Author Topic: Puppy workouts  (Read 606 times)

Offline Summer

• Mood: Okay
  • SDC interest: waiting
Puppy workouts
« on: September 26, 2017, 07:51:17 PM »
What are some good indoors exercises for a puppy who has not been spayed/neutered and the vet hasn't yet okay of letting the puppy around other dogs?  Or/and okay for the puppy to be going on walks?

Some type of exercise that is okay to be doing inside?

I know training is good for both mental and physical but is there any other types of exercise? Preferably for both mental and physical or anything good for a puppy?

I appreciate any suggestions or/and recommendations.
Shari the Share Bear

Offline Summertime.and.Azkaban

• Resident Terrier Wrangler
  • Old Timer
  • Holli and Azkaban
  • Mood: Tired
  • SDC interest: owner-trainer
Re: Puppy workouts
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2017, 07:58:38 PM »
Generally baby puppies can be exercised in your home or yard with toys or training games. If they're super young it's best not to try walks, just play outside with them when they start to get rowdy.

Puppies don't really need formal exercise like adults do, normal engagement in play and age appropriate training should keep the dog mentally and physically stimulated sufficiently until walking becomes an option.
-Azkaban, Rayner, and Chewy-
"I am not interested in picking up crumbs of compassion thrown from the table of someone who considers himself my master. I want the full menu of rights" -Desmond Tutu
PM me about being pen pals or receiving a holiday card in the mail!

Offline Candy3

• Loquacious Member
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2017, 10:33:48 PM »
I don't know how big your puppy is, but here are some indoor "gym" stuff I got for my pup when he was little.

Sports center: https://www.toysrus.com/product?productId=129614076&source=CAPLA_DF:129614076:TRUS&cagpspn=plat_AACCF6AA&camp=PLAPPCG-_-PIDAACCF6AA:TRUS&gclid=Cj0KCQjw9afOBRDWARIsAJW4nvzFafvDn5c7yeUVkLvwAowuBWDmhgdlG8e0bf1IHXFLHYNy-btSQ30aAgHDEALw_wcB

Baby stepping stool: https://www.toysrus.com/product?productId=107532126

Tie an empty water bottle to an overhead fan and play tether-bottle with puppy.

Buy or make ramps for the puppy to practice on.

Also, there is this idea: https://www.pinterest.com/pin/484840716118851852/

Online Moonsong

• Dog Training Student
  • Old Timer
  • My SD is my Super (hero) Dog
  • Mood: Sad
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2017, 10:45:48 PM »
You can play fetch, but roll the ball. Don't throw the ball in any way that would cause the dog to jump or suddenly twist in order to get it. You want to be gentle with exercise until their growth plates have closed lest you do damage.
Max - shih tzu/poodle- SDiT  Max's Facebook Page
Kirby - Pied Cockatiel - official bird of SDC
My YouTube channel (I love receiving feedback on my training methods!)

Offline swimmergirl247

• Old Timer
  • hope my only reason for living
  • Mood: Wired for sound
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2017, 07:54:20 AM »
Oh I like the tether ball Idea! I'm stealing that but I'm going to hang it on a try in my backyard. lol Teddy loves to just and this would be a fun way to get his 'jumps in" poodles are like tiggers jumping is just part of there DNA there bilt on springs

I also find puzzle toys good for puppies inder supervision, buy something easy I like the kong wobble where the dog bats it around and I just uses kibble in mine its easy (unlike my last dog who loved complicated puzzles) if they too hard Teddy gives, up I'd start with the easy one and see if he likes the challenge then try to by something a bit more compacted.

what kind of puppy did you get that might change our suggestions on what to do.
Theodore(Teddy)SD you truly gods gift to me.
Abigail(retired SD you may not physically be with me but your wings and protection will always be in my heart.
"I may not have sight, but I'll always have vision- Alex S

Offline Azariah

• Old Timer
  • Mood: Tired
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2017, 12:28:00 PM »
It was suggested in my service puppy Class to use toys that stay with you when possible. Like gentle tugging. Rational was that it helps build a relationship between you and the puppy.

All my puppies have gotten tons of exercise just being puppies. I usually have to work to keep them from doing stairs too much or jumping on furniture. Those can cause damage to a puppy if done too young.
Invisible physical and mental disabilities.
Advanced experience training obedience dogs. Very new to training service dogs.
Current Samoyeds: Rio (11), Cosmo (3), Serenity (SDiT)

Offline Candy3

• Loquacious Member
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2017, 03:44:47 PM »
We didn't have a yard that our puppy could play in, so I had to create an indoor playground for him. The concept was built around activities that develop coordination, muscle tone, mental stimulation and experience without risking injury.  Puppies are like children in that, if you give them a wide variety of opportunities for mental stimulation, their intelligence will soar.

Online Ariel

• Scruffmaster Extraordinaire
  • Old Timer
  • Mood: Cynical
  • SDC interest: SD partner
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2017, 10:27:07 PM »
When Jubi was little I'd make kibble trails in the backyard which encouraged her to use her nose and be rewarded for walking/running at her own pace. I also have a kiddie pool that she has always enjoyed splashing in. I have filled that with a few inches of water and dropped small pieces of hot dog or other treats in it so she could search around in the water for the treats. I'd hide her ball and have her find it and play with her when she found it. I did a lot of training games too. I would have her walk on strange surfaces like aluminum foil or bubble wrap and ask her to do basic commands on top of them. It took double the brain power and short training sessions would tire her well.
Jubilee - Service Dog - German Wirehaired Pointer
Jubi's FB page!
In Loving Memory of Service Dog Saxon (6/5/13-12/2/15)

Online Moonsong

• Dog Training Student
  • Old Timer
  • My SD is my Super (hero) Dog
  • Mood: Sad
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2017, 10:34:22 PM »
I also have a kiddie pool that she has always enjoyed splashing in. I have filled that with a few inches of water and dropped small pieces of hot dog or other treats in it so she could search around in the water for the treats.

Me and Max did this when he was a pup, too, but in the bathtub or in a sterilite tub. He definitely enjoyed it a lot, and made the cutest bubbles :biggrin:
Max - shih tzu/poodle- SDiT  Max's Facebook Page
Kirby - Pied Cockatiel - official bird of SDC
My YouTube channel (I love receiving feedback on my training methods!)