Author Topic: New puppy. I need help  (Read 1700 times)

Offline Solace

• Mood: Tired
  • SDC interest: owner-trainer
Re: New puppy. I need help
« Reply #30 on: August 04, 2017, 10:35:54 PM »
Oh my!  The forum censored a word of mine!  It was just the other version of darn, I swear. 

Offline Candy3

• Loquacious Member
  • Mood: Okay
« Reply #31 on: August 04, 2017, 10:50:33 PM »
 :laugh: Solace, has a potty mouth! :laugh:
Just kidding. I couldn't help teasing you about that one.  :wink:

Offline Summertime.and.Azkaban

• Resident Terrier Wrangler
  • Old Timer
  • Holli and Azkaban
« Reply #32 on: August 05, 2017, 01:56:20 AM »
The thing is, getting a trainer isn't going to turn the odds wonderfully. Even an expierenced trainer is going to have horrible luck with a rescue puppy.

We're treating you like you're set up for failure because you are. You have limitations set for you by either yourself or your parents that is going to make it very, very hard to succeed. Just being in school is going to set the odds against you.

Having a trainer hand pick your dog is important. Getting advice or guidance could probably pass on a breeder dog with a breeder's two cents considered, or an adult rescue but on a rescue puppy to have even a 1/100 chance you will need intense professional vetting.

There was a program who pulled from rescues, I don't remember the name but I know this story has been told on SDC before. They recorded their results and even with their intense testing beforehand and plethora of trainers they had a 1/100 success rate with rescue dogs. Consider in your personal bias while testing, your inexperience and the fact that the dog is going to be a rescue puppy under four months and I'd put your probability of success at about 1/1000.

If you really can not get a dog older than four months, can not find a program, can not have a trainer on hand and can not spend more than $300 then you're going to have to try what you can. But be aware that it is almost certainly going to turn into a learning dog and not a fully trained working service dog. You are not set up to have a fully onwer trained dog at the end of this.

It sucks, and I'm sorry. When you bring your dog home we'll help you troubleshoot everything you need help with. But you need to know that you are probably going to lose this lottery and be out thousands without a working dog. The people who succeed with rescues are lucky, not more skilled. They happened to pick the right dog out of chance.

I wish you all the luck in the world. But go into this hoping to succeed but know that it isn't likely.

It's clear you can't change anything else, so you can wait until you control your own finances and housing and can get a suitable prospect, or work with what you have even though it is undesirable and not set up to succeed.
-Azkaban, Rayner, and Chewy-
"I am not interested in picking up crumbs of compassion thrown from the table of someone who considers himself my master. I want the full menu of rights" -Desmond Tutu
PM me about being pen pals or receiving a holiday card in the mail!

Offline missythewriter

• Mood: Brain fog
  • SDC interest: waiting
« Reply #33 on: August 05, 2017, 07:33:05 AM »
I'm just going to say this, and then I'm done:

Even the greatest dog trainer in the world cannot make a dog unfit for service work a service dog.

Yes, you are setting yourself up for failure, because you are making the choice to adopt a rescue puppy. Adopt and rescue puppy are the keywords here. I understand that is what is available to you at this time, however, that doesn't make your odds any better. We want to see you succeed, and that is very unlikely given the circumstances. Not trying to hurt your feelings, just telling you the truth.

Good luck.

Offline mommagrizzly

• Loquacious Member
  • Mood: Happy
  • SDC interest: SD partner
« Reply #34 on: August 05, 2017, 09:16:21 AM »
What age group are you looking at? I know you said "puppy", but that can cover a wide range of ages.
Do what you think you can't do
Keturah's FB Page
PM me about being pen pals

Offline Cottonflower2

• Mood: Weird
« Reply #35 on: August 05, 2017, 01:23:52 PM »
What age group are you looking at? I know you said "puppy", but that can cover a wide range of ages.
I was looking for puppies under 4 months, but at this point, I'm looking for 6 months.

Offline Ariel

• Scruffmaster Extraordinaire
  • Mood: Cynical
  • SDC interest: SD partner
« Reply #36 on: August 05, 2017, 02:47:18 PM »
I was looking for puppies under 4 months, but at this point, I'm looking for 6 months.

