Author Topic: What's Up With Beneful?  (Read 748 times)

Offline Azariah

• Old Timer
  • Mood: Tired
  • SDC interest: owner-trainer
Re: What's Up With Beneful?
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2017, 02:16:06 PM »
It is possible is that Kirkland is a private label of a different brand of food. This can happen with store brands.
Invisible physical and mental disabilities.
Advanced experience training obedience dogs. Very new to training service dogs.
Current Samoyeds: Rio (11), Cosmo (3), Serenity (SDiT)

Offline mommagrizzly

• Loquacious Member
  • Mood: Happy
  • SDC interest: SD partner
« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2017, 02:24:11 PM »
I think Kirkland is manufactured by Diamond.
Do what you think you can't do
Keturah's FB Page
PM me about being pen pals

Offline Punktestern

• Loquacious Member
  • The amazing bouncing ferret!
  • Mood: Vulcans have no moods
  • SDC interest: curious
« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2017, 02:31:59 PM »
Okay, I have a general idea of what I'd like. Kirkland seems to be high quality in ingredients and is easily accessible to me and affordable. But what about feeding trials?

I've tried looking up "Kirkland dog food feeding trials" and couldn't find anything. So I thought maybe I just wasn't searching correctly and tried looking up "Purina ProPlan feeding trials" since I know for a fact that there are feeding trials and still couldn't find anything. How do you find the feeding trials?

On the Purina page, you should look under the Ingredients/Guaranteed Analysis heading. It'll say something like "Animal feeding tests using AAFCO procedures substantiate that Pro Plan Focus Adult Large Breed Chicken & Rice Entree Chunks In Gravy provides complete and balanced nutrition for maintenance of adult dogs." (That's just a random food I picked to check the location on.) AAFCO is the Association of American Feed Control Officials - While it's not official/required, it's a decent benchmark.

Note that there are two options - Formulated to meet AAFCO standards (not sure of the exact wording) and 'Feeding tests using AAFCO procedures'. You want the latter to avoid the issues Kirsten mentioned.

I couldn't find anything about that on the Kirkland dog food's website, but if you went to COSTCO, you could check the bags for that same information - If they passed the test or did the feeding trials, it'll be written on there as one of the two options I listed above too.
Canine Welfare/Training Technician - Guide Dogs for the Blind
Cambrie - Yellow Lab Female - Guide Dogs for the Blind - Completed Phase 8 of 8 - Waiting for a Match!
PM me for Holiday Cards!