Author Topic: Shampoo/conditioner  (Read 974 times)

Offline Birder

• Mood: Okay
  • SDC interest: owner-trainer
Shampoo/conditioner
« on: July 30, 2017, 08:52:51 AM »
Hi!
I was wondering if folks could share their favorite shampoo, conditioner, and other grooming products. Having an SDiT, I'm looking for something pleasant, but not overwhelming. I'm also wondering if there are some products that stand up better when it rains to avoid wet dog smell.

Birder
Jasper - SDiT

Offline Kirsten

• Administrator
  • Have a flufftastic day!
Re: Shampoo/conditioner
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2017, 09:17:57 AM »
I don't there's a shampoo solution to wet dog smell, but I use a golf umbrella to keep us both dry or dry-ish.

You can use human shampoo on a dog if there's a human one you like.  The thing about having to use special shampoo because a dog's skin's pH is different from ours is just a marketing gimmick.  That said, my dog's skin and hair texture are different from mine.  He's also sensitive to perfumey scents.  I like a "pretty" smelling shampoo for myself but for him I'd get unscented or as close to unscented as I can. 

I use Kenic emu oil shampoo that I can purchase in a concentrate through UPCO.com.  I choose it more for the chemicals in it that it won't strip his spot on flea preventive whereas a lot of other shampoos will.  So he always gets a shampoo that uses a coconut base for the surfactant, not sodium lauryl whatsit.  Biogroom protein (I think) also has little added fragrance and will not remove Advantage/Advantix.

You should never use an actual detergent on a dog because that will aggressively strip the oils from the coat as well as the spot on flea/tick preventive.  (ie no dish detergent).

I don't use conditioner on Tardis, but because of his coat I due use detangler products (Tropiclean D-Mat) and protectors (Ice on Ice, THE stuff).  I prefer the Ice on Ice because it includes a sunscreen so his black coat doesn't get those rusty highlights from sunburn in the summer but it's harder to get and sometimes I use THE Stuff instead.  There's also a product called Swishy that a friend of mine with a coatie uses and swears by that I haven't tried yet.

When he was a puppy, Cowboy Magic serum was absolutely the bomb, but it doesn't work as well with his adult coat.

His coat collects little bits of vegetative debris like Velcro and can tangle easily.  So I like the silicon products that make his coat a little slippery which has a side benefit of making it harder for dirt to stick to it.  (I'm mostly after ease in brushing between baths.)
Kirsten and Tardis
In loving memory of Cole (1/11/99 - 6/26/12)  He gave me back my life.

"The one absolute, unselfish friend that man can have in this selfish world -- the one that never proves ungrateful or treacherous -- is his dog." -George G. Vest

Offline Sheenar

• Official Welcomer
  • Mood: Brain fog
  • SDC interest: SD partner
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2017, 09:56:51 AM »
I use a shampoo in bar form for Zeus -the brand is Wondercide -I use the hypoallergenic one because it's easy on Zeus' allergies and it still makes his coat soft.
 https://www.amazon.com/Wondercide-Natural-Pet-Shampoo-Bar/dp/B0124T49MO/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1501426225&sr=8-5&keywords=Wondercide+dog+shampoo

I don't think I'll ever go back to using a liquid dog shampoo. It's so much easier to bathe him with the bar. I wet him, rub the bar all over him to suds him up, rub it in his coat, then rinse him off. I don't have to worry about trying to get liquid shampoo in my hands and getting it on him without spilling it -especially on his belly and legs.

I tried a couple other bars in different brands, but have liked this one the best.

I don't use any other grooming products or conditioner. Zeus is a very wash-and-wear dog. His coat is dense (especially around his neck), but he's good with a bath and a brushing (curry comb, brush, regular comb). He also is my first dog to enjoy being vacuumed. My aide and I periodically will put the brush attachment on and brush him with the vacuum. It helps with the shedding.
Sheena, Zeus, and Marzipan Anne the Kitty of Doom
http://thereisachronichope.blogspot.com/

Offline Azariah

• Old Timer
  • Mood: Tired
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2017, 01:31:44 PM »
I use the Pure Pet line. http://www.purepet.com/

I always dilute shampoo with water or it takes forever to rinse.

I buy regular sized bottles and they last me quite awhile. Of course I don't bathe my own dogs very often.

I use the puppy shampoo on the face as it is tear free.
Regular shampoo on the body.
Degreaser if they get into something horrid.
I use the puppy spray before brushing. Puppy spray even on my adults. The adult spray is too sticky for my liking. Puppy spray has a very pleasant but not too strong smell.
I do NOT use conditioner. It takes FOREVER to dry a Samoyed that has conditioner in it and doesn't seem to offer much benefit. Other breeds may be different.

