Author Topic: Rough week  (Read 685 times)

Offline Mike

• SDC interest: curious
Rough week
« on: September 07, 2017, 01:33:20 PM »
Hey guys as the topic says it's been a rough one. My episodes that I've been having were diagnosed as bipolar manic depressive episodes. I had to do an emergency walk in at pathways yesterday.  My psychiatrist was at a Nother facility so they got me in to whoever wasn't busy, that person after hearing what I had to say made arrangements for me to go back to eastern state, and I  immediately ask what about my dog. It took some time but they said they would except her but, she had to wear some kind of cape. So they made me an appointment this morning to see my psychiatrist. I just knew one of the deputies was gonna be there to take us away. Since I'm a registered 202a my wife can't take me anymore, it has to be a deputy. He's supposed to bring me home and supervise the packing of my clothes, check my medicine bottles and kinda pat me down for weapons. But they know me pretty good and she gets my stuff ready while he sits on the couch or stands and talks to me. But thankfully my  psychiatrist cancelled it. He upped the dosages of two of my meds. Sittin here is better than gettin patted down again, given a Thorazine shot put in a grey suit and put in segregation. I don't know how Sophie woulda done, but they just said to bring her food and whatever else she needs, but I didn't understand putting her in a cape. I just don't know what that woulda been. I guess I woulda been given special rights to take her to do her business but I'm quite sure under very guarded  circumstances. I'm just glad they would have excepted her as if not I would have been a handful. I have formed a bond with her that is unreal. I really don't know what I would do without her..

Offline Solace

• Mood: Tired
  • SDC interest: owner-trainer
Re: Rough week
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2017, 01:39:59 PM »
It sounds like it may be the case some day that you will be hospitalized and not be allowed to take her.  I think it would be really good to work out a plan with your wife.  I am glad that Sophie is working out for you.   :smile:  I just don't want her to be distressed should she be separated from you some day for a time.

Offline Mike

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2017, 11:34:18 AM »
Solace, what would you suggest. She can already accompany me in hospitals X-ray rooms and just basically wherever I go. I mean I know she won't be allowed in the OR if I ever have to have another operation. At the pain clinic I go to she's not allowed back in the rooms. Where they give me my spinal shots or inject my knees. The spinal shots I don't think work very good. That's where the CGC 3 minute test helped. We had to go outta the dogs sight for 3 minutes and a stranger held her leash, she passed it with flying colors and that was the test I was worried so much about. But your input would be valued. Thank you and I very much enjoy this site. Much love and respect..

Offline OlgatheGSD

• Loquacious Member
  • Michelle and Olga
  • Mood: Brain fog
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2017, 11:49:00 AM »
Most of us here have been hospitalised without our dogs with us simply for the safety of the dog. Some dogs get really distressed when their owner is hooked up to stuff that smells really sharp like sterile needles and IV bags. Some dogs do ok with a visit, some are afraid of hospitals, some have to retire from service work because it was traumatic to them to a severe degree.

It's also for you ease while healing or busy with getting better, since if you are bedridden and can't take her outside, it would be up to your family to come and do it, and a lot of times that isn't possible.

Example: I have let my local police and fire department know that if I am incapacitated in any form, they will call my mom, who is also supposed to pick up my kids, and have her take Olga instead of them taking her with me to the hospital. She will be in better care and I will worry a lot less if she is only worried about me instead of potentially being mentally scarred. She would also be best left with someone who she knows well and isn't likely to lose her or leave her at a shelter, like the fire department or police would do after a certain amount of time. My mom is a poor dog handler, but I would know she's safe.

Since the police department helped you get Sophie (if I'm remember correctly), perhaps they would be a good backup to your wife, especially if they are well versed in trained GSD's and are comfortable having her over night if the case arises. It is exactly why I want the fire department especially to call my mom, they have no idea how to make her heel or respect her. The police department I trust, but they are quite busy most of the time. Mom has a fenced backyard and knows her vet, what she eats and when, what she is allowed to do on and off leash, and when exactly I am able to take her back. A plan like that with someone you trust is very worthwhile.
Potato quality human with a smarter-than-you-honor-student dog.

