Author Topic: New puppy. I need help  (Read 1667 times)

Offline Solace

• Mood: Tired
  • SDC interest: owner-trainer
Re: New puppy. I need help
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2017, 07:19:04 PM »
I'm just curious.  Why are you giving up your current SDiT?

Offline Ariel

• Scruffmaster Extraordinaire
  • Old Timer
  • Mood: Cynical
  • SDC interest: SD partner
« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2017, 07:58:35 PM »
If Lyka is your first SDIT and you're giving her to your sister to be her SDIT so you can get a puppy to train in Lyka's place, does that not seem like an awful lot of work to finish training Lyka for your sister while simultaneously training a young puppy for yourself? Training a single service puppy and doing it well is a lot of work for a trainer with many year of experience and previous success puppies turned SDs. I'd worry that for a high schooler (I think you're a minor still?) with a year old new in training SDIT Husky and a young puppy SDIT Golden that you'd be spreading your very minimal experience and resources too thin to succeed with either SDIT.
Jubilee - Service Dog - German Wirehaired Pointer
Jubi's FB page!
In Loving Memory of Service Dog Saxon (6/5/13-12/2/15)

Offline Cottonflower2

• Mood: Weird
« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2017, 10:34:58 PM »
I'm just curious.  Why are you giving up your current SDiT?
Quite a few reasons that I don't really want to get into.

Offline Cottonflower2

« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2017, 10:45:51 PM »
If Lyka is your first SDIT and you're giving her to your sister to be her SDIT so you can get a puppy to train in Lyka's place, does that not seem like an awful lot of work to finish training Lyka for your sister while simultaneously training a young puppy for yourself? Training a single service puppy and doing it well is a lot of work for a trainer with many year of experience and previous success puppies turned SDs. I'd worry that for a high schooler (I think you're a minor still?) with a year old new in training SDIT Husky and a young puppy SDIT Golden that you'd be spreading your very minimal experience and resources too thin to succeed with either SDIT.
You seem to have misunderstood, either that or I mistyped. I'm continuing Lyka's training until I get my own puppy. It will be good for me because I'll have something to do for the rest of the summer plus I could develop a bit more experience, it'll be good for Lyka for obvious reasons, and it'll be good for my sister to figure out her schedule with work and training until I get the puppy. She will take over Lyka's training once I have started training my new puppy.

Offline missythewriter

• Mood: Brain fog
  • SDC interest: waiting
« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2017, 10:58:45 PM »
Are you sure you want to adopt a puppy, after knowing all the chances of failure with rescue puppies? Is there a set reason you have against adopting an adult? You have the lowest chance of success among every option possible for having a full service dog when you make the decision to train a rescue puppy.

Offline Cottonflower2

« Reply #20 on: August 03, 2017, 11:09:00 PM »
My mother has a mild fear of dogs. Here's a cute story of why she never wants to adopt an adult dog: Before we got Lyka we were on a long search for a dog as a pet. We were looking at dogs in shelters from 1-3 years old. When we finally thought we had found one that would be a suitable pet for us, we drove to a shelter an hour away. My mom's friend had come along with us, and while we were all meeting the dog, he was checking the dog out. The dog seemed very calm and friendly with all the humans checking him out, until mom's friend touched his leg. The dog lunged and bit him and drew blood.
My mom had this fear even before we started looking for dogs, but this just made it worse. She now only feels comfortable with a puppy that we raised. That's just one of the reasons I'm not going for an adult.

Offline Summertime.and.Azkaban

• Resident Terrier Wrangler
  • Old Timer
  • Holli and Azkaban
« Reply #21 on: August 03, 2017, 11:39:06 PM »
Would she be afraid of a adolescent? Seven to eight months is better than four.

When I said Lyka is your first dog I didn't mean she was the first dog you ever owned. I mean she's the first dog you've attempted advanced training with. Even competition obedience training can be less intense than SD training.

I didn't realize you were still in school. It is going to be really hard to puppy raise, put hours on Lyka and do coursework as well.

