Author Topic: Trying to find a different high quality large breed puppy food.  (Read 337 times)

Online Solace

• Mood: Tired
  • SDC interest: owner-trainer
Solomon is having some digestion issues, so I thought I should try a different food and see if that helps.  He is on Life's Abundance large breed puppy food.  His breeder fed him that and raw meat, and it's a good food, so I went with it.  However, I think I need to see if another food would work better for him.  He throws up or has diarrhea sometimes, though he never acts sick at all.  His stool sample came up negative as of 3 days ago.

I am having a hard time finding a new food, though!  He really needs a large breed puppy formula.  He's 40 something pounds at 15 weeks, so I am concerned that he is at risk for growing too fast, which of course carries with it a risk of dysplasia and pano.  I looked at Wellness, but they all have peppermint extract, which I'm allergic to.  I looked Merrick but they don't have a specific large breed puppy formula.  They have a large breed formula, but it doesn't state calcium content that I can find, and it isn't specifically for puppy growth.  The only difference between that and the non large breed stuff seems to be the kibble size.  Honest Kitchen and Evo don't seem to have a large breed puppy formula at all.

Dogfoodadvisor has some that I've never heard of before, but they aren't available in my area and not sold online.

Any suggestions on a brand?

Oh!  Also!  The volume of food listed on food bags for a puppy his size recommend 5 to 6 cups of food a day depending on brand.  That seems like sooo much.  He'll eat maybe 4 cups of his current food.  Should I worry that he doesn't want to eat that volume?  I've begun feeding him 4 times a day just to get it down him.  It isn't like he's not growing on the amount he's eating.  He's actually quite a bit bigger than expected at the moment.

Offline mommagrizzly

• Loquacious Member
  • Mood: Happy
  • SDC interest: SD partner
Re: Trying to find a different high quality large breed puppy food.
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2017, 02:15:33 PM »
I feed Fromm. They have a large breed puppy gold.

https://frommfamily.com/products/gold/dog/dry/#large-breed-puppy-gold
Do what you think you can't do
Keturah's FB Page
PM me about being pen pals

Offline Kirsten

• Administrator
  • Have a flufftastic day!
  • Mood: Okay
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2017, 02:54:32 PM »
Dog Food Adivisor is not a good resource for finding a high quality food.  They do no testing at all and are not qualified to do nutritional analyses of food.  All they do is look at the ingredients on the label and they don't even have a veterinary nutritionist.  It's run by a human dentist.

Using human grade or human recognizable ingredients is a marketing ploy.  It doesn't necessarily affect nutrition or quality of the food itself.  The quality of the ingredients going in doesn't matter if they're in a form that puppy cannot access (digest).

Fromm is a good food, one that I've fed my own dogs.  But so is ProPlan large breed puppy which was actually designed by a team of veterinary nutritionists and has been extensively tested in food trials to prove that the nutrition put into it is easily accessed by the puppies eating it.  It's highly digestible.

There's also another option.  You're feeding what your breeder has recommended.  Perhaps there is another formula from the same brand that is designed for sensitive stomachs or is based on a different protein than what you are feeding now.  I personally would stick with the brand I know and try a different recipe within that brand before trying a different brand.  That's because I have many many years of positive experience with the brand I feed.  You can also consult your breeder for a suggestion on what to try next.  She knows this puppy's relatives and odds are if he's intolerant to her preferred food she's seen that before in one or more of his relatives and has already come up with a workable solution.  Your breeder should be a valuable resource for the life of your pup.

You have a large breed puppy, but how old is this puppy?  At about 5 months of age you need to start transitioning him to a high quality adult food.  This is not necessarily so for smaller breed puppies.  Large breed puppies generally develop more slowly than their small breed counterparts and a growth (puppy) formula can cause their bodies to gain weight faster than their skeletons can support it.  This can result in panosteitis, an inflammation of the nerve net that covers the long bones.  It is also sometimes called "wandering leg disease" or "growing pains," because it can cause lameness that comes and goes or moves from leg to leg.  "Pano" can be prevented by switching large breed pups to an adult formula that allows them to grow more slowly at about 5 months of age.

Here's the formula for a gentle transition to a new food:
at 5 months:  1/4 adult and 3/4 puppy
at 5 months and 1 week:  1/2 adult and 1/2 puppy
at 5.5 months: 3/4 adult and 1/4 puppy
at 5 months and 3 weeks:  all adult food

Some dogs/puppies will do fine with a sudden change in food, but others will not.  So regardless of when you switch to an adult food, use the formula above to make the switch to any new food in order to minimize risk of digestive upset and diarrhea.  Be aware that the act of changing foods alone may be sufficient to cause a digestive upset and does not necessarily mean pup cannot tolerate the new food. 
« Last Edit: August 05, 2017, 02:56:30 PM by Kirsten »
Kirsten and Tardis
In loving memory of Cole (1/11/99 - 6/26/12)  He gave me back my life.

"The one absolute, unselfish friend that man can have in this selfish world -- the one that never proves ungrateful or treacherous -- is his dog." -George G. Vest

Offline Kirsten

• Administrator
  • Have a flufftastic day!
  • Mood: Okay
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2017, 02:58:55 PM »
Note:  what usually causes food intolerance is an allergy to the protein in the food, ie the species of meat in the food, rather than the brand of the food and regardless of any grains in the food.  The most common food allergin in dogs?  Chicken.  Which is also the most commonly used protein in dog foods.  You might try a salmon formula instead but read the ingredients carefully because chicken is often used even in a flavor that is beef, lamb or fish (just lower down on the ingredients list).
Kirsten and Tardis
In loving memory of Cole (1/11/99 - 6/26/12)  He gave me back my life.

"The one absolute, unselfish friend that man can have in this selfish world -- the one that never proves ungrateful or treacherous -- is his dog." -George G. Vest

Online Solace

• Mood: Tired
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2017, 03:19:36 PM »
Kirsten, he is 15 weeks old.