Author Topic: Ear issue -bad timing  (Read 283 times)

Offline Sheenar

• Official Welcomer
  • Mood: Brain fog
  • SDC interest: SD partner
Ear issue -bad timing
« on: September 18, 2017, 11:31:22 PM »
I just took Zeus to the vet last month for vaccines, fecal, exam, blood panel (has to be done every so often since he's on Apoquel) and spent almost $150.

The month before that was the "every 3 months buy a 3 month supply of Apoquel" month.

And not too long before that, both Zeus and Marzipan were at the vet (Marzipan's vaccines, mini senior blood panel, exam, etc. -Zeus was due for bordatella which I give in case I have to board him in an emergency).

For the past several days, I've been watching a brewing ear issue in Zeus' left ear. First time this has happened in a year. Cleaning it with the solution bought from our vet for this purpose -to kick anything that might brew. And he whined/cried when I cleaned his ear tonight. Zeus is not a wimp about really anything. Poor guy.

So will call the vet in the morning and see if maybe there's something we can do to treat at home or if I can maybe just go pick up some medication and not need an exam. He's had ear infections before and has the symptoms, so I'm pretty sure the usual antibiotic/antifungal ear drops will kick it.

Cause man, stuff keeps happening and I need to build my savings back up so I have an emergency fund.  I mean, we're okay and have what we need and I have the funds to cover the cost if he has to get an exam -but I have like $16 in my savings and I keep having to spend the money I would put in savings each month. Either one of the animals needs something or something unexpected happens and I have a sudden extra expense one month. I know that's life and you do what you can.

This is mostly a vent about the bad timing. Like, we were just at the vet. XP
Sheena, Zeus, and Marzipan Anne the Kitty of Doom
http://thereisachronichope.blogspot.com/

Offline Arrowcom

• Loquacious Member
  • Mood: Happy
Re: Ear issue -bad timing
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2017, 11:51:33 PM »
 Oh Sheenar, I really feel for you. Cindi and I went in for a vaccine 3 weeks ago, then again 2 weeks ago for a cut paw, then a week ago for stomach issues, and that still hasn't completely cleared up. Sometimes things just keep piling on top of each other! It sucks, and I hope things get better for Zeus and you soon.

On the topic of ear infections, I have two suggestions. First off, when you clean his ear, do you poor ear cleaner down his ear and massage his ear canal with your fingers (meaning squish it together until you can hear the liquid in it)? This really helps in clearing up infections and actually feels good to the dog rather then hurt. Also, do you have Zymox? I got it off amazon for under $10 and it is supposed to kick an infection's butt.
Accept the things you can not change, have the courage to change the things you can, and have the wisdom to know the difference.

Offline Moonsong

• Dog Training Student
  • Old Timer
  • My SD is my Super (hero) Dog
  • Mood: Sad
  • SDC interest: owner-trainer
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2017, 12:23:08 AM »
I'm so sorry to hear about that, Sheena. Hopefully his infection will clear up easily. I was prone to lots of ear infections as a kid, so I have lots of sympathy for Zeus the Moose; not fun. Give him some cuddles from me.
Max - shih tzu/poodle- SDiT  Max's Facebook Page
Kirby - Pied Cockatiel - official bird of SDC
My YouTube channel (I love receiving feedback on my training methods!)

Offline Sheenar

• Official Welcomer
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2017, 01:01:08 AM »

On the topic of ear infections, I have two suggestions. First off, when you clean his ear, do you poor ear cleaner down his ear and massage his ear canal with your fingers (meaning squish it together until you can hear the liquid in it)? This really helps in clearing up infections and actually feels good to the dog rather then hurt. Also, do you have Zymox? I got it off amazon for under $10 and it is supposed to kick an infection's butt.

Yes, that's what I do. That's what I was taught when I got my first dog. After squishing it together, I wipe out the ear with cotton pads.

I don't have Zymox, but I can ask my vet about it. The cleaner I'm currently using is Epi-Otic.

Thank you both. Things will get better. They're just deciding to pile up a lot at once currently.

Online OlgatheGSD

• Loquacious Member
  • Michelle and Olga
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2017, 11:49:33 AM »
Zymox didn't really work for Olga. Her vet gave me a giant bottle of Keto-tris+PS so we use that once a week for gunk and infections it's a trip there to get a powerful steroid liquid shoved in there. It's a one time application and you're not supposed to clean their ears for 45 days. That stuff is a miracle and was pretty inexpensive. Olga produces more wax than normal so things get stuck and fester.

Good luck with the ear stuff!!
Potato quality human with a smarter-than-you-honor-student dog.

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Olga-the-GSD-1632466706793262/

Offline Sheenar

• Official Welcomer
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2017, 03:15:11 PM »
Forgot to update.

Zeus saw the vet last week and was diagnosed with a yeast infection in his left ear. Right ear was okay.

The vet put an infusion dose in his ear -it was $20, which was less expensive than the $40 course of drops would be. She said it was just that one infusion dose -then don't do anything to the ear for a month (no cleaning). Said the infusion usually is great at clearing up yeast in ears.

Zeus is still rubbing the left side of his head on the carpet periodically -but not frequently -maybe once a day if that. Hopefully that will get better with more time. He's still playful and retrieving things for me -and his usual self. Just can tell the ear bothers him a little. 

Was told to give him Benadryl also -it's safe to give with the Apoquel he's on -and it should help with the bit of itchiness he's having currently (man, the heavy rain has everything going haywire -I've been pretty sniffly myself -probably more mold spores around outside). I give that to him at bedtime so it doesn't affect his working (he's cleared to still work and has been working as normal -no sign of discomfort while working).

Offline Moonsong

• Dog Training Student
  • Old Timer
  • My SD is my Super (hero) Dog
  • Mood: Sad
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2017, 04:16:35 PM »
That's good to hear!
Max - shih tzu/poodle- SDiT  Max's Facebook Page
Kirby - Pied Cockatiel - official bird of SDC
My YouTube channel (I love receiving feedback on my training methods!)

Offline swimmergirl247

• Old Timer
  • hope my only reason for living
  • Mood: Wired for sound
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2017, 05:28:45 PM »
glad its was cheap visit, I'm about to spend a butt load getting Teddy UTD on his shots, have his ears cleared, and hopefully he doesn't have an infection (its a constant issue with him even with mean cleaning them out often) and get his calming medication for grooming sessions plus its "time" for a professional groom (he goes every four months, then we just clip him with scissors in between. So yeah I'll be spending a good amount on him next month.

Theodore(Teddy)SD you truly gods gift to me.
Abigail(retired SD you may not physically be with me but your wings and protection will always be in my heart.
"I may not have sight, but I'll always have vision- Alex S