Author Topic: Help - maybe fleas  (Read 171 times)

Offline Suse

• Old Timer
  • Mood: Okay
  • SDC interest: SD partner
Help - maybe fleas
« on: September 18, 2017, 12:40:54 AM »
I house sat for a friend a couple of weeks ago for about 8 days. Now she is telling me her dog and cat have a bad infestation of fleas!  My spoo is 8 years old and has never had fleas, or worms, etc.     I have always been very careful.

He is highly sensitive to chemicals and I cannot use any flea and tick medication on him as it causes him to have seizures.  Really bad seizures.  I am actually part of a list of people in a Frontline lawsuit.   

I am totally freaked out.   I just checked his tail area and I do see quite a few black dots.  He has not been scratching excessively (very very seldom as per normal life), but I am really worried.  He is going in to be groomed tomorrow.

Online Kirsten

• Administrator
  • Have a flufftastic day!
  • SDC interest: owner-trainer
Re: Help - maybe fleas
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2017, 12:54:50 AM »
You can kill the fleas that are on him by bathing him in dawn detergent but it is drying and hard on the coat, so you wouldn't want to do it on a regular basis.  It also won't kill anywhere you can't get thoroughly sudsy, such as around the ears and eyes. 

It only takes a single flea or flea egg to re-infest a dog or environment.  So at the same time you treat the dog, you must also treat his bedding and your home.  Then any place else where he is exposed to a source of fleas or flea eggs he is again at risk for infestation.

Can he take capstar (available from the vet)?  An oral flea preventive?
« Last Edit: September 18, 2017, 12:57:03 AM by Kirsten »
Kirsten and Tardis
In loving memory of Cole (1/11/99 - 6/26/12)  He gave me back my life.

"The one absolute, unselfish friend that man can have in this selfish world -- the one that never proves ungrateful or treacherous -- is his dog." -George G. Vest

Offline Suse

• Old Timer
  • SDC interest: SD partner
Re: Help - maybe fleas
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2017, 01:35:10 AM »
One single flea?  Yikes scary.   I certainly hope he does not have them.
If the groomer thinks he might have them I will take him to the vet.  I am quite frightened of any strong medications as his seizures were really severe and long lasting. I cannot risk losing my service dog:(   I actually canceled a trip last year to Costa Rica as they started requiring Frontliine or equivalent to be able to enter.

I just saw this :  https://www.puppyleaks.com/dog-fleas-signs-symptoms-treatment/

In my research online I also read that it is usually cats that are outdoors that normally bring the fleas in to begin with. I haven't had cats for almost 40 years, but my friend has one that runs around outdoors almost every day.