Author Topic: Dog hats?  (Read 306 times)

Offline JKmelda

• Old Timer
  • Mood: Exhausted
  • SDC interest: curious
Dog hats?
« on: July 24, 2017, 11:33:36 AM »
I just have a curious question. I've seen pictures of dog hats for sale that are often knitted. I think they can be rather adorable. But it got me thinking. Do the hats do anything? I mean, do dogs lose significant body heat through their heads like humans do?
I've been very low on spoons lately, so I apologize if my posts replies are short and late in coming.

"Can't go over it, Can't go under it, Can't go around it, Got to go through it!"

Offline Kirsten

• Administrator
  • Have a flufftastic day!
  • Mood: Okay
  • SDC interest: owner-trainer
Re: Dog hats?
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2017, 12:16:17 PM »
They lose body heat primarily through tongue, pads, and ears. Heads are generally well furred.

If you want to check your dog's temperature, do you touch his forehead or his flank?  They lose more heat from even the inguinal area than their heads. Dog hats are for fashion statements only.
Kirsten and Tardis
In loving memory of Cole (1/11/99 - 6/26/12)  He gave me back my life.

"The one absolute, unselfish friend that man can have in this selfish world -- the one that never proves ungrateful or treacherous -- is his dog." -George G. Vest

Offline EmmaH

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2017, 01:29:56 PM »
I have a baseball cap style hat for Luca. It gives his eyes some shade. I don't know if it actually helps him. His big blue eyes sometimes seem sensitive to light so I have him wear it if were going on a walk where it's really sunny. Theyre also adorable.

Offline Candy3

• Loquacious Member
  • Mood: Okay
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2017, 01:53:58 PM »
I don't have any hats for Peter Pan, but I do consider them on occasion for those very bright days. Or even Doggles. I'm not into fashion statements, but whatever makes my dog reasonably comfortable and protects his eyes is fine with me.

Offline JKmelda

• Old Timer
  • SDC interest: curious
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2017, 09:39:50 AM »
They lose body heat primarily through tongue, pads, and ears. Heads are generally well furred.

If you want to check your dog's temperature, do you touch his forehead or his flank?  They lose more heat from even the inguinal area than their heads. Dog hats are for fashion statements only.

That's what I thought.
I've been very low on spoons lately, so I apologize if my posts replies are short and late in coming.

"Can't go over it, Can't go under it, Can't go around it, Got to go through it!"