Invisible physical and mental disabilities.
Advanced experience training obedience dogs. Very new to training service dogs.
Current Samoyeds: Rio (11), Cosmo (3), Serenity (SDiT)

Online Moonsong

• Dog Training Student
  • Old Timer
  • My SD is my Super (hero) Dog
  • Mood: Sad
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2017, 01:35:43 PM »
I use Johnson's Baby Shampoo. There was a period once where I had to groom Max nearly every night for a couple of weeks or so (long story) and it didn't dry out his skin at all and his coat, rather than being damaged, was incredibly soft and lush. You might not get the same result with your dog; it just so happened to work out really well for Max.

We use Suave Professionals for conditioner; it's fairly cheap, is lightly scented, and doesn't appear to damage them at all.
Max - shih tzu/poodle- SDiT  Max's Facebook Page
Kirby - Pied Cockatiel - official bird of SDC
My YouTube channel (I love receiving feedback on my training methods!)

Offline Punktestern

• Loquacious Member
  • The amazing bouncing ferret!
  • Mood: Vulcans have no moods
  • SDC interest: curious
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2017, 01:42:24 PM »
I use Burt's Bees dog shampoo and Espree dog conditioner. They work well enough for Cambrie, and I still haven't used up the original bottle I got when she was a pup, so I haven't tried anything else.

I really like the conditioner. When Cambrie gets damp, you can still smell the conditioner (and yes, I rinse her very thoroughly after her bath), which is very pleasant.

For brushing, I have a zoom-groom and a pin brush. Again, works well enough, I haven't really branched out from those. X- P And a grooming glove, but I have less success with that on Cambrie.
Canine Welfare/Training Technician - Guide Dogs for the Blind
Cambrie - Yellow Lab Female - Guide Dogs for the Blind - Completed Phase 8 of 8 - Waiting for a Match!
PM me for Holiday Cards!

Online Moonsong

• Dog Training Student
  • Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2017, 02:24:51 PM »
Oh, yeah, and then for other products...I don't know brand names, but I use a pin/bristle brush combo (though I'd prefer them separate this is just what we have), a slicker brush, a comb, a pair of toenail clippers (I always forget what they're called, but they're like scissors?), and a pair of old barber shears for the haircuts.

I keep it all in a little box in my room, along with the bag of dog hair (I'm environmental, so I'm trying to use the bag until it's full before throwing it out).

Offline Azariah

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2017, 03:02:55 PM »
I have to tell you that I hated Johnson's baby shampoo on my kids when they were little. There was a lot of residue build up over time. It might work different on a dog but it was horrible on our kid's hair. The pure pet puppy shampoo is tear free. The tear free shampoos we ended up using for my kids were paul mitchell and california baby. The california baby have a lot of great scents.
Invisible physical and mental disabilities.
Advanced experience training obedience dogs. Very new to training service dogs.
Current Samoyeds: Rio (11), Cosmo (3), Serenity (SDiT)

Online Moonsong

• Dog Training Student
  • Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2017, 03:24:26 PM »
I hated Johnson's when I was a kid because it still burned when it got into my eyes :dry:.

We haven't noticed any buildup, so maybe it doesn't work like that on dog hair.

Offline Summertime.and.Azkaban

• Resident Terrier Wrangler
  • Old Timer
  • Holli and Azkaban
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2017, 05:09:24 PM »
I use a handmade soap bar with like oatmeal and some kind of milk on my son. Body and hair, so far it has worked well and he has very long hair. J&J baby shampoo stripped his hair and gave it a very crinkly squeaky texture I didn't like. The soap isn't tear free but we just put a hand on his forehead and hope for the best.

I use garnier fructis on Rayner and Azkaban because it's the shampoo and conditioner combo I use. I used to get big family sized pump jugs of Aussie shampoo and conditioner just for the dogs and it worked well and lasted forever. Chewy uses Dermarest which is a human psoriasis shampoo with salicylic acid, it has significantly decreased the amount of full blown skin infections Chewy gets from his chronic dermatitis. I typically use Herbal Essences tea tree oil shampoo for the plaque psoriasis I get on my scalp, but it doesn't smell very good so I tried to change. Think I need to go back though, the psoriasis is coming back and the Herbal Essences gets rid of it pretty easily.

Nora is a puppy and gets very messy very quickly. We usually wash her with Seventh Generation dish soap and then condition her with the Garnier. There's usually a lot of yuck that I want 100% off, hence the dish soap.

When we're de-fleaing fosters or our own dogs we use a half and half mixture of Dawn dish soap and vinegar, then condition with whatever is available. I hate fleas and try to avoid using pesticides on the dog's actual body, we have access to commercial grade pesticides (you're supposed to have an exterminator's license to use it, I have absolutely no idea how my dad got this stuff) and we spray our house with it about every week. We have a serious roach problem (why are German roaches so hard to kill??) and that usually takes care of the fleas but recently I've been seeing fleas and flea dirt on the dogs. We're spraying under crates, around crates and specific patches of carpet with pesticide now but we're still having trouble. I'm trying an essential oil spray repellent for dogs in hopes of convincing the fleas to jump off into the carpet and die, but thus far no luck. I'll probably end up buying a Seresto collar for Chewy and Comforits for the rest. I think it's my own fault they came back since I didn't spray for a few weeks, and then they came back with a vengeance.

