Author Topic: Dog boots  (Read 246 times)

Offline Ramboferret

• SDC interest: curious
Dog boots
« on: September 26, 2017, 01:19:20 PM »
I live in Arizona.  The pavement gets upwards of 180*f here. I put boots on my dog whenever we go out. She didn't like them at first but quickly got used to them.  If they are going to be on her for long periods of time 6+ hours I also put cornstarch powder in them, and take them off every couple hours just to let her paws air out. 
I always get asked questions as to why do I put boots on my dog or to the other end of the spectrum that say oh how cute. I also use the boots for her to try to not pick up any germs etc. I am especially scared of parvoviruses does any here use boots on their dogs feet. Or any comments or opinions would be appreciated thanks   

Offline Kirsten

• Administrator
  • Have a flufftastic day!
  • Mood: Okay
  • SDC interest: owner-trainer
Re: Dog boots
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2017, 01:29:49 PM »
I don't think the boots are going to protect against parvo.  You're tracking stuff into your home on the bottoms of your shoes too and your dog lies around your home.  It's also not going to protect your dog from stuff tracked into businesses where your dog lies down.

You could just put the boots on before you go out on pavement and remove them when you get someplace where you are going to be for a while, such as a restaurant, movie theater or place where you work.  It might make your dog more comfortable.

I don't use boots.  My dog does fine.  Part of the problem with using boots is they cause the dog's feet to get softer and less resistant to heat and rough surfaces.  If you wear shoes all the time, the soles of your feet are a lot thinner and softer than if you go around barefoot all the time.  The same is true for a dog.  So I go the opposite direction and if I notice a problem or in a young dog I apply a pad thickener such as "Tuf-Foot."

I don't spend a huge amount of time on asphalt, but I do cross large parking lots with my dog without difficulty.  Believe me he'd tell me if there was a problem because he doesn't have any difficulty complaining about a broad range of things.  Concrete is never a problem for him.  Asphalt is only a problem if we're on it for a long time, like at an amusement park that is black topped.

He's got good traction with his natural pads and he's comfortable.  But to each his own.  You have to do what you think is in your own dog's best interests.  I'm just suggesting there are alternatives if you're worried about your dog's comfort wearing them for long periods.
Kirsten and Tardis
In loving memory of Cole (1/11/99 - 6/26/12)  He gave me back my life.

"The one absolute, unselfish friend that man can have in this selfish world -- the one that never proves ungrateful or treacherous -- is his dog." -George G. Vest

Offline Ramboferret

• SDC interest: curious
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2017, 01:42:51 PM »
Thanks for your input.  I have never heard of tuff pad. I will have to do some research on that. Again thank you

Offline Arrowcom

• Loquacious Member
  • Mood: Happy
  • SDC interest: SD partner
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2017, 03:26:01 PM »
Living in Las Vegas, I use boots sometimes too. My school highly suggested them, as Cindi was raised in Palm Springs, so we understand hot pavement! Things like Asphalt and metal grating can actually be very dangerous to your dog's feet on a hot summer day. I'm with Kirsten in that it's important to build your dog's paw pads up a little bit. If it's a hot day, but I can leave my hand on the pavement for about 10 seconds, then I make Cindi walk on it as long as we won't be standing on it for a long time. That being said, I've been out on one of those 115 degree days where Cindi stepped on some rocks directly in the Sun and Yelped because they were so hot on her feet. So there are times where she just wears her shoes. Sometimes I'll do it while we're hiking too and there's lots of jagged sharp rocks. Hear the hikes are really Stoney and rough, and there is not a lot of grass or foliage to create a buffer for feet. That being said, you really have to be careful because dogs cool off through their feet. If it's a hot day and your dogs wearing shoes, it's going to make them heat up extremely quickly. So it's a good idea to take the shoes off when you get in side not only so that your dog is more comfortable, but so they do not overheat. You should only have shoes on for the shortest time possible to protect your dog and keep them comfortable. But yeah, there are some days where not wearing shoes would just be cruel here in the desert.
Accept the things you can not change, have the courage to change the things you can, and have the wisdom to know the difference.

Offline Kirsten

• Administrator
  • Have a flufftastic day!
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2017, 03:59:22 PM »
Tuf-foot or something similar should be available at sporting goods stores that cater to hunters who use gun dogs.  Bass Pro, for example.  I think their version is called blue something, but don't quote me.

Here's the tuf-foot website:  http://tuffoot.com
Kirsten and Tardis
In loving memory of Cole (1/11/99 - 6/26/12)  He gave me back my life.

"The one absolute, unselfish friend that man can have in this selfish world -- the one that never proves ungrateful or treacherous -- is his dog." -George G. Vest

Offline Candy3

• Loquacious Member
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2017, 04:09:31 PM »
I use Ruffwear GripTrex and my dog loves wearing them! He loves that they protect his feet from hot pavement, sharp objects, and he seems to enjoy wearing blue shoes just like me. lol! (Dogs can see the color blue.)

People in SoCal love seeing dogs in shoes. At first, it was always: "Aww, look at the cute little dog!" Now it's "Aww, look! The dog's wearing shoes!"