Author Topic: how large should a balance dog be?  (Read 737 times)

Offline analyn

• SDC interest: curious
Re: how large should a balance dog be?
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2017, 10:14:04 PM »
There are programs that place in home service dogs and they usually have a far shorter waiting list than the public service dogs. The program I last used called them "Home Helpmates".

excellent.  I have narrowed my world quite a bit due to my illness.  I would be very compatible with a SD who needs their life narrowed for whatever reason.

Online Moonsong

• Dog Training Student
  • Old Timer
  • My SD is my Super (hero) Dog
  • Mood: Sad
  • SDC interest: owner-trainer
« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2017, 01:41:51 AM »
BTW, Analyn, if you are disabled and train a dog legitimate (as in not emotional support) tasks to mitigate that disability that it is still considered a service dog by law.

At-home service dogs are sadly unknown about. What little Joe Average knows about service dogs doesn't usually include at home ones. But they're incredible too! I'm glad that you have appeared to have found a good solution! Keep us posted
Max - shih tzu/poodle- SDiT  Max's Facebook Page
Kirby - Pied Cockatiel - official bird of SDC
My YouTube channel (I love receiving feedback on my training methods!)

Offline SandyStern

• Official Welcomer
  • Mood: Happy
  • SDC interest: SD partner
« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2017, 05:09:04 PM »
A good program will have you come for an interview and let you test drive a dog. This will help you understand how they work. Don't rule out a big dog.  A properly bred and trained service dog is a very quiet and lazy-seeming dog. I mean, they are not lazy, but they are so low key. They won't bang into your furniture or bounce around.  My program placed a lot of dogs with people in studio apartments.

Offline analyn

• SDC interest: curious
« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2017, 05:54:26 PM »
I guess I just have a picture of me and the dog stumbling over each other.  My place is average as far as square feet--but the rooms are VERY small.   

I go back to my Dr on the 20th--I plan to contact some programs between now and then and see what they can do for me.

I don't think there is any problem with the disability being denied.  I have a diagnosis of Meniere's (people often get service dogs for that) and have been struggling with the symptoms and trying literally everything for nearly 20 years as I slowly have gotten worse and worse.  My Dr's would be willing to let me try just about anything to help.  I have a doctoral degree in Chemistry and have been unemployed for nearly ten years because I was unable to work :sad:  until about two years ago,  when I finally came up with something I could do--even though it isn't what I am trained to do so that I can work from home at least enough to support myself.  So the disability has definitely hindered my life.  I think the only problem I might have with my Dr is that they really want to see me get out more--so they may object to the idea of an in-home service dog.  But I truly am quite content with staying close to home.  My sister and brother live in my condo community, my parents live 6 miles away, I have a great neighbor who is a good friend---everything I need to be happy is here.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2017, 05:56:05 PM by analyn »