Whal makes a kick butt waterless shampoo. I carry a bottle around in my purse in case we get wet, Az is specifically susceptible to wet dog smell. We rub it in after he gets wet and instead of dog he smells like lavender and chamomile. It really is my favorite product, we use it after baths and when he's working and gets wet. I suggest rubbing your dog down with a hand towel or a flat gerber diaper (most people use them as burp cloths), the pumping the waterless shampoo onto the now damp towel and "drying" the dog again. I've gotten the best coverage with the least wetness that way. Here's a link to the waterless shampoo though you can get it way cheaper in person at Target or Walmart:
https://jet.com/product/detail/1002e537746342f386ddd41f4b7a2400?jcmp=pla:ggl:jd_cons_cwin_pet_supplies_a3:pet_supplies_dog_supplies_dog_grooming_a3:na:PLA_751056203_38865096905_pla-327399719160:na:na:na:2&code=PLA15&pid=kenshoo_int&c=751056203&is_retargeting=true&clickid=04650b94-1f58-42d3-989c-48159aefe913
-Azkaban, Rayner, and Chewy-
"I am not interested in picking up crumbs of compassion thrown from the table of someone who considers himself my master. I want the full menu of rights" -Desmond Tutu
PM me about being pen pals or receiving a holiday card in the mail!

Offline polarmouse

• Mood: Hyper
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2017, 06:28:53 PM »
I use an oatmeal based puppy shampoo that I got when Zoee was a pup. Yes it has lasted almost two years! lol Pin brush for regular up keep, comb for grooming, tear/face wipes for daily face cleaning. Lot's of clippers and scissors for grooming.

I don't think I'll ever go back to using a liquid dog shampoo. It's so much easier to bathe him with the bar. I wet him, rub the bar all over him to suds him up, rub it in his coat, then rinse him off. I don't have to worry about trying to get liquid shampoo in my hands and getting it on him without spilling it -especially on his belly and legs.

Sheenar: What a brilliant idea, bar soap for dogs. Thanks!

Whal makes a kick butt waterless shampoo. I carry a bottle around in my purse in case we get wet, Az is specifically susceptible to wet dog smell. We rub it in after he gets wet and instead of dog he smells like lavender and chamomile.

Summertime.and.Azkaban: I have been trying to find a good waterless, defiantly looking into this.

Offline Suse

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2017, 08:32:12 PM »
I use Earthbath Green Tea Leaf Shampoo.  It is getting very hard to find as the Company is now focusing on shampoos for various problems.  It is the only shampoo I have ever used on him that leaves no odor, nothing that causes his hair to clump, and needs no conditioner.     I bought a huge jug when it was being discontinued and I take it to the groomer with me when he gets groomed, as well as using it between. 

I took him to a few groomers who didn't listen to me and put whiteners and conditioners on him and he ended up a mess. I now have one who agrees with me 100%. They had also been using Earthbath on all of their dogs and are now frustrated at not being able to find any equivalent.  I didn't realize they had run out and picked him up a few weeks ago after they had used a different shampoo. Within two days the silky hair on his  ears was matted  into knots and I had to take him back to be re-groomed. They did not charge me, and were dismayed themselves as the new shampoo they had purchased was highly touted and more expensive.

He is a white standard poodle and doesn't have a dog smell even when wet, but that may be the breed??

Every other shampoo that we have used on him has been frustrating.  When I have tried things like baby shampoo he gets itchy and his silky hair sticks together and collects dirt.  I do think there is something to the PH, even though some people think it isn't true. 

I would get a shampoo with the least ingredients, no preservatives, etc. if I had to find another one.  I am hoping this jug lasts for years:)

Offline Candy3

• Loquacious Member
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2017, 09:03:09 PM »
I originally purchased Eqyss Premier Botanical Pet Shampoo because it's completely non-toxic and gentle.  It can be used on dogs, cats and puppies.
But the results: It leaves the skin healthy and the coat shiny, healthy, soft, brightens the whites, brings out the natural colors and smells wonderful. My dogs have never had that "wet dog" smell.
https://eqyss.com/products/pets/pet-shampoos/premier-pet-shampoo/

Eqyss originally made products for horses, but extended their product line to include pets.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2017, 09:06:30 PM by Candy3 »

Offline Suse

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2017, 08:14:49 PM »
Hmm Candy, that eqyss shampoo sounds interesting. However I went to their site and they currently do not offer an ingredient list, so I will have to pass.

Offline Candy3

• Loquacious Member
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2017, 08:17:21 PM »
I can give you the ingredients, if you like, from the back of my bottle.