Author Topic: Large Increase in Licking  (Read 344 times)

Offline Arrowcom

• Loquacious Member
  • Mood: Happy
  • SDC interest: SD partner
Large Increase in Licking
« on: July 24, 2017, 08:30:10 PM »
  Cindi licks. She is just a licky sort of dog. She loves to give me lots of licks before bed when we sit down and cuddle. That's normal. And we have had to work on stopping her from licking people's feet when the poor unsuspecting soles are wearing sandals.  But for the past two days or so her licking has had a dramatic increase. She has been licking like crazy. It started yesterday when her foot seemed to be bothering her. I checked it out and it seems fine, nothing stuck in it and no cuts, but she went at it for about 20 mins before I told her to stop. Ever since then she has been going crazy. She has been licking herself and me a lot more then usual. If I sit next to her and don't tell her to quite it she will jut lick me for hours. And when she's not licking me she licks herself for a good 20 minutes each time we move from place to place. It was difficult to stop her licking at work today. She knows that she has to be professional, and though I let her lick her paws or something for a minute, she can't just lick herself all day. She usually has no issues settling when I tell her to but not today.

Why the increase in licking!? Her water consumption is normal, and she has gotten a pretty normal amount of exercise. She doesn't seem stressed. Is this a potential health problem? Should I make a vet appointment?
Accept the things you can not change, have the courage to change the things you can, and have the wisdom to know the difference.

Offline Kirsten

• Administrator
  • Have a flufftastic day!
  • Mood: Okay
  • SDC interest: owner-trainer
Re: Large Increase in Licking
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2017, 08:56:30 PM »
I have a possible suspect for increased licking of her own feet because I had a similar situation with Tardis.  It turned out he was walking through pidgeon poop and contracting a fungal infection on his feet in the process.  When I stopped visiting the shop where the pidgeons hung out in great numbers pooping on the sidewalk in front of the shop and washed him thoroughly in an anti-fungal shampoo several times he stopped licking his feet so much.

Another possibility is an allergy.

I also have a possible suspect for increased licking of you in that this time of year people (in the US) tend to sweat more and dogs may lick more because they like the taste of that sweat.

Typically what I think of first when a dog starts licking everything unexpectedly is a nervous issue.  Somehow that seems unlikely with Cyndi.  Has anything changed in her life recently that might be making her feel more stressed than usual?

For Cyndi, my first guess would be a coincidental combination of paw fungus and sweaty human skin or else an allergy.  So what to do about it?  Your vet should be able to diangnose fungus, which can be a secondary issue to allergies as well.  If you haven't changed food recently, then I'd not bother with an elimination diet at this point but try to think about anything that has changed in the environment or maybe try treating with local bee pollen (for seasonal allergies).
Kirsten and Tardis
In loving memory of Cole (1/11/99 - 6/26/12)  He gave me back my life.

"The one absolute, unselfish friend that man can have in this selfish world -- the one that never proves ungrateful or treacherous -- is his dog." -George G. Vest

Offline Arrowcom

• Loquacious Member
  • Mood: Happy
  • SDC interest: SD partner
Re: Large Increase in Licking
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2017, 10:11:15 PM »
Hmm. Those are all good points. I would want to think it was just me except we've had 110+ temperatures  for 6 weeks now. And she really  just started this yesterday. Also, she licks me right after I take a shower so I can't rely on a simple solution. The pigeon poo sounds likely though. There are tones of them chilling around the grassy areas I tend to releave her at at my university. We'll try and steer clear from the worst places. But she isn't focusing on licking one specific spot. Like, she licks her feet but she licks everywhere else too. She did just have a nail trim.  But she seemed fine after.  I'll keep an eye out for everything you mentioned Kirsten, thanks for all of the suggestions. If it doesn't stop by Wednesday  I'll make a vet appointment.
Accept the things you can not change, have the courage to change the things you can, and have the wisdom to know the difference.