Author Topic: Long-lasting Stomach Issues : bad food?  (Read 308 times)

Offline Arrowcom

• Loquacious Member
  • Mood: Happy
  • SDC interest: SD partner
Long-lasting Stomach Issues : bad food?
« on: September 18, 2017, 06:33:42 PM »
Hey guys, I don't know why poor Cindi and I are having so many health issues recently, but I thought I'd ask advice on this anyway. Starting exactly 1 week ago last Monday, Cindi had pretty soft stool. And ever since then it got worse and worse, to the point where we were up about 10 times on Wednesday night bringing her outside. Needless to say, the issue had been going on long enough that I brought her to the vet the next day. They gave her a shot, and some antibiotics that act as anti-inflammatories to her intestines. She got a bit better after that, but her stool is still soft! Not watery like it was, but still way too soft to be healthy. I'm feeding her a diet of part kibble, part white rice, and part canned pumpkin  I'm wondering if her food could actually be what's causing the issue? The problem started on Monday, which is when we opened a new bag of food for her. It's the same food she's been on for a while (  Taste of the wild salmon and sweet potato ), so I know it's not the brand itself, but maybe this particular bag of food? I've looked into it and haven't seen any recalls recently, and my vet doesn't know of any either, but I'm pretty concerned for Cindi. Do you think that this could be a food issue? I've been told if it keeps up they'll just have to do a sample and test it in the lab. I'm just at a bit of a loss here. Thanks for any advice you guys have!
« Last Edit: September 18, 2017, 06:36:46 PM by Arrowcom »
Accept the things you can not change, have the courage to change the things you can, and have the wisdom to know the difference.

Offline SandyStern

• Official Welcomer
Re: Long-lasting Stomach Issues : bad food?
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2017, 07:20:24 PM »
I'd toss the bag and ask the store for a refund. Too much of a coincidence.
Everyone recommends rice, but it has never helped my dogs. I'd buy a new bag of kibble and give her a probiotic for a few days. Don't give too much pumpkin. A tablespoon will do it.
I would definitely try to get a sample of the poop and have it checked at the lab.  It'll put your mind at ease.

Offline Candy3

• Loquacious Member
  • Mood: Okay
  • SDC interest: owner-trainer
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2017, 09:26:25 PM »
I'd toss the bag and ask the store for a refund. Too much of a coincidence.

I agree. Sometimes a batch is bad. Not everyone reports it, you don't always hear about it online, companies do what they can to avoid a recall, and it doesn't always make it to the proper sources for a recall.

Offline OlgatheGSD

• Loquacious Member
  • Michelle and Olga
  • Mood: Brain fog
  • SDC interest: owner-trainer
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2017, 10:26:13 PM »
Bad batches happen. Pet stores should happily take back an open bag and replace it since open bags are sent back to the factory most of the time at no cost to the retailer. Some brands just tell them to throw it away. I'm assuming when they send it back, it's to check for contaminates.

I worked in a pet and farm store for a year. This is pretty common. About a weeks worth of portions missing usually meant it was a sincere problem with the food itself. People feeding all but a cup out of a 30 pound bag didn't get a new bag.
Potato quality human with a smarter-than-you-honor-student dog.

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Olga-the-GSD-1632466706793262/

Offline Arrowcom

• Loquacious Member
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2017, 11:39:34 PM »
  I get my food from chewy. Do you think they will take it back?
Accept the things you can not change, have the courage to change the things you can, and have the wisdom to know the difference.

Offline Sheenar

• Official Welcomer
  • Mood: Brain fog
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2017, 11:50:54 PM »
  I get my food from chewy. Do you think they will take it back?

When I had to switch Zeus' food due to allergies, but had a whole unopened bag of his old food, Chewy still refunded me the cost of that bag (and let me order the new food) -and told me they don't take back the old bag and to donate it (which I did -I had a friend take it to the animal shelter). Chewy is wonderful at helping their customers.
Sheena, Zeus, and Marzipan Anne the Kitty of Doom
http://thereisachronichope.blogspot.com/