6 months is a terrible age to bring home a pup and begin training. Under 4 months or over 8. Then you miss the awkward puppy to adolescent developmental period. Also if you get a 10 month old dog you've got a much better idea of what the energy, drives,  natural attention to handler, etc will be vs. a say, 8 or 12 week old puppy. The older they get the more of what you'll see as an adult.
Jubilee - Service Dog - German Wirehaired Pointer
Jubi's FB page!
In Loving Memory of Service Dog Saxon (6/5/13-12/2/15)

Offline Cottonflower2

« Reply #37 on: August 06, 2017, 12:16:51 AM »

6 months is a terrible age to bring home a pup and begin training. Under 4 months or over 8. Then you miss the awkward puppy to adolescent developmental period. Also if you get a 10 month old dog you've got a much better idea of what the energy, drives,  natural attention to handler, etc will be vs. a say, 8 or 12 week old puppy. The older they get the more of what you'll see as an adult.
Unfortunately, I can't really go with a dog over 8 months, I'm not so sure my mother would be comfortable with that.

Offline Solace

« Reply #38 on: August 06, 2017, 01:41:33 AM »
On an ironic note...  I met a handler today who has a rescued service dog that she got at 10 weeks old.  They seem to be a very successful team.  It happens!  But odds are against it.  It was refreshing, though.  Wouldn't it be great if all dogs were capable of such?  Maybe she got lucky, maybe she found some training magic.  She went through the same program I am going through and is now a trainer herself.  Let's hope for training magic.   :biggrin:

Offline Moonsong

• Dog Training Student
  • Old Timer
  • My SD is my Super (hero) Dog
  • Mood: Sad
« Reply #39 on: August 06, 2017, 01:59:16 AM »
Man, I'm sorry that you're going through such a rough situation here. It sucks that your choices are so limited, and neither option is great. I hope that, whatever happens, you'll be okay and things will turn out alright.
Max - shih tzu/poodle- SDiT  Max's Facebook Page
Kirby - Pied Cockatiel - official bird of SDC
My YouTube channel (I love receiving feedback on my training methods!)

Offline Kirsten

• Administrator
  • Have a flufftastic day!
  • Mood: Okay
« Reply #40 on: August 06, 2017, 09:33:07 AM »
Actually the odds are known.  It's 1 in a hundred for an adult shelter dog and no prior experience training service dogs.  It's lower than that with puppies.  This is from over a decade of data from Paws with a Cause which used to exclusively use rescue dogs in their program but had to start breeding to meet their need because suitable dogs were becoming less common in shelters.  One dog in a hundred of the thousands they evaluated went on to complete all the steps including temperament testing, screening for hip dysplasia, and completing training.  The largest percentage failed on temperament testing but three quarters failed on health screening (hip dysplasia) which is not usually evaluated until the dog is two years old.  Some people do a PennHIP which can be done with puppies or some do prelims with OFA, but there is some question about whether the testing procedure itself may be harmful to young bones and joints and how well it predicts future dysplasia.  The PennHIP database is closed, so very little is actually known about how good their data is.  The OFA database is open and is generally considered the standard as it's been around much longer than the PennHIP and since we can study the data.
Kirsten and Tardis
In loving memory of Cole (1/11/99 - 6/26/12)  He gave me back my life.

"The one absolute, unselfish friend that man can have in this selfish world -- the one that never proves ungrateful or treacherous -- is his dog." -George G. Vest

Offline Cottonflower2

« Reply #41 on: August 06, 2017, 02:00:43 PM »
On an ironic note...  I met a handler today who has a rescued service dog that she got at 10 weeks old.  They seem to be a very successful team.  It happens!  But odds are against it.  It was refreshing, though.  Wouldn't it be great if all dogs were capable of such?  Maybe she got lucky, maybe she found some training magic.  She went through the same program I am going through and is now a trainer herself.  Let's hope for training magic.   :biggrin:
That's great to hear! I can only hope to be that lucky