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Olga-the-GSD-1632466706793262/

Offline Mike

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2017, 12:53:02 PM »
Wow that's really great advice. Thanks you so much for that, you're why I love this site. I let my wife read the response and I took a screen shot of it. And will show it to the chief of police. We may go down there to his office today. It's Friday and that's when we normally go see him. He loves to see Sophie. They have 4 K-9 units and one of the officers was a trainer in the military. I wouldn't doubt that the chief would have no trouble taking Sophie home with him if something major we're to happen. She's been in the ER 4 times and normally just lays on the cool floor an goes to sleep. They were gonnna let her in s mental hospital  yesterday but when I go I'm in segregation an not around any other  patients I'm 202a for life so I can't be in general population. I'm in a room with a small desk a foam bed and a window and that's it. But thank you so much for this great advise..

Offline OlgatheGSD

• Loquacious Member
  • Michelle and Olga
  • Mood: Brain fog
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2017, 01:14:33 PM »
You're very welcome  :biggrin:

I hope all goes well for you and you recover with ease!
And keep us updated! I appreciate your updates on Sophie :smile:
Potato quality human with a smarter-than-you-honor-student dog.

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Olga-the-GSD-1632466706793262/

Offline Suse

• Old Timer
  • Mood: Okay
  • SDC interest: SD partner
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2017, 01:00:01 AM »
Mike, it sounds like Sophie is working out so well for you. I can tell you love her to bits.  I actually do not know of any Psych hospitals that will allow a SD to stay with their owner/handler.

My dog has stayed with me in hospitals for several days if I had other people to come and walk and potty him, but that was not Psych.

It might be a good idea to practice leaving her with someone else for periods of time, not only for her to get used to it, but for you to be used to it also.

(I too have a hard time with this).

Offline Moonsong

• Dog Training Student
  • Old Timer
  • My SD is my Super (hero) Dog
  • Mood: Sad
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2017, 01:29:46 AM »
It might be a good idea to practice leaving her with someone else for periods of time, not only for her to get used to it, but for you to be used to it also.

(I too have a hard time with this).

This is a good point for practice for when you can't take her somewhere and you have to be separated. What if you had some sort of accident where you were unconscious for a week? You wouldn't be able to have her in the hospital. What if something happened to her where she had to be boarded at the vet?

I'm glad that she does well with you in the hospital, but sometimes it's best not to bring them because it can become stressful to the dog over time, if not right away. The lack of exercise, being stuck in the same room constantly, seeing their handler in that kind of state, etc. It's tough on their psyche. Practicing separation will be a good exercise for you guys. Especially considering that someday, she will have to retire, and she'll have to learn to stay at home while you learn to cope without her/with a different dog. This is a transition MUCH easier to make if it was practiced ahead of time. And early retirements can happen, so it's important not to put it off.
Max - shih tzu/poodle- SDiT  Max's Facebook Page
Kirby - Pied Cockatiel - official bird of SDC
My YouTube channel (I love receiving feedback on my training methods!)

Offline Mike

« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2017, 03:18:59 PM »
Still good advice coming in, I really appreciate it guys. Idk how it was ok'd but someone eastern said to bring her food and whatever else she may need so idk. But I have been in this particular hospital a few times, well a lot just to tell the truth. Their records on me looks like a large phone book. But idk how whoever got it ok'd. But I didn't have to go so it's all good. We didn't make it to the police station yesterday but we will. We've been on a nice walk today. And have been working on 'bring' today she really impressed me. I used her food as a reward. Her trainer will only use treats for just a very lil time and phase it out. I would also say that her trainer may take her in if something were to happen. I know the chief of police would, that's a given, as we go see him. And that they still do random checks on me. The checks on me are ok and go good. Folks I wasn't some pure outlaw have I been labeled that yeah, but they fail to understand mental illness. Does local law enforcement thinks so, no they know what's going on. Yesterday I started my upped again dose of lithium, I hope it works as I don't like being like I am. Hopefully we can go walk again here soon. And work on bring again. I was using a empty paper towel roll the cardboard part. Soon I'm gonna start with keys, med bottles, just anything I may need and drop. Thanks guys you all are VERY appreciated..

Offline Ariel

• Scruffmaster Extraordinaire
  • Old Timer
  • Mood: Cynical
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2017, 04:58:18 PM »
I just came out of the hospital last week after spending 9 days inpatient with lithium toxicity. I'm also Bipolar I with Rapid Cycling and Psychotic Features. It really sucks sometimes. Hospitals can be a necessary evil so good for you if you need to get help and do go inpatient. I have brought previous service dogs to psych admissions and it was hugely stressful for them.

I've decided I won't bring Jubilee, my current SD to any psych hospitals because it did take a toll on the working comfort and command responsiveness of previous service dogs I did take inpatient. It's an individual choice, but since my SD has always had to be on duty pretty much 24/7 and have very limited ability to get exercise and only 3 walks a day when someone came to take them out, I've decided it is selfish for me to do to my partner.

Sophie is only 15 or 16 weeks if I properly remember so for bladder and bowel maturity as well as overall training and maturity, I'd devise a plan for her to be cared for if you needed to go inpatient. Whether you ultimately decide to do inpatient with her should there be a need when she's a fully trained adult is up to you but a very young puppy is quickly going to become overwhelmed and burnt out if asked to work all day for days on end with limited potty breaks and a trainer (you) who isn't at his best to care for himself much less be a sharp and objective, rational trainer.

None of that is a slight on you or her, so definitely not trying to offend. Part of my selfishness when I'm doing poorly enough to need inpatient treatment is losing objectivity. A hospital should be for you (or me or anyone in need) to get stabilized, not used as a multi-day training opportunity for a puppy or dog learning. I'm hopeful lithium helps you Mike, it's very much the primary reason I am stable (and alive) right now.
Jubilee - Service Dog - German Wirehaired Pointer
Jubi's FB page!
In Loving Memory of Service Dog Saxon (6/5/13-12/2/15)

Offline Suse

• Old Timer
  • Mood: Okay
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2017, 09:48:28 PM »
Yes, please do not overstress Sophie.  Baby steps in training have been  proven to work the best.

Offline Mike

« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2017, 11:02:54 AM »
Hey guys all points were well taken. I consider you folks the professionals and I'm the rookie and prone to make mistakes. I had to call my pcp this morning, I have a sizeable knott on my right foot, probably a bone spur idk but I'd say. That and hurricane Irma is threating training this Tuesday I'm pretty down about it. But the psyc training is done in my home so that's still on. Our trainer is costly but I need it, and don't mind it. I have the best trainer in the world. O my pcp wants to see her so she's goin with me. I had every intention for us going to the grocerystore today but walking is fairly difficult..

Offline Ariel

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2017, 07:59:18 PM »
That's awesome that you have a great support system. It means a hell of a lot to have people on your side rooting for your success.
Jubi's FB page!

Offline Mike

« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2017, 01:26:22 PM »
Thanks Ariel, yeah I have plenty of support, lol almost 1/2 the town. I think some were very glad that I'm no longer like I was, I'm banned for life in 6-8 stores here in town due to just plumb mad dog mean. It's my fault and nobody else's. At one time I carried two guns, one out in the open and one concealed, we can legally carry a gun in sight, or what they call open carry here in Kentucky. I don't know how ya'll feel about guns, but back when I had my  inheritance I collected pre 1982 smith and wessons. But now their all locked up, but that's ok I know where they are. Plus I have a few 1911s. Plus I welded so that was paying the bills then some. I was thinking the other day that I'd like to be able to weld again, it's really good money. lol I can see Sophie handing me rods. But I now am a changed person, I got help I got the right meds and I got Sophie, I think the town had a celebration the day I changed. As I was fairly nasty sometimes. But all that's behind me now and instead of folks sayin what they did about me, they know greet me and Sophie out in some stores and places. O I've apologized many times to folks it's just the right thing to do. They've really got me calmed down now and I don't harbor ill feelings anymore. We're goin to church Sunday even yessir. Me and Sophie are  gonna limp up to the pulpit and talk to feller I ain't seen much of in a very long time. Even though I'm in the shape I'm in I feel blessed to have what I do, Sophie, my family is 100% behind me. I have a new wife now that doesn't have to have whiskey to exist. I have you guys to guide me along. I have a nice home that is payed for. And I gained respect back from folks in this lil town that I terrorized and bullied for so long. Yeah I still wear my ole hat and still look like Jose whales, but that's ok, now instead of riding into town lookin for a fight I now look to respect and be as good as I can. Sorry for the long winded post, but I'm just sorta depressed I can't weld anymore, I just wonder when I'll accept that I can't..

Offline Ariel

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2017, 05:50:41 PM »
A few years back during a psychotic episode I said some really horrible things and some of those statements were blatantly targeted. I don't remember it, but while I spent two weeks and some change in the hospital, I'd lost a lot of people I considered friends and was banned from multiple online groups. It was incredibly difficult to accept my accountability because even though I had no memory of what all I'd said, and would not have said such things while feeling well, the impact on others and the little online Facebook community of 5+ years back was not less. I'm glad you have such clear reflections on your past behavior and interactions. It can be really hard to lose something you're good at and pride yourself on. Though not welding, I've felt similar losses and it sucks.
Jubi's FB page!