was Saxon, but it honestly doesn't matter what dog, I'm just glad I instinctually did what was most respectful.
Jubi's FB page!

Offline Arrowcom

• Loquacious Member
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2017, 09:29:09 PM »
Thanks for pointing out this survey, It was nice to have some input.

Cindi and my two biggest issues are 1. Services like Uber where people use their own cars, and 2. Businesse owners who's culture generally sees dogs as inappropriate to have inside. Though we also come across a ton of businesses who refuse to enforce laws and let anyone carrying a little teacup dog in with them. We haven't been attacked yet, but the instant that happens I'm sure my views will change on which matters are most important. I HATE when another dog has been barking in a business and when people see Cindi they ask why she was barking or comment about it and I have to tell them that NO my service dog is properly trained and doesn't bark. We also have issues with people thinking Cindi will bite them, and every once in a while people say they didn't know that Poodles could be 'seeing eye dogs' but that's most of what we deal with.

The most annoying one by far for us is the Uber issue. I can't drive, and I rely on public transit to get around. Of course when on any sort of public transit you have to deal with the peanut gallery, but that's better then a driver refusing to take you if they see you have a dog. It comes down to texting your driver and saying you have a dog so that if they cancel, they do it before you wait 20 minutes for them to get to you. Then you can at least get a driver who won't leave you standing on the curb late for an appointment. Though the downside is you can't report the driver this way. It's frustrating.
Accept the things you can not change, have the courage to change the things you can, and have the wisdom to know the difference.

Online SandyStern

• Official Welcomer
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2017, 03:24:26 PM »
I love the service that Uber provides and I hate the company.  If you let the driver know, s/he bails on you.  If you don't they take one look and start screaming about asthma. The company is being sued in federal court (D.Mass) by a lawyer I know with a Seeing Eye dog.  The company is being, as my nephews would say, a whole bag of . . . ducks about it.

Offline ZombieFodder

• Certified Zombie Hunter
  • Official Welcomer
  • "Probably just a fever"
  • Mood: Weird
  • SDC interest: curious
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2017, 04:06:12 PM »
I cant take it because I don't have a dog what does it ask?
THE HARDEST PART OF A ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE
          will be pretending I'm not excited

Online SandyStern

• Official Welcomer
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2017, 04:44:19 PM »
The questions are about access challenges and "disapproval."
I think they're looking to get some sense of what kind of characteristics are most likely to draw problems.
They are looking at demographics, the nature of SD tasks, and things like when you get disapproval, is it about your dog's size, hygiene, behavior, etc.

Offline ZombieFodder

• Certified Zombie Hunter
  • Official Welcomer
  • "Probably just a fever"
  • Mood: Weird
  • SDC interest: curious
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2017, 05:15:02 PM »
Interesting. I remember tons of access problems, but it was always just the dog in a place a dog isn't normally allowed. I don't really remember anything else being a problem, just a dog where it doesn't normally belong. Most common thing I heard was just the plain old "no dogs allowed".
THE HARDEST PART OF A ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE
          will be pretending I'm not excited