Author Topic: burrs  (Read 282 times)

Offline ember

• Mood: Exhausted
  • SDC interest: owner-trainer
burrs
« on: August 10, 2017, 11:10:50 AM »
 :angry:
I'm visiting family in Wisconsin, and my parents have a wonderful, woody backyard. Unfortunately, it's also filled with some massive burry plants. Any solutions to getting off these terrible things? I'm just trying to use my fingers and nails to slide them off, but his undercoat is so coarse. I get them off, then he goes right back into them.

On the positive side, everyone loves him and tonight we're going to my sister's house which has a TON of land and two awesome dogs, and a pond, and a different type of burrs. Oh, and there are lots of squirrels. They chatter at him from the trees and he gets so frustrated, lol.  My sister has a golden, and she says scissors  and patience. s :dry: :mad:

Offline Summertime.and.Azkaban

• Resident Terrier Wrangler
  • Old Timer
  • Holli and Azkaban
  • Mood: Tired
Re: burrs
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2017, 01:08:36 PM »
Is it possible to use a nit or flea comb and put it behind the burr to slide it out?

Maybe a squirt of kid's detangler would help with that part. I also know Kirsten uses a product that makes Tardis's fur slippery and less likely to hold foreign objects. Maybe that would help too.

I can't imagine making so many tiny cuts on a golden. It makes me shutter to think of the lopsidedness and poor golden hair.
-Azkaban, Rayner, and Chewy-
"I am not interested in picking up crumbs of compassion thrown from the table of someone who considers himself my master. I want the full menu of rights" -Desmond Tutu
PM me about being pen pals or receiving a holiday card in the mail!

Offline Solace

• Mood: Tired
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2017, 01:36:36 PM »
I hope they're not foxtails.

Offline SandyStern

• Official Welcomer
  • Mood: Happy
  • SDC interest: SD partner
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2017, 07:14:57 PM »
My neighbor has English Cockers that are constantly full of burrs.  I suggested (half joking) that she try those cleansing oils that feel like oil but have a surfactant in them so they rinse clean.  She said it works really well. The oil eases out the burrs, and then rinses out.

Offline Kirsten

• Administrator
  • Have a flufftastic day!
  • Mood: Okay
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2017, 09:52:12 PM »
THE Stuff, Ice on Ice, and Plush Puppy Swishy are all leave in coat products that make the dog's coat slick,  I'm pretty sure the first two are silicone based.  I haven't tried the third one personally but it was highly recommended by a friend. 

THE Stuff (easiest of the three products to find):  https://www.amazon.com/The-Stuff-16oz-Conditioner-Detangler/dp/B0002H3RLU

Ice on Ice (harder to find, but I prefer it because of the sunscreen):  https://www.cherrybrook.com/chris-christensen-ice-on-ice-spray-with-sunscreen/

Swishy:  http://plushpuppyusa.com/Swishy-Coat/P172_103/

It is much easier to just brush small burrs out of the coat when it has been previously treated with a silicone coat product.

Without the slippery-fied coat, I might give Tropiclean D-Mat a try with a greyhound comb, just working small sections at a time.

Another option is a K9 top coat Lycra body suit:  https://www.k9topcoat.com/product.asp?specific=jnnproo4
Kirsten and Tardis
In loving memory of Cole (1/11/99 - 6/26/12)  He gave me back my life.

"The one absolute, unselfish friend that man can have in this selfish world -- the one that never proves ungrateful or treacherous -- is his dog." -George G. Vest

Offline Ariel

• Scruffmaster Extraordinaire
  • Old Timer
  • Mood: Cynical
  • SDC interest: SD partner
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2017, 12:51:13 AM »
Try coconut oil and a fine toothed comb. Massage the oil into the coat. Afterward you can just brush him thoroughly and rinse him off to get excess oil off. It's nontoxic and not bad for him if he ingests any. I've used it. It works well in my experience.
Jubilee - Service Dog - German Wirehaired Pointer
Jubi's FB page!
In Loving Memory of Service Dog Saxon (6/5/13-12/2/15)