Author Topic: Would I be able allowed a service dog?  (Read 391 times)

Offline Johns662

• Newly arrived
  • SDC interest: curious
Would I be able allowed a service dog?
« on: September 18, 2017, 08:17:47 PM »
Hello everyone,

You can call me Mel. I am 28 and have been struggling with a lot of things for a very long time...Sleep being one of them. This year I was diagnosed with idiopathic hypersomnia, which is basically like narcolepsy except I was able to fight the sleep attacks...key word being was. I was also finally treated for my debilitating migraines and now that the pain is gone, along with the pain of the continuous headaches I didn't realize I was having, I find my sleep situation even worse. My stimulants help me stay up when I teach...only if I am drinking coffee and standing or walking. I take three pills separated during that time to get me through my teaching day and when I sit down to drive home overwhelming exhaustion hits. I actually keep ice cubes in the freezer at work to use to keep me awake enough to drive home, even with the stimulants. As soon as I sit down at home, I'm done for the day. Waking up for the day is even harder. I have four alarm clocks with five alarms set on each since I have learned to turn them off in my sleep. I have taken to rearranging them every morning to prepare for the next.

Talking to my doctor, he thinks I had a false negative in my sleep study because of my migraines. I can't get retested until April but I worry that the results will still be idiopathic hypersomnia. Will I still be able to obtain a Service dog that helps wake me up like the narcolepsy support dogs if I end up having another negative test? If I could stay awake more I wouldn't miss so much in life. I was also thinking that since I'm a teacher and I'm slowly trying to obtain my special education master's online, maybe I could also use the Service Dog to benefit students in need as well at school. As a result, the dog would be able to help me and my students who may have other needs.

I just can't help but wonder if you can have a service dog for a sleep disorder like Idiopathic Hypersomnia. I know you can have one for narcolepsy, but I wonder if the same can be true for other sleep disorder. Any additional info would help. I've tried searching for info, but all I see is research on how service dogs could be used to help people with sleep disorders and not if they are able to have them.

Online Kirsten

• Administrator
  • Have a flufftastic day!
  • Mood: Okay
  • SDC interest: owner-trainer
Re: Would I be able allowed a service dog?
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2017, 09:51:49 PM »
The name or specific nature of the diagnosis doesn't matter.  What matters is what you can and cannot do.  So if your symptoms remain the same, regardless of what the diagnosis is it should not change your chances for qualifying for a service dog.  It wouldn't change what the dog is trained to do.  What it might change, however, are two things:
1.  Your treatment (which is good news because getting the right treatment increases your chance of benefiting from treatmemt)
2.  Stigma.  I'll be honest.  I'm not familiar with the social aspects of either diagnosis, whether one diagnosis would be socially preferable to the other.  But let's suppose there is a difference and you wind up with the less favorable diagnosis.  It's possible, though I don't think likely, that a program might decide not to take you.  What that really tells you though is that that probably wasn't such a hot program to start with if they're going to get judgmental or not realize that the training of the dog is based on what the handler can't do not on what a piece of paper says is the diagnosis.  In which case you keep applying until you find a good program willing to work with you.
Kirsten and Tardis
In loving memory of Cole (1/11/99 - 6/26/12)  He gave me back my life.

"The one absolute, unselfish friend that man can have in this selfish world -- the one that never proves ungrateful or treacherous -- is his dog." -George G. Vest

Offline Ines

• Struggling with an odd variety of disabilities.
  • Mood: Okay
  • SDC interest: curious
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2017, 10:15:01 PM »
Mel, you have come to the right place at the right time!!! 

I, too have Hypersomnia. Have struggled with it for about 20 yrs and FINALLY, FINALLY have found the best, most effective treatment with NEUROFEEDBACK.

Until you find someone willing and able to do the training with you here's what I did to stay awake during my very short drive home after work. I had to sing. Try it. You'll find it's much more difficult to go to sleep while you're singing as loudly as you can 😫😩😵

My psychologist had been treating people with insomnia and was not familiar with IH. He was actually treating me for ADD and it took him a while to figure out that quieting my racing mind was NOT working for the IH. The last thing my brain needed to learn was how to relax🙄

We struggled from March through the end of July with successes/failures, ups/downs before he came up with the double training I began in August. Mel, I turned 70 on August 15 and could not have had a better birthday present than to get my life back. At first I feared it was a fluke and too good to be true, but it's getting close to 2 months and I stay awake all day, go to bed at a reasonable time, sleep 7-8 hrs instead of 12-14+ and wake up relatively easily.

None of the research and reading I'd done about Hypersomnia over the years mentioned neurofeedback as a
treatment which puzzles me. I still take a small dose of Adderall, but have been able to cut it back from 30mg twice a day to 15 mg first thing in the morning with an occasional 7.5mg boost around noon if I'm feeling sluggish.

Feel free to vent here because you've found someone who's gone through everything you're experiencing and then some. It doesn't get better and drugs are only partially effective.
It was once said that "she will sink beyond hope of salvage"⛵️ 🙀    but moving right along she did her best to defy the odds  😼

Too old to be young & cool😎 too young to be this old👵🏻

Offline Azariah

• Old Timer
  • Mood: Tired
  • SDC interest: owner-trainer
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2017, 11:59:13 PM »
For what it is worth my dad is a neurofeedback expert. He offers it as a service to some clients. It did help him with his narcolepsy (his was called something milder) to the point he does not need the adderell anymore.

I have a machine at my house. I have been procrastinating using it for a bit but need to get hooked up again. I am using it to help with anxiety and insomnia.

Invisible physical and mental disabilities.
Advanced experience training obedience dogs. Very new to training service dogs.
Current Samoyeds: Rio (11), Cosmo (3), Serenity (SDiT)