What will happen to Lyka when you move on to your own dog? Will your sister be training her? Is she qualified to train a SD or will she have help from an outside trainer? Do you intend to give her what support she gets?

I'm going to be blunt. It seems very likely to me that you do not have the experience to do what you're considering doing. I have had hands on and worked with prospects and SDiTs for six years, have only finished one dog and I would consider myself a novice trainer who couldn't be able to do what you're attempting. And I am a stay at home mom with constant babysitting support to allow me to do what I need to do. Kirsten has about thirty years of experience with training and GSDs in particular if I am not confused, and she had someone else pick her dog for her when it came time to evaluate her breeder's litter.

You are setting yourself up for a wash and overestimating your abilities. I don't know you obviously, but if a woman with thirty years experience got someone else to pick her dog I find it unlikely you will be able to do what she didn't feel comfortable with.

I feel like I'm beating a dead horse. Look for a golden rescue, not individuals. Look for the oldest dog you can. Hire a trainer to make the final decision. Anything less is cutting corners - be it for impatience, financial concerns or pride.

-Azkaban, Rayner, and Chewy-
"I am not interested in picking up crumbs of compassion thrown from the table of someone who considers himself my master. I want the full menu of rights" -Desmond Tutu
PM me about being pen pals or receiving a holiday card in the mail!

Offline Cottonflower2

« Reply #22 on: August 04, 2017, 01:51:44 AM »
Would she be afraid of a adolescent? Seven to eight months is better than four.

When I said Lyka is your first dog I didn't mean she was the first dog you ever owned. I mean she's the first dog you've attempted advanced training with. Even competition obedience training can be less intense than SD training.

I didn't realize you were still in school. It is going to be really hard to puppy raise, put hours on Lyka and do coursework as well.

What will happen to Lyka when you move on to your own dog? Will your sister be training her? Is she qualified to train a SD or will she have help from an outside trainer? Do you intend to give her what support she gets?

I'm going to be blunt. It seems very likely to me that you do not have the experience to do what you're considering doing. I have had hands on and worked with prospects and SDiTs for six years, have only finished one dog and I would consider myself a novice trainer who couldn't be able to do what you're attempting. And I am a stay at home mom with constant babysitting support to allow me to do what I need to do. Kirsten has about thirty years of experience with training and GSDs in particular if I am not confused, and she had someone else pick her dog for her when it came time to evaluate her breeder's litter.

You are setting yourself up for a wash and overestimating your abilities. I don't know you obviously, but if a woman with thirty years experience got someone else to pick her dog I find it unlikely you will be able to do what she didn't feel comfortable with.

I feel like I'm beating a dead horse. Look for a golden rescue, not individuals. Look for the oldest dog you can. Hire a trainer to make the final decision. Anything less is cutting corners - be it for impatience, financial concerns or pride.
As I've said before, my sister will take over Lyka's training as her own SD. How she will go about training her, paying for a trainer or whatever, that is her decision. That's all I plan on saying about that. And what exactly do you mean by support?
I am going to pick the dog that not only seems to have a good temperament, but one that I believe will be suitable for me personally. I will be finding and temperament testing the puppies I find under the advisement of a dog trainer who happens to be a friend of our roommate. He has been training dogs for 40 years, or so I've heard, and he trained our roommate's medical alert SD a few years back. Obviously I did not mention this trainer before, because I wasn't sure if our roommate had stayed in contact with him at the time.

• Old Timer
  • Holli and Azkaban
« Reply #23 on: August 04, 2017, 02:35:24 AM »
You've clearly made up your mind. I'm not going to try to convince you further. But it is very unlikely that a beginning owner trainer will have the skill to select a prospect for themselves and yet you refuse to understand that you are not the exception to this rule.

I feel like I'm too vested in this topic so I'm going to remove myself before I lose what professionalism I've maintained.
"I am not interested in picking up crumbs of compassion thrown from the table of someone who considers himself my master. I want the full menu of rights" -Desmond Tutu

Offline missythewriter

• Mood: Brain fog
  • SDC interest: waiting
« Reply #24 on: August 04, 2017, 07:58:41 AM »
Clearly nothing we say is going to sway you. But man, I came out of my internet hiatus to offer my two cents. All I can say now is good luck. You are setting all the odds against you, and I wish you would do something to lessen your chance of a washout. But I can't make you do anything, so good luck with what you've decided to do.

