Author Topic: Puppy whining and Barking at night  (Read 527 times)

Offline m0mof6

• Mood: Okay
  • SDC interest: curious
Puppy whining and Barking at night
« on: July 20, 2017, 02:07:42 AM »
I've had Geo for about 4 weeks. Except for the first night he has always gone to bed at night easily. First we had him sleep on a pillow on the floor under the kitchen table and then we started crate training.

For 3 weeks he has been sleeping in his crate with no problems (with bathroom breaks as scheduled according to need).

The past 2 night he has been barking and whining and whimpering without stop. Tonight I  am spoiling him a bit and sitting in the kitchen ignoring him as he falls asleep. This is what we did the first couple of nights slowly moving out of the room until we just went to bed.

Now for the question (if you haven't guessed yet :lol: )

What could have happened to change his bedtime behavior and what can/should we do to help return him to his previous good bedtime?

Guesses we have are:

that my sister's visit last week threw him off (her last night on town she woke early and let him out but that was morning not night)

Or the fact that prior to last week he was mainly in the kitchen (with supervision at all times during the day) and now he is in the living room more since he hasn't had an accident for a while and he wants to be in there at night (he has been loving naps on the couch with us something we agreed as a family was fine now and when he gets bigger)

Offline Summertime.and.Azkaban

• Resident Terrier Wrangler
  • Old Timer
  • Holli and Azkaban
  • Mood: Tired
  • SDC interest: owner-trainer
Re: Puppy whining and Barking at night
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2017, 02:26:56 AM »
I'd guess the move to the living room.

We had problems with our foster puppy and crate training, and moving the crate definitely made it worse. She was very vocal and incessant, I had the pleasure of taking her away from her litter for the first time ever so she was homesick AND upset about the crate the first few nights. It was loud, ear piercing. She's a houndy dog and so her yodel was natural and very much like a bay.

We started her off in a cat carrier on the bed. Stuck my fingers in it and slept that way for a few nights. Lowered her onto the floor next to the bed and let her yodel, sometimes I'd sleep with my fingers through the crate and sometimes she got put in the closet to cry it out so she wouldn't wake up our son. After that we moved her into the living room into a wire crate right next to my son's pack and play. She was mad about that and yodeled all night for a night or too. Then put her under the kitchen table to save on space and she yodeled all night, again.

It was exhausting and frustrating. She still wakes us up in the middle of the night crying even though she can hold it through the night. She just wakes up, cries to see if we'll let her out then goes back to sleep. She also screams when someone else gets let out and she's jealous, or if she's bored, or if something outside the crate is more interesting than sitting quietly.  She is an incredibly vocal dog, and it gets old fast.

Unless your guy is the spawn of a toddler and a banshee, like mine, I would say he's just lonely and uncomfortable because he got moved. Make sure you're feeding every meal in his crate and see if having a lovey like a teddy or an old shirt helps him.

Most puppies cry during crate training, it's part of the deal. I wouldn't give in, just put him up and let him cry as long as he has everything he needs. I know that can be hard but eventually he's got to learn that crying will not make you come keep him company.
-Azkaban, Rayner, and Chewy-
"I am not interested in picking up crumbs of compassion thrown from the table of someone who considers himself my master. I want the full menu of rights" -Desmond Tutu
PM me about being pen pals or receiving a holiday card in the mail!

Offline Kirsten

• Administrator
  • Have a flufftastic day!
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2017, 03:40:27 AM »
When something changes without explanation one thing to consider is illness.

It sounds like several things may have changed at about the same time so one way to check whether one of them is behind it is to put things back as they were and see what happens.

Now, if pup is being noisy because he doesn't like that his crate was moved, I'd keep it moved and toss a sheet or towel over the crate to darken it because in the future there may come times when the crate has to be somewhere he doesn't choose, such as when he is boarded, when he spends overnight at the vet's office, when we're on vacation, when we move to a new home, etc.  So I want my pups to generalize crating in a variety of locations.  This kind of problem is easiest nipped in the bud, meaning you suffer less sleep disturbance if you push through the first time it happens than if you give in and return the crate planning to address it later.

Some general rules for behavior modification:
1.  Never open the crate door or show the dog attention while the noise is happening.  At most, approach the crate to toss a towel or sheet over it (this will silence many dogs).
2.  If you suspect it's about a need to toilet or that it might be about toileting, go ahead and take him out on leash to the designated potty area and be as boring as you can possibly manage, then return him to his crate with as little fuss as possible.
3.  If you are certain pup is well and this is a bad habit and nothing else, then you can correct noisiest with a squirt bottle or plant mister.  Say, "quiet," count "one" silently in your head to give him a chance to stop and therefore receive praise, and if he didn't stop then spritz with water.  Some dogs will stop fussing when spritzed because they are suprised and you should reinforce the quiet immediately.  Others will consider a spritz in the face to be aversive and will stop for that reason.  You can still praise for the quiet.  In the grand scheme of things, a squirt of water in the face is a mild aversive and should not do any harm to him so long as kids don't get hold of the mister and abuse it.

