Author Topic: I'm so lucky  (Read 790 times)

Offline Poedog

• SDC interest: ESA owner
I'm so lucky
« on: July 22, 2017, 09:09:49 AM »
Just a little appreciation post I guess?
I'm just so thankful for my sweet dog. I feel like sometimes ESAs get a bad rap, probably because people don't have legitimate ones, etc. And I do wish there was some kind of training standard for them. Poe is VERY well trained ( she was pretty well trained when I got her, thankfully)- very calm always, nonreactive to pretty much everything. We're working on "leave it" but as soon as I gently pull on her leash once, she does. Other dogs she wags her tail at and continues walking or ignores if she's on a leash, etc. She's occasionally very slightly timid as far as service dog standards ( she steps back if someone bends down in her face that she doesn't know, loud noises, etc) but even that is just her looking at whatever is making her nervous and then she's fine. Never seen her scared, just cautious and aware.

But anyway!
She's helped me so much. Now I go out every weekend both days. Before, when I was not at work, I was in bed. She wakes me up in the morning and stands next to my bed and stares until I get up. She lets me know when someone is coming up around behind me (not trained, just a natural response of lifting her head, shifting, etc) and seems to sense when I'm getting anxious and will lean against me, stand in front (across me so her body is blocking me) or behind ( the same way). She's helped my anxiety and depression so much when she's there and I don't feel dependent on her to go out, but she gives me a reason to get up. I'm so thankful for my sweet girl.

Offline Punktestern

• Loquacious Member
  • The amazing bouncing ferret!
  • Mood: Vulcans have no moods
  • SDC interest: curious
Re: I'm so lucky
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2017, 09:32:46 AM »
That's so awesome!! I'm glad she's been such a help to you.
Canine Welfare/Training Technician - Guide Dogs for the Blind
Cambrie - Yellow Lab Female - Guide Dogs for the Blind - Completed Phase 8 of 8 - Waiting for a Match!
PM me for Holiday Cards!

Offline missythewriter

• Mood: Brain fog
  • SDC interest: waiting
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2017, 10:51:02 AM »
That's wonderful! I'm so glad she's been able to help you. She sounds like a wonderful dog.

Offline Mike

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2017, 09:38:49 PM »
Poedog, I feel what you're saying. My Sophie has give me a reason to live, and want to. My Sophie literally saved my life. We're some of the luckiest ppl in the world to have the dogs we do and what our dos do for us..

Online Moonsong

• Dog Training Student
  • Old Timer
  • My SD is my Super (hero) Dog
  • Mood: Sad
  • SDC interest: owner-trainer
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2017, 01:24:02 AM »
I'm glad to hear how much Poe is helping you!! 

Why do I keep imagining a huge fluffy black dog whenever you talk about her?? Poe is a mastiff, right?
Max - shih tzu/poodle- SDiT  Max's Facebook Page
Kirby - Pied Cockatiel - official bird of SDC
My YouTube channel (I love receiving feedback on my training methods!)

Offline TherapyPals

• BANNED
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2017, 08:38:21 PM »
Training for ESAs?!  Well, that would probably only work for dogs.  But what about cats, ferrets, snakes, and all our wonderful, yet untrainable animal friends?

Offline Punktestern

• Loquacious Member
  • The amazing bouncing ferret!
  • Mood: Vulcans have no moods
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2017, 09:56:39 PM »
Training for ESAs?!  Well, that would probably only work for dogs.  But what about cats, ferrets, snakes, and all our wonderful, yet untrainable animal friends?
You just haven't found what motivates them yet. :- ) I've met plenty of cats who've been trained in at least a few things, and I understand ferrets can be trained to do things as well. Maybe not as successfully as dogs, yes, but I would certainly not call them 'untrainable'!
Canine Welfare/Training Technician - Guide Dogs for the Blind
Cambrie - Yellow Lab Female - Guide Dogs for the Blind - Completed Phase 8 of 8 - Waiting for a Match!
PM me for Holiday Cards!

Offline Tuttleturtle

• Board Moderator
  • Mood: Brain fog
  • SDC interest: ESA owner
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2017, 11:31:29 PM »
My cat is more trained than most dogs I know.
http://turtleisaverb.blogspot.com/
Ada - ESA and Migraine Alert Cat
Pippin - pet (washout rehomed to us)

Online Moonsong

• Dog Training Student
  • Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2017, 01:38:51 AM »
If Karen Pryor can train a hermit crab to ring a bell, I think that there's a way to train most animals at least a few things. You just have to figure out what motivates them and how to help them learn (i.e. pretending to yelp when a dog bites you might work for a dog, but will probably not work on a parrot).

Online Moonsong

• Dog Training Student
  • Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2017, 01:47:38 AM »

Also, this is an extremely small-minded view and one that I think could potentially be harmful. The way you seem so surprised at the idea of training an ESA indicates that you don't believe that they ought to be trained. ESAs can be harmful to a person's neighbors/other passengers on an airplane if they aren't well trained. These things can include causing noise disturbances, eliminating inappropriately, and even causing physical harm to people by biting or jumping on them, causing emotional/mental harm to others by being a disturbance or by being ill behaved (i.e. if a person has a severe fear of dogs, which scenario is least triggering, the dog who maintains a working heel with their handler who is quiet and well behaved, or the dog who's barking/growling and pulling on the leash?). Personally, I believe that every dog should have a certain amount of training, but especially when it comes to animals who we are forcing other people to have prolonged exposure to.

Also (and this goes for dogs as well as other animals), I believe it's a seriously harmful thought that ESAs shouldn't have to be trained. If the animal can't be trained to eliminate properly, not cause a disturbance, etc then it shouldn't be an ESA because it will disrupt the lives of people around it and cause an undue burden. It's an irresponsible mindset to say something like "Well I'm sorry that my cat bit and scratched you from my arms as we were passing through the airplane aisle, but I'm not responsible for your injury! You can't train a cat!" or to say to a landlord "sorry that my ESA parrot pooped all over the apartment and ripped up the blinds, furniture, cabinets, and carpeting. It's not my fault, though; you can't train a bird!" If you can't control and be responsible for your animal, you need to own up to that, not use the impossibility of training as an excuse.

Offline SandyStern

• Official Welcomer
  • Mood: Happy
  • SDC interest: SD partner
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2017, 12:25:18 PM »
Poe Dog, thank you so much for this eloquent bit about the importance of ESAs.  They are not second-class citizens, but they all get a bad rap from the owners who think they get access rights.

And as for training, I had an eye doctor who trained llamas to distinguish colors. Just for fun.

Offline mommagrizzly

• Loquacious Member
  • Mood: Happy
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2017, 05:56:45 PM »

Most animals are trainable to a certain degree. You can train cats and ferrets. Heck, you can train chickens. Just about any animal is trainable in some way or another. You just have to know how to do it. It's all about finding out how they learn, and what motivates them.
Do what you think you can't do
Keturah's FB Page
PM me about being pen pals

Offline Kirsten

• Administrator
  • Have a flufftastic day!
  • Mood: Okay
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2017, 07:21:36 PM »
I've taught cats to use a litter box.  I've also taught them to jump through hoops, gimme five, reach into a bag to pull out a treat with a paw, meow on cue, push a lever, open a door and retrieve.

There's a thing on YouTube about training aquarium fish and they're not so very smart.

Anyway, the point is that an ESA NEEDS sufficient training to live peacefully among humans.  This means potty training for dogs and cats, leash manners for dogs, and anything else a well behaved pet of a given species should know to not be a nuisance to neighbors and landlords.

That doesn't mean you have to stop training there.  I highly encourage people to continue in training with their animal because training grows your relationship with your animal partner.  Training is fun for both parties when it's done right.  Training helps to secure an animal's future, even if something should happen to the human caregiver they have now.  Training reduces conflict with neighbors and landlords and makes life easier.
Kirsten and Tardis
In loving memory of Cole (1/11/99 - 6/26/12)  He gave me back my life.

"The one absolute, unselfish friend that man can have in this selfish world -- the one that never proves ungrateful or treacherous -- is his dog." -George G. Vest

Offline Kirsten

• Administrator
  • Have a flufftastic day!
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2017, 07:23:17 PM »
Fish agility equipment, cool video on YouTube:  https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=fPyWR89CeiE
Kirsten and Tardis
In loving memory of Cole (1/11/99 - 6/26/12)  He gave me back my life.

"The one absolute, unselfish friend that man can have in this selfish world -- the one that never proves ungrateful or treacherous -- is his dog." -George G. Vest

Offline Suse

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2017, 09:34:08 PM »
Fascinating fish training!