Author Topic: Comfortis and ivermectin causes blindness and death???  (Read 200 times)

Offline Summertime.and.Azkaban

• Resident Terrier Wrangler
  • Old Timer
  • Holli and Azkaban
  • Mood: Tired
  • SDC interest: owner-trainer
Comfortis and ivermectin causes blindness and death???
« on: August 04, 2017, 03:59:27 PM »
We just stopped at our vet's office to purchase our flea med Comfortis. The tech at the counter told my fiance that we couldn't give it to our dogs if our heartworm preventive contained Ivermectin. Apparently new research claims that Comfortis and Ivermectin together cause blindness and death.

Has anyone read about this? Our vet's office wouldn't even sell the Comfortis to us until I told her I haven't given them their heartworm stuff for this month.

Can anyone search this for me, and tell me what is safe for heartworm preventives with Ivermectin? Our vet doesn't sell Bravecto but we could get seresto collars if needed. Topicals don't work well here.
-Azkaban, Rayner, and Chewy-
"I am not interested in picking up crumbs of compassion thrown from the table of someone who considers himself my master. I want the full menu of rights" -Desmond Tutu
PM me about being pen pals or receiving a holiday card in the mail!

Offline OlgatheGSD

• Loquacious Member
  • Michelle and Olga
  • Mood: Brain fog
  • SDC interest: owner-trainer
Re: Comfortis and ivermectin causes blindness and death???
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2017, 04:43:47 PM »
I'm not sure about the the mixture between ivermectin and Comfortis, but another option for flea med is Nexgard. I use Nexgard and Heartgard together since they are made by the same company and they are chewable treat like things so Olga thinks they are the greatest things ever and hasn't had problems so far.
Potato quality human with a smarter-than-you-honor-student dog.

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Olga-the-GSD-1632466706793262/