Offline Cottonflower2

« Reply #25 on: August 04, 2017, 07:50:53 PM »
Clearly nothing we say is going to sway you. But man, I came out of my internet hiatus to offer my two cents. All I can say now is good luck. You are setting all the odds against you, and I wish you would do something to lessen your chance of a washout. But I can't make you do anything, so good luck with what you've decided to do.
You've clearly made up your mind. I'm not going to try to convince you further. But it is very unlikely that a beginning owner trainer will have the skill to select a prospect for themselves and yet you refuse to understand that you are not the exception to this rule.

I feel like I'm too vested in this topic so I'm going to remove myself before I lose what professionalism I've maintained.
Did you see my most recent reply?
I clearly stated that I would have the help of a long time dog trainer when picking a puppy. I don't really understand what you're both talking about at this point.

• Old Timer
  • Holli and Azkaban
« Reply #26 on: August 04, 2017, 08:27:15 PM »
You said you would be doing this under the guidance of a trainer. Not that a trainer would be selecting your puppy.

Different things.

I'm talking about the fact that you are making excuses and brushing off every piece of advice people are giving you. We're not interested in giving you advice anymore because you're not interested in listening.

Offline Cottonflower2

« Reply #27 on: August 04, 2017, 09:06:23 PM »
You said you would be doing this under the guidance of a trainer. Not that a trainer would be selecting your puppy.

Different things.

I'm talking about the fact that you are making excuses and brushing off every piece of advice people are giving you. We're not interested in giving you advice anymore because you're not interested in listening.
It's not as if I'm picking whatever puppy I want. If the trainer doesn't agree that the puppy seems right for the job then I will move on to other puppies. I really don't see how that is going to harm my chances.
It's not that I'm not listening to your advice, and I'm not coming up with excuses, I was just explaining my situation and why I can't do somethings you guys suggested. I appreciate the help you've been trying to offer, but at this point, I feel as if you're trying to put me down by giving a negative response towards all my choices (the breeder, the age, etc.) I did heed your advice on the trainer, but even for that I get a negative response, just because he's not directly handpicking the puppy for me.

Offline Solace

« Reply #28 on: August 04, 2017, 10:00:38 PM »
I think what it happening is that people are worried about consequences for you.  Everyone has heard about puppies with unknown backgrounds leading to very expensive and heart breaking service dog failures.  I am new and, just doing the research I've done, I have come across so many stories of people saying that they were told by so many people not to try with a unknown puppy.  But then they did anyway and they love the dog but all the money and months or years of training were a waste and now they have to start over.  And they're heartbroken and sad and just thought they could do it but everyone else was right.  Now they're a couple years down the line and their service dog money is gone and they still don't have a dog to help them, etc.

People don't want to see other people get hurt.  Or heartbroken.  Or left without a dog that they need.  So many people think they're different and they will have the magic that everyone who tried didn't have.

Honestly in your situation, if 300 were the budget and that decision was made by parents and non-negotiable, I'd try anyway.  I'd know it was probably not smart and likely to fail.  So, I get it.  But people feel an obligation to tell the truth about how unlikely it is to work out.  People willing to tell a hard truth, though, are a valuable thing in one's life.  Try to see that, even if the truth hurts.  If people didn't give a [censored] about you, they'd just tell you what you want to hear.

Offline Cottonflower2

« Reply #29 on: August 04, 2017, 10:33:33 PM »
I know that they're trying to help, I appreciate it, and I've said that. But even after I said I would be getting a trainer, they continue to act like I'm not doing anything to help myself in finding a SD candidate, and that I'm still setting myself up for failure, which I don't understand. Everyone advised me to get a trainer to give me a better chance of finding the right puppy, which is what I've done, but I'm still setting myself up for failure?