Author Topic: What had your service dog done for you today  (Read 612 times)

Offline Mike

• SDC interest: curious
What had your service dog done for you today
« on: September 02, 2017, 06:58:16 PM »
Well to answer my on question, kept me calm during the game, lol but has given me a reason to live, given me a reason to get out and work with her. I always like to keep her on her toes. She has given me an extra ear to listen with out  judging me. We have  successfully taught her right from left. She has kept the dark side of my brain from  overriding the good side of my brain and we chilled on the couch and watched the Kentucky game. lol we won. I hope everybody had a good day, and hope you love your dog as I do..

Offline Kirsten

• Administrator
  • Have a flufftastic day!
  • Mood: Okay
  • SDC interest: owner-trainer
Re: What had your service dog done for you today
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2017, 09:47:28 AM »
Both my dogs cheer me up every day, exercise me and keep my mind sharp.  It's not the work of a service dog but some swell bonuses to dog ownership that I appreciate daily.  :biggrin:
Kirsten and Tardis
In loving memory of Cole (1/11/99 - 6/26/12)  He gave me back my life.

"The one absolute, unselfish friend that man can have in this selfish world -- the one that never proves ungrateful or treacherous -- is his dog." -George G. Vest

Offline SandyStern

• Official Welcomer
  • Mood: Happy
  • SDC interest: SD partner
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2017, 10:49:35 AM »
I don't rely on my dog for good cheer. I consider it my responsibility to provide him with entertainment and emotional support though. Meeting his needs is very important to me.

But today my dog has given me his usual spectacular effort (his employee performance reviews are always very good):
Walked me over uneven ground at the Farmers' Market so I did not fall. Retrieved my keys when I dropped them. Opened the door to a warehouse by hitting the automatic opener. For a show-stopper, I asked him to find my guest's misplaced wallet, and he did!  I wasn't expecting much, but he figured it out. First he retrieved my keys and my wallet/phone, and when I said "try again," he sniffed until he found another thing that smelled like leather, I guess.

Those are tasks. But there are so many trained behaviors that have to be reliable for SD work! Just today he: held a down stay while I got up and into my robe and slippers, walked with me to the door, stood quietly while I clipped leash to collar, went outside and peed and pooped where and when I asked, came back in with me, waited while I fixed his breakfast, ate, lay quietly while I read the paper, waited while I showered and dressed, positioned and held still while I harnessed him, waited for a command before jumping in or out of the car.

So far today he's gotten half his paycheck: a ten minute play session. I'll brush him if the rain stops, and I usually combine that with some heavy petting.

Online OlgatheGSD

• Loquacious Member
  • Michelle and Olga
  • Mood: Brain fog
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2017, 11:25:40 AM »
Olga did her usual 9 am roll call by licking my face and then sloooooowly getting up on the bed and immediately ploping down right on top of me. This morning she gave me the poop whine so that means I can't sleep in anymore and I have to let her out. So really, she has gotten me out of bed and planning my day filled with training and playtime. Not at all task related, but still always very nice waking up to giant shepherd kisses and cuddles. She's my little lover.

Now she is laying next to me while I drink some coffee and play an online game on my computer, as loyal as ever.

Edit: picture! (I really like sharing pictures)
https://imgur.com/EVUZOUJ
« Last Edit: September 03, 2017, 11:28:22 AM by OlgatheGSD »
Potato quality human with a smarter-than-you-honor-student dog.

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Olga-the-GSD-1632466706793262/

Offline meeshymoosh

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2017, 05:47:15 PM »
Showed me he's clever and will snap from "Lets Go" (loose leash, relax) to "With Me" (heel) on a casual, happy walk no problemo and no corrections. Then switch back happily even in the presence of a barking neighbor dog who is off leash. This is something I'd speculated he'd eventually differentiate, but he seems to have really rose to the occasion lately.

Yesterday the light bulb went off in his head and he has learned to pick up the leash and provide it to me so I don't have to bend down and grab it. Not a task, but a fun thing I was teaching him between tasks. We went from "blech leash tastes gross, no thanks" to "OHHHHH" in two days total of training (one day on/day off/day on).

I can't wait to show our trainer next week <3
Samson - GSD - 3 years old SDiT
Gideon - Alaskan Husky - 2.5 years old

Offline Mike

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2017, 01:46:36 PM »
Yesterday Sophie interrupted a pretty major anxiety attack. I had went to the fridge to get a water and she started barking and reared up on my chest, I thought it was where I didn't let a piece of Ice fall on the floor as I always do. I was reaching to get her ice and I had a feeling like my mind was tumbling over its self and like I had just came in from from the bright sunlight, seeing colors. My wife leased her as I was almost in a stupor. I did yell help and we hit the door. We have 4 steps leading to the landing and she matched me step for step. Walked off the landing and into the yard. I had enough sense to heel and sit her. I hugged her and talked to her she gave me kisses and just walked. My wife came out to check on us and we were doin ok. I coontinued to walk her and heel her and sit and drop the leash and do recalls, it was the only thing I knew to do. After we came back  in we worked with her more abut trying to get the door open an her going first. She did pretty decent given the situation. I know we need a ton more training but I feel at her age she's doing really well. Thank god for her..

Offline Arrowcom

• Loquacious Member
  • Mood: Happy
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2017, 05:02:08 PM »
I know I'm a bit late, but I love this thread and wanted to add something too! Today we went hiking! I decided at the last second I was going to let Cindi just be a dog and be on leash, so I left her harness in the car. There were tons of other dogs on the trail and of course lots of people too. Even though Cindi made lots of friends and had plenty of smells to sniff, she still stuck close by me and even stopped to indicate large steps. She wasn't on the clock and didn't need to, but she is so amazing she did it anyways. She also went a bit ahead of me and naturally fount the best places on the path to go, so I could just follow her. She lead me around a lot of rocks that way! Our dogs are awesome!
Accept the things you can not change, have the courage to change the things you can, and have the wisdom to know the difference.

Offline Moonsong

• Dog Training Student
  • Old Timer
  • My SD is my Super (hero) Dog
  • Mood: Sad
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2017, 09:10:14 PM »
This evening we went to Olive Garden. The one by our house is usually pretty manageable for me, and I LOVE their food. I brought Max because he's mastered restaurants at this point and I want to maintain his level of competency in them.

When we got there, the noise was unbearable. I had a sensory-induced panic attack, had my hands over my ears with my eyes closed. My mom was asking if we needed to leave (and sounding pretty annoyed about it) and my older brother was asking if we could just try. So I asked Max to sit (he was laying in between my feet) and began running my hands through his fur.

Let me clarify - this isn't emotional support. If I could have a stuffed animal with a heater inside of it, with the same fur texture as Max, that would work just as well. It's the softness, the specific texture of his fur, and the warmth that helps regulate my sensory input. I'd never list it as a task since he's not doing anything, but it sure helped a lot. It helped make the noises more bearable, and I was able to stay without having any more panic attacks after that.

Then, when we were coming back from the bathroom once, our waitress saw Max and her face lit up, and she said "Oh! I didn't even know there was a dog there! What a good service dog!" That was the first time I've been given that compliment, and it felt really, really good, especially since I've been kind of frustrated with his training lately. It reminded me that even though we still have challenges and rough times ahead, Max has already come so far. It reminded me that laying quietly in a restaurant, while still paying attention to me/ignoring distractions, is not something that Joe Average's dog can do, and the compliment was a great reminder to appreciate how far well we're doing as a team so far.
Max - shih tzu/poodle- SDiT  Max's Facebook Page
Kirby - Pied Cockatiel - official bird of SDC
My YouTube channel (I love receiving feedback on my training methods!)

Offline Solace

• Mood: Tired
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2017, 09:20:43 PM »
He tried to sit on me while I studied.  He tried to help me study by snarfling my book.  I'm sure he means well.  I did thank him for his help.

Offline Mike

« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2017, 10:39:01 PM »
Thanks guys for the responses, would like to see more but if not it's ok. Today was a lil better day for me and Sophie. We were couch potatos for much of the day. But when it cooled off we got some work in. I've started shutting the front door and getting her to go to her leashes that I hang from a coat hanger I have by the front door. So far she's been able to do it 4 times. It's fun trying new things and occupies my mind. We have class  tomorrow at 6 maybe the rain will hold off. We're working on her checking around corners and such before I follow her.

Offline Suse

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2017, 12:52:09 AM »
My Sd is a total loveable goofball!  I am a bit confused though.... this is the ESA forum, and the question is about SD's?

Offline Mike

« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2017, 11:07:35 AM »
My mistake Suse, I get confused fairly easy, Sophie has been task trained, and I just didn't pay attention to what i was doin..