If the pup is fussing out of illness or unmet need (like need to toilet), correcting him can break trust.  So you have to be 100% certain he's doing it out of boredom or seeking attention and not illness or need before turning to correction.
Kirsten and Tardis
In loving memory of Cole (1/11/99 - 6/26/12)  He gave me back my life.

"The one absolute, unselfish friend that man can have in this selfish world -- the one that never proves ungrateful or treacherous -- is his dog." -George G. Vest

Online Moonsong

• Dog Training Student
  • Old Timer
  • My SD is my Super (hero) Dog
  • Mood: Sad
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2017, 10:04:40 AM »
I think it might also be possible that this is a sort of testing of boundaries. It might be the move to the living room, but it might also be that the pup got the idea that you might come if he cries and is testing it out (like Holly said that her pup does sometimes).

I don't know for sure if this is the case, but I thought I'd point out the possibility.

Max had a huge problem with freaking out in the mornings because he heard my family out and about and I was still asleep (his crate was in my room). So he would cry his little head off, and bark very loudly, at about 4 or 5 am because my dad was up. We managed to slowly (so excruciatingly slowly) break the habit. Then, we phased out the crate (it took up way too much space in my room, otherwise I would have just kept it out for him) and replaced it with a nice cushy bed (and a few months later a nice cot as well) and the whole trial started all over again. Rather than learning to stay quiet until it was time to get up, he had learned to stay quiet in the crate, so we had to regeneralize the whole thing.

The worst part was that my family would hear him barking and crying (mainly my parents), would feel bad for him, and would then let him out. This meant that it's taken up until a few months ago for him to stop waking me up in the morning crying and scratching at the door. Thanks a lot, Mom and Dad :facepalm:. What I had ended up doing was sending him to his cot (which has the same rules as a crate without the training; he's allowed to do whatever he wants as long as it's quiet and all four paws remain off the floor until he's released) until it was time to get up. After awhile, he started to jump up on the bed with me and snuggle to alleviate his upset about not being able to go out when everyone else was. Now he just sleeps in with me, and I get to sleep in as late as I want. One time, he even slept in very late with me when I had a migraine :cool:. If he decides that I've slept in late enough, he gets up on the bed and snuggles with me.

So I recommend that whatever you do, be consistent from day one. NEVER let him get away with it if you can help it. If he's crying for attention or because of a new environment, it's important to nip that right in the bud.
Max - shih tzu/poodle- SDiT  Max's Facebook Page
Kirby - Pied Cockatiel - official bird of SDC
My YouTube channel (I love receiving feedback on my training methods!)

Offline m0mof6

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2017, 11:27:00 AM »
Thanks, I'm pretty sure it's behavior/attention getting. I'm leaning toward the thought that since my sister let him out when he asked he thinks (or hopes) that is now an option.

His crate is still in the kitchen. What I meant by him being in the living room more is during the day he is allowed access to both the living room and the kitchen as opposed to mainly the kitchen in case of accidents.

Last night I sat in the kitchen on my tablet so he could see me but also so I was busy and not giving him attention. After a while He settled down and fell asleep after a while. When I was sure he was alseep, I went to bed and 20 minutes later he began barking and whining. And continued for another 2 hours until he had a bathroom break. He then started barking and whining on and off (more on then off) until morning.

Since he was up most of the night, I plan on NOT letting him nap as much today so he will be more tired tonight and hopefully sleep more. If this is a bad idea please tell me. I've done it with my kids before but this is new territory for me.

Offline Summertime.and.Azkaban

• Resident Terrier Wrangler
  • Old Timer
  • Holli and Azkaban
  • Mood: Tired
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2017, 01:09:47 PM »
I'd keep him busy and let him konk out tonight. Remind me how old puppy is, I think he's around 12 weeks right?
-Azkaban, Rayner, and Chewy-
"I am not interested in picking up crumbs of compassion thrown from the table of someone who considers himself my master. I want the full menu of rights" -Desmond Tutu
PM me about being pen pals or receiving a holiday card in the mail!

Offline m0mof6

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2017, 02:30:46 PM »
Yeah- he's